Just discovered a Windows Explorer trick you guys probably all know...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
One thing I still HATE about Explorer:

You often can't scroll the location list on the left side without first clicking in it. @#$%$#!!!!

Another thing:
The default color schemes for Vista / 7 / 8. With cheap TN panel LCDs, combined with my poor eyesight and partial color-blindedness, it's sometimes nearly impossible to tell whether certain files are selected or not.

In a folder with lots of files, it can also be difficult to find a safe place to right-click and get a context menu for the folder instead of one for a particular file.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
This doesn't work on XP SP2. Needed to do this on an offline work PC today. :(

Yeah. Just tested on XP SP3 and it just doesn't work for XP. Not sure when that one was introduced. Definitely works with Windows 7.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
...In a folder with lots of files, it can also be difficult to find a safe place to right-click and get a context menu for the folder instead of one for a particular file.
In 95-XP, you only had to right click the control box (picture of a folder in the upper-left corner). Microsoft thought they were clever by keeping the left-click functionality even though it was invisible in Vista+, but they forgot the right-click and drag'n'drop functions. Idiots!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I had no idea you could do this. And I also have no idea what I would use it for...I never name files identically with a series # at the end.
Didn't know it, but I don't normally rename adjacent files. Instead of F2 you can left click on a highlighted file in Explorer and Windows will offer it for renaming (or copying the name to the clipboard, something I like to do).

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Didn't know it, but I don't normally rename adjacent files. Instead of F2 you can just double click the file name and if it isn't executable, Windows will be ready for the rename.

If you have to rename a bunch of files manually, it helps to keep your hands on the keyboard.