Just installed the Twin Turbo on my 4870 1 Gb :-)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Actually running furmark they get to about 90-95. Idle about 60 and load on normal games about 80 not so bad really. Remember their's a fan right on top of them spinning 50%

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: zod96
Actually running furmark they get to about 90-95. Idle about 60 and load on normal games about 80 not so bad really. Remember their's a fan right on top of them spinning 50%

I myself installed an Accelero S1, just to see what happens. And the VRMs were hitting 95 C with a bigger heatsink on them, then that you've used, until I stopped the test. I wouldn't feel safe having something on my videocard at 95 C, but well that is just me.

Have you used Furmark 1.5.0, the "xtreme burning mode", after renaming the executable? My stock cooler at 66% has the VRMs hitting 100C with that test. I guess you'll be way over 120 C with yours.

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Originally posted by: error8
I myself installed an Accelero S1, just to see what happens. And the VRMs were hitting 95 C with a bigger heatsink on them, then that you've used, until I stopped the test. I wouldn't feel safe having something on my videocard at 95 C, but well that is just me.

Have you used Furmark 1.5.0, the "xtreme burning mode", after renaming the executable? My stock cooler at 66% has the VRMs hitting 100C with that test. I guess you'll be way over 120 C with yours.
Using Furmark renamed draws way more current than any game today. My 4870 1GB usually will draw 50-52a vddc overclocked, but with furmarks I've seen others hit 80a.

I can't see the point in pushing the card 150% harder than any real game, which is why I would stay away from this program.

If you do want to run this program with the twin turbos you'll need to use the stock base plate.
http://i28.photobucket.com/alb.../Computer/DSC06650.jpg

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007

Originally posted by: boe
Great pictures - by any chance can you give the width of the card including the fan at the widest point? I'd love to find out if I could fit a crossfire config in my PC.

Thanks!

I had a pair of the 4870s with the same coolers, you can fit them for crossfire, the problem is that the inside card sucks hot air off the back of the outside card and overheated. It did not work for me (I had to go back to the stock cooler on that card)