Just installed the Twin Turbo on my 4870 1 Gb :-)

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Just installed the Twin Turbo on my 4870 :) This thing rocks! I have it set to 50% fan speed and its still dead silent I can't hear it at all. And best of all my temps are far better than I expected.

Idle : 44 Load: 62 That's lower then idle with the stock cooler :)

Best $40 I ever spent :) and its also plugged into the card so its nice and neat...

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Is the HIS model that loud after using the fan fix? Did your ambient temp go up now that's not exhausting the heat outside?

I'm asking cause I got a PowerColor 1GB reference model coming monday, and I'm hoping the fan fix isn't that loud. My 8800GTS fan @ 50% is really quiet and I prefer exhausting the heat outside the case.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Well anything over 30% fan speed on the stock cooler to me was loud :) I'm a silence freak so it might be different for you. And no my cpu temps and hd temps stayed the same :) which is cool. I just can't believe how quiet this cooler is even at 50% fan speed I can't even hear it. I put it to 70% then I could hear it, but it was still quieter than the stock fan. At 50% it keeps my 4870 at 44 which is perfect :) and the vrm's are also only about 60 which is nothing. The install was a piece of cake. The only thing is the bottom ramsink will hit the heat pipe on the cooler, but all you have to do is slightly bend the heat pipe just barely and it will clear it no problem. Although I've got some custom ramsinks and vrm's coming tuesday that screw on so I don't have to worry about the things ever falling off :) Here's the kit I was talking about http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/cuiati48mevr.html

I'll throw up some pictures later in the week when I install the custom ramsinks. If any of you out their want a silent and very good cooling solution one that's way better than the stock one, get the twin turbo its amazing. Its very low profile too very nice and neat looking and I love how you plug the fans into the card itself so you don't have another wire hanging around to another fan header...

Shooks

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001
Well like SSChevy my Powercolor is getting here on Wednesday and if I can't take the fan noise on it, you have convinced me to get this sucker. Will look into that kit at sidewinder also, thanks for the link.

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Just checking out those custom memory and vrm cooling kit, also thanks for the link. When you get them installed can you please post your VRM temps?

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
OK you got it no problem, pictures coming. The ramsinks and vrm's that come with the cooler work fine. Its just I wanted it to look neater :) So I got the custom kit. If you want to save the money just get the cooler.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: zod96
OK you got it no problem, pictures coming. The ramsinks and vrm's that come with the cooler work fine. Its just I wanted it to look neater :) So I got the custom kit. If you want to save the money just get the cooler.

Those are so expensive! You pay for them the price for a whole cooler!

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Are the physical dimensions of the Turbo heatsink different from those of the Accelero S1 Rev. 2? Could you measure? The reason I ask is I tried putting an Accelero S1 Rev. 2 on my 4870 and it could not adequately cool the card, even with a 120mm fan on it (tried several different mounts, pastes, extra pressure, etc., no good). Anyway, I'm curious to see if this is a better buy.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Yeah I know :-( But I like the quality of them, they screw on so they'll never fall off and they cool better than the ramsinks that come with the cooler and they look great. But I agree they are expensive and the stock cooler ramsinks work nearly as good, for me its just a matter of looks and piece of mind knowing that these ramsinks will never fall off. I've had cards in the past fry because some ramsinks fell off and I didn't know it until it was too late and it fryed my memory. Here is a picture of the ramsinks installed. Its not my card but it gives you an idea....http://img399.imageshack.us/my...age=4870test038va5.jpg

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
You say your VRMs are at 60C?? On idle or at load? Did you also have something on them, until your kit will arrive?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: MrK6
Are the physical dimensions of the Turbo heatsink different from those of the Accelero S1 Rev. 2? Could you measure? The reason I ask is I tried putting an Accelero S1 Rev. 2 on my 4870 and it could not adequately cool the card, even with a 120mm fan on it (tried several different mounts, pastes, extra pressure, etc., no good). Anyway, I'm curious to see if this is a better buy.

You've said in another thread that you volt modded the card. The S1 seems to reach it's limits at around 120-130 W of heat and if you exceed that, it will just overheat the GPU, no matter what fans you put on it.

I know that when I was feeding my 8800 GT with more then 1,4 V, the S1 was giving 90 C or so. I imagine that on the 4870 it hits the wall much faster.

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
My VRM's are idle at 60 and load about 75 :) The twin turbo is about half the height of the S1 but it has 2 80mm fans blowing 40CFM across the board, vrms gpu etc. And yeah I had the stock cooler on them before the twin turbo arrived. I must say I am very very impressed with this cooler, and the fact you can plug it into the card itself and still have control it threw the CCC or rivatuner is great.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: error8
You've said in another thread that you volt modded the card. The S1 seems to reach it's limits at around 120-130 W of heat and if you exceed that, it will just overheat the GPU, no matter what fans you put on it.

I know that when I was feeding my 8800 GT with more then 1,4 V, the S1 was giving 90 C or so. I imagine that on the 4870 it hits the wall much faster.
Ah, great, that's what I was looking for. The 4870 probably puts that out close to that at stock, so it was definitely reaching the thermal capacity of the cooler. Good to know, thanks.

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Looks very clean, nice. Just wish they would include some nice bolt-on vrm and memory sinks with the twin turbo. Got my 4870 today and anything overy 30% fan speed starts to get noisy, but cooler is strong. There's got to be a way to reduce the noise of the stock cooler.

Internets

Sep 11, 2008
I have the Twin Turbo on my HD4870 as well and I am impressed with its performance and relative silence. I did not install the ramsinks that came with the TwinTurbo because the thermal tape they used not sticking-at-all.

http://www.staticdream.com/upload/files/1/rivatuner.JPG

These are my temps at idle without the ramsinks. Do you think they will be okay? I run my TwinTurbo at 75% with the side panel off.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007

Internets

Sep 11, 2008
Originally posted by: Internets
I have the Twin Turbo on my HD4870 as well and I am impressed with its performance and relative silence. I did not install the ramsinks that came with the TwinTurbo because the thermal tape they used not sticking-at-all.

http://www.staticdream.com/upload/files/1/rivatuner.JPG

These are my temps at idle without the ramsinks. Do you think they will be okay? I run my TwinTurbo at 75% with the side panel off.

I should mention I put heat sinks on the RAM just on the VRAM.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
You could have done a better job with cable routing!!!

;) :beer: