Just watched the original Matrix...

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
It is still the best! :p

I've only seen Reloaded and Revolutions once, but I find myself watching the original time and time again!

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: PipBoy
it really buries the sequels.
Undoubtedly. While I liked Reloaded when I first saw it, it became rather pointless once Revolutions sucked so bad.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
They turned some wonderful concepts that were developed in the first film, and turned them into typical Hollywood cheeze.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Wingznut
Originally posted by: PipBoy
it really buries the sequels.
Undoubtedly. While I liked Reloaded when I first saw it, it became rather pointless once Revolutions sucked so bad.

Exactly.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
It's the only one that's worth anything at all.
It's a great flick. The sequels were unworthy of bearing the same name. They were complete rubbish.

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
i just saw it for the first time about a month ago, and i must say i liked it. despite my hatred for keanu. i have no desire to see the other two, since everyone says they suck.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
They turned some wonderful concepts that were developed in the first film, and turned them into typical Hollywood cheeze.

I would say just the opposite, actually. The original was, IMO, a great Hollywood movie, which, while it had some highfalutin' aspirations, was fundamentally a fairly typical action film (though an unusually good one).

The second and third movies were, to me, far less typical of other Hollywood fare, since they were much structurally complex and ambitious than the first. Unfortunately they could not achieve their ambitions, and each was a complete incoherent mess.

PhaZe

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 1999
The best movie as a whole was definately the original, but the best scene hands down I thought was the car chase in Reloaded.
From the cadillac bursting out of the garage till neo swooping morpheus and the keymaker off the 18 wheeler.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: PhaZe
The best movie as a whole was definately the original, but the best scene hands down I thought was the car chase in Reloaded.
From the cadillac bursting out of the garage till neo swooping morpheus and the keymaker off the 18 wheeler.

that was a good scene...however, don't tell me Trin's bike couldn't outrun an 18 wheeler?
rolleye.gif

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I just re-watched fellowship of the rings last night. I didn't realize that the Elf King (Elrond) = Agent Smith = Hugo Weaving until then.

Anyway, it's hard to watch him play the elf king when I keep hearing him as Agent Smith. Maybe there'll be a 4th LOTR or Matrix movie and it'll be about how it's all another matrix and Elrond is really Agent Smith there... or not. :)

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: DaWhim
matrix reloaded and revolution, not worth to mention

You see here is the biggest problem.

THEY WERE GOOD FILMS.

But, they were over-hyped. Many people expected the same ground-breaking effects and ideas that the original gave, and when it was more of the same, people were disappointed.

I avoided all hype, all previews/interviews/reviews of it, and went in with an open mind, expecting more of the same (i knew it wouldn't be as groundbreaking) and I enjoyed both Reloaded and Revolutions.

Confused

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: dman
I just re-watched fellowship of the rings last night. I didn't realize that the Elf King (Elrond) = Agent Smith = Hugo Weaving until then.

Anyway, it's hard to watch him play the elf king when I keep hearing him as Agent Smith. Maybe there'll be a 4th LOTR or Matrix movie and it'll be about how it's all another matrix and Elrond is really Agent Smith there... or not. :)

LOL! Frodo is the one?! on nooooes! :p

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: FreshPrince

Naw, not Frodo... Samwise! ;)

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by: FreshPrince

MISTER ARAGON!

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Confused

THEY WERE GOOD FILMS.

But, they were over-hyped. Many people expected the same ground-breaking effects and ideas that the original gave, and when it was more of the same, people were disappointed.

I avoided all hype, all previews/interviews/reviews of it, and went in with an open mind, expecting more of the same (i knew it wouldn't be as groundbreaking) and I enjoyed both Reloaded and Revolutions.

Confused
You know what... I said the VERY SAME THING about Reloaded. I even wrote a lengthy post about hype and how people buy into too much, thus ruining their experiences.

However... Revolutions was so bad that it ruined Reloaded for me. Reloaded raised many questions (as a Part 2 of a trilogy should), but then Revolutions failed to deliver, rendering Reloaded utterly useless.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Wingznut
Originally posted by: Confused

THEY WERE GOOD FILMS.

Confused
You know what... I said the VERY SAME THING about Reloaded. I even wrote a lengthy post about hype and how people buy into too much, thus ruining their experiences.

However... Revolutions was so bad that it ruined Reloaded for me. Reloaded raised many questions (as a Part 2 of a trilogy should), but then Revolutions failed to deliver, rendering Reloaded utterly useless.

I feel exactly the same, I loved Reloaded but Revolutions left too many things unanswered

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
(REVOLUTIONS SPOILERS BELOW)

I disagree with others about the sequels. I think they were good movies. People seem to hate them for a few reasons:

1) Humanity wasn't saved... but could it really have been? Do you think little Zion could ever destroy all machines on earth and free the "slaves" ? I don't think so. And I think this "peace" between the machines at the end is just temporary. In the end I think the machines will conquer Zion.

2) Neo and Trinity die. I can just imagine how much this traumatized those who wore trenchcoats, leather and dorky sunglasses to the movie and waited 3 days in line. Enough said :)

3) Most of Revolutions was "In the real world" I beg to counter that this is the more important area. Zion was the center of all three movies, its just that, by introduction the first movie HAD to have so much time in the matrix.

4) Why must everything end happily? Why couldn't Morpheus and everyone else have died? It would have made sense to me that they couldn't defeat the machines.

Overall I had a couple things that bothered me--namely that whole "there has been Neos before you and will be after you" non-stop cycle of junk. I wish that this was the first matrix (other then the one that failed) and only that.

I like to watch the first movie on its own though. It makes a great movie and you don't even need sequels. The part where Neo flies up into the sky at the end leaves your imagination to think they will conquer the computers (if that is your idea of a happy ending) and free humanity one at a time.