Just got a 9654 Genoa ** Motherboard /ram/heatsink/CPU are here !!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I found and bought the memory and the motherboard. I found a decent cooler, but no way to buy it. Here:

Lori 4U Server Active AMD Sp5 LGA6096 Socket Cpu Cooler

Lori AMD SP5 4U-K45 cpu cooler is designed for AMD Sp5 LGA 6096 socket, Aluminum stacked fin soldered on the copper base and 5 heat pipes up to TDP 350W for 4U server solution. The Sp5 4U cooler has been fully tested and validated by Lori to ensure the best quality and cooling performance.

Anything better out there ?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Congrats!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Did you fill out the request for quote form? I am not sure why you say you can't buy that cooler...
I did. Its not a form, they take you to a web page to fill out an "inquiry". Why you can't just buy it, I don't know Unless they expect to sell hundreds to a business. What normal "user" would buy a 9654 Genoa 96core CPU ?

ovidiu

Apr 2, 2023
I'm interested in buying such a heatsink as well. It's amazing how few cooling products are out there for EPYC Genoa processors.

I'm looking at the Supermicro H13SSL-NT motherboard with an EPYC 9374F processor. The manual for the motherboard shows some passive heatsink but I'd like to use an active heatsink instead of required massive ventilation from my case. I'm hoping to keep the machine under my desk, so as little noise as possible would be ideal. The Lori heatsink looks like it fits the bill. Noctua doesn't seem to have a heatsink for SP5 sockets yet.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
I'm interested in buying such a heatsink as well. It's amazing how few cooling products are out there for EPYC Genoa processors.

I'm looking at the Supermicro H13SSL-NT motherboard with an EPYC 9374F processor. The manual for the motherboard shows some passive heatsink but I'd like to use an active heatsink instead of required massive ventilation from my case. I'm hoping to keep the machine under my desk, so as little noise as possible would be ideal. The Lori heatsink looks like it fits the bill. Noctua doesn't seem to have a heatsink for SP5 sockets yet.

EKWB makes a water block for the SP5 in two variations. One with side 1/8" threaded ports and one with top 1/4" threaded ports. Not sure if water cooling is an option for you, but it'll be the quietest solution.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Here on the other side of the pond, the 9004 series Epycs are readily available in retail as well. But SP5 motherboards are nowhere to be seen, for now.

Lori 4U Server Active AMD Sp5 LGA6096 Socket Cpu Cooler
"CPU TDP 350 W"
"Noise level 32.00dBA (MAX)"
I have doubts. It's a tower cooler for 120mm fans, hence not a lot of radiator surface. Worse than Noctua's largest SP3 tower cooler.

Compare and contrast with the surface implemented in this solution:
https://www.servethehome.com/massive-microsoft-azure-hbv4-amd-epyc-genoa-heatsink/
Although this radiator is for two CPUs, not one. It still needs high-speed fans, naturally.

EKWB is going to make a waterblock:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-pro-cpu-wb-sp5-rack-ni-acetal
(Edit: Oops, I didn't notice Skillz's post.)
Delta and Dynatron already have waterblocks too. But I don't know if they are available in retail anywhere.

(I know, there are a few reasons to stick with air cooling. But 360 W per socket calls for larger radiators than traditional CPU air coolers bring to the table.)

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Here on the other side of the pond, the 9004 series Epycs are readily available in retail as well. But SP5 motherboards are nowhere to be seen, for now.

"CPU TDP 350 W"
"Noise level 32.00dBA (MAX)"
I have doubts. It's a tower cooler for 120mm fans, hence not a lot of radiator surface. Worse than Noctua's largest SP3 tower cooler.

Compare and contrast with the surface implemented in this solution:
https://www.servethehome.com/massive-microsoft-azure-hbv4-amd-epyc-genoa-heatsink/
Although this radiator is for two CPUs, not one. It still needs high-speed fans, naturally.

Delta and Dynatron already have waterblocks too. But I don't know if they are available in retail anywhere.

(I know, there are a few reasons to stick with air cooling. But 360 W per socket calls for larger radiators than traditional CPU air coolers bring to the table.)
You don't have a Europe version of newegg ? Its available here, and it was on another site, but sold out recently. $715 shipped for me.

Supermicro Server Motherboard MBD-H13SSL-N​

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014

That one isn't one a regular consumer should buy for combability sakes. It uses 1/8" threaded ports for the in and out water ports. It's designed to be used in a 1U server chassis where top clearance is an issue.

This is the one you should buy that uses 1/4" threaded ports on the top.

It'll be compatible with existing water cooling hardware since nearly all consumer stuff uses 1/4" threaded ports.

You can buy 1/8" to 1/4" adapters and I think you can even buy 1/8" to 1/2" OD fittings for the 1/8" port, but not a lot of water cooling gear uses 1/8" threaded ports so you probably wont be able to use it when you retire that system and upgrade to another system you intend to water cool.

Reactions: StefanR5R

Markfw

May 16, 2002
192 gig of DDR5-4800 RDIMM added !

And the heatsink is here. 320 watt rated ?? compared to the NH-U14s at 180 (or 250, could not find out for sure)

Attachments

• 20230406_155300[1].jpg
    20230406_155300[1].jpg
    870.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230406_155555[1].jpg
    20230406_155555[1].jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002

In my latest email reply, she said it was $54 for shipping. That $110 total, but nobody else has anything close. Lets see if this works.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
That one isn't one a regular consumer should buy for combability sakes. It uses 1/8" threaded ports for the in and out water ports. It's designed to be used in a 1U server chassis where top clearance is an issue.

This is the one you should buy that uses 1/4" threaded ports on the top.
Thanks. I don't know why only the former one showed when I browsed the site…

You don't have a Europe version of newegg ? Its available here, and it was on another site, but sold out recently. $715 shipped for me.
There are of course several equivalents, but none of them have SP5 boards listed yet. As far as Supermicro gear is concerned in particular, most if not all of them might depend on a single European distributor. — Correction: I found one German web shop now which has got the H13SSL-N on offer, € 729,– including tax, plus shipping. The site claims 3…5 days delivery time.

And the heatsink is here. 320 watt rated ?? compared to the NH-U14s at 180 (or 250, could not find out for sure)
Looks like it has got a high speed fan attached. If that one draws air at room temperature (i.e. doesn't accidentally pull air from a GPU exhaust), it might manage. It's of course not quite the solution of the kind which @ovidiu is looking for.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
There are of course several equivalents, but none of them have SP5 boards listed yet. As far as Supermicro gear is concerned in particular, most if not all of them might depend on a single European distributor. — Correction: I found one German web shop now which has got the H13SSL-N on offer, € 729,– including tax, plus shipping. The site claims 3…5 days delivery time.

Looks like it has got a high speed fan attached. If that one draws air at room temperature (i.e. doesn't accidentally pull air from a GPU exhaust), it might manage. It's of course not quite the solution of the kind which @ovidiu is looking for.
I got this one !

Looks pretty good, but I bet Noctura could beat them with a U14 variant.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Its different from the J12. Just look at the foot print (top view) of the fins. There are some dimples in the middle of one while not on the other. The fins extend past the side screws on one and have a notch for a screw driver while the other one doesn't.

It seems the fins do extend past the screws on the other, but the shroud makes it appear as if it doesn't when looking at the top.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I meant the photo in post #10.
Yes, I have a J12, but then I found this other one rated at 400 watts, and a 120 mm fan (maybe 92) from aliexpress. Its on the way !
1680978663260.png

Edit: Yes, I found the spec. 92mm 3800 much quieter than 80mm 8000, and bigger heatsink.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, I got notice today that the cooler above will be here May 1st, but today, the main CPU came ! I am afraid to put the smaller cooler on it, as it might take a lot to remove it. So here it is ! And the motherboard is not even EATX or SSL, just regular ATX ! That damn CPU weighs as much as 2 EPYC 7742's or 7V12's !

Attachments

• 20230411_141344[1].jpg
    20230411_141344[1].jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 32

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
OK, I got notice today that the cooler above will be here May 1st, but today, the main CPU came ! I am afraid to put the smaller cooler on it, as it might take a lot to remove it. So here it is ! And the motherboard is not even EATX or SSL, just regular ATX ! That damn CPU weighs as much as 2 EPYC 7742's or 7V12's !
Impressive board. What is the Lattice FPGA for?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I have torqueing tools coming tomorrow. I am going ahead and mounting that crap HSF, as I can't wait any longer to play with my toy,.

Edit: I have covid right now, so not working at top speed or efficiency, but I will try to have this up soon.

Reactions: cellarnoise

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I have torqueing tools coming tomorrow. I am going ahead and mounting that crap HSF, as I can't wait any longer to play with my toy,.

Edit: I have covid right now, so not working at top speed or efficiency, but I will try to have this up soon.
Rest up , but hurry up!!!!! ;)