Just completed a 3-day juice-fast!

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
I started doing some research a few weeks ago on natural colon cleansing after I saw some infomercials on tv. I read a lot of information on the subject and decided to undertake a 3-day juice fast.

What is a 3 day juice-fast?
Simply, a juice fast is when you only consume fresh fruit and vegetable juices (and water) over 3 days. This gives your digestive tract a rest and allows your body to digest impure materials, waste, damaged tissue, etc. The nutrients from the fruit vegetables are plenty enough for your body over the three days.

Along with the juice, I took a multivitamin, antioxidants, probiotics, pysillium supplement with bentonite clay and an omega 3 fish oil supplement. Pysillium is a water-soluble fiber. Bentonite clay is an edible clay that goes through your body, expands and absorbs toxins. I opted to take a supplement that contained both the pysllium and the bentonite in it, because the clay on its own was a nasty liquid. I also opted for gelcaps, because the powder was nasty. The probiotics are healthy bacteria that make up your intestinal flora.

I did the juice fast with my parents and overall it was very successful. The day after I completed the fast, I had 6 (yes SIX!!!) bowel movements. Before the fast I would go probably once a day, and I was often constipated. Now I go 2-3 times a day which is what you should have. I lost a good 3 pounds from the fast, but I'm sure I'll gain that back eventually. During the fast itself, I didn't have to go very much, because I wasn't eating. Fasting wasn't so difficult the first day, but the second day was pretty bad. I started to feel a little bit depressed but I got through it. The third day was easy. I highly recommend you work your way into the fast. I was eating pretty healthy going into the fast, so it wasn't a huge deal for me.

Also, I think my parents could've used another day on the fast. They didn't experience the same regular bowel movments I did after the fast. If you are over 40 and haven't done this before, I'd recommend slowly working your way up to a longer cleanse.

If you'd like to attempt a juice-fast I highly recommend getting a nice juicer! I got an omega 8003 juicer for about $200. I chose this juicer because it runs on very low RPM's so it doesn't heat up and destroy the nutrients in the juice. Also, it's very good at doing fruits and vegetables. It's also quite fun too. You can juice darn near anything. I was surprised at how much I liked the vegetable juice. For one meal I had broccoli, wheat grass, spinach, celery, cucumber and it tasted great with a little lemon. You can also add grapes to help the taste. Overall, I'm extremely happy I did it. I'm much more energetic, and I just feel healthier. I'd encourage anyone who is trying to become healthier to try this!!

Also, I got most of my information on the juice fast from...
www.healingdaily.com That site has a ton of information on it. You can get everything you need to know from that site, but if you have any questions about my experiences feel free to ask!

Here are the supplements I took...
http://www.vitacost.com/NSISynergyOnceADayMultiVitaminVersion2
http://www.vitacost.com/RainbowLightEverydayFiberSystem
http://www.vitacost.com/NSIProbiotic1010

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Interesting. You seem excited about your bowel movements. Could you describe your bowel movements in more detail? What color was it, how long, texture, taste?

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Interesting. You seem excited about your bowel movements. Could you describe your bowel movements in more detail? What color was it, how long, texture, taste?

Haha, I tried my best to leave out as much detail out as possible. It was just the best way of showing how dramatic the change was. I was also really excited about it because I went through three days of just juice and the results were exactly what they were supposed to be. If I went through all that and it didn't work I would've been upset.

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: BudAshes
dude shitting 3 times a day isnt healthy.

Could you enlighten me why not? What's not healthy is shitting once a day or sometimes not at all. Most Americans have 8 meals backed up in their colon. I've already done the research so I know it's healthy.

I just typed in google "bowel movements per day" and this is the first site that came up.
http://www.bytheplanet.com/WhatAilsYou/Constipation/bowelmovements.htm

First sentence (a doctor responding to a question)...
"It is unlikely that a doctor has taught you how to achieve optimal elimination, 2 to 3 bowel movements per day."

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
That's total quackery, any GP will tell you that.

Placebo effect+gullible consumers FTW ;)

EDIT: there's not a shred of actual proof that a fast does you any good at all, your body is designed to work best WITH food after all...

sundev

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
It's not necessarily unhealthy, but it's not "what you should have" either. As long as the bowel movement itself is not watery (diarrhea) or hard (constipation), or some ****** up color, you are fine.

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: sundevb
It's not necessarily unhealthy, but it's not "what you should have" either. As long as the bowel movement itself is not watery (diarrhea) or hard (constipation), or some ****** up color, you are fine.

Actually, it's exactly what you should have. Optimal is 2-3 times per day. Do some research. One isn't necessarily bad, but 2-3 times per day is optimal.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: mribnik1
Originally posted by: dug777

Care to explain further?

You could have achieved exactly the same bowel movement thing by inculding more fibre in your normal diet.

As far as i'm aware there's not a shred of medical, peer reviewed proof that fasting does anything beneficial for you at all...

EDIT: and why would it do you any good?

It's more likely to do you bad since you are not eating anything, so your body wil be hitting the fat stores, and relaesing all those tasty fat soluble pesticides and toxins you've absorbed over the years ;)

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004

Care to explain further?

You could have achieved exactly the same bowel movement thing by inculding more fibre in your normal diet.

As far as i'm aware there's not a shred of medical, peer reviewed proof that fasting does anything beneficial for you at all...

NO i couldn't have. I know that because the previous few weeks I was having more than enough fiber per day and wasn't having the same results.

Oh, and there are a whole bunch of articles on the benefits of fasting. I know there are plenty of books on the subject written by medical doctors, but I wouldn't know how to search through medical journals.

cleanerupper

Mar 13, 2006

What color would be bad?

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: cleanerupper

What color would be bad?

Generally speaking, the lighter the color the better. I think he's referring to bright red or other extreme colors.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004

Care to explain further?

NO i couldn't have. I know that because the previous few weeks I was having more than enough fiber per day and wasn't having the same results.

That's just utter crap that you need to fast to achieve regular bowel movements i'm afraid ;) I've never fasted in my life & i crap quite regularly enough...

See my comments above as regarding the release of fat soluble pesticides & toxins however :)

EDIT: i'm sure there are articles by people like you out there, i mean a medically peer reviewed, medically accepted piece of work ;)

sundev

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
Actually, it's exactly what you should have. Optimal is 2-3 times per day. Do some research. One isn't necessarily bad, but 2-3 times per day is optimal.
I have done research on this subject (oddly enough... who the hell researches sh!t after all). Saying that everyone should be pooping 3 times a day is just not true, because everyone is different. It's like saying everyone should be drinking 8 glasses of water a day.

In regards to color, yeah I was talking about if you see any red or dark dark browns (close to black). Red could indicate stuff like hemorrhoids and very very dark brown bleeding in the intestines.

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004

Care to explain further?

That's just utter crap that you need to fast to achieve regular bowel movements i'm afraid ;) I've never fasted in my life & i crap quite regularly enough...

See my comments above as regarding the release of fat soluble pesticides & toxins however :)

EDIT: i'm sure there are articles by people like you out there, i mean a medically peer reviewed, medically accepted piece of work ;)

I'll be happy to look for some. Are you from a medical background?

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
I have done research on this subject (oddly enough... who the hell researches sh!t after all). Saying that everyone should be pooping 3 times a day is just not true, because everyone is different. It's like saying everyone should be drinking 8 glasses of water a day.

In regards to color, yeah I was talking about if you see any red or dark dark browns (close to black). Red could indicate stuff like hemorrhoids and very very dark brown bleeding in the intestines.

From what I understand anywhere from 1-3 times per day is good, however 2-3 times is considered optimal.

Constipation & Proper Bowel Functioning

Constipation is defined as having less than 1 bowel movement per day. One bowel movement per day is considered good; however, the optimum is to have 2 to 3 movements per day. Ideally, you should have a bowel movement after each meal, just like babies do (before they?re exposed to an unhealthy American diet).

An important concept in bowel health is the ?Transit Time? of food. Transit time is the time it takes for food to go in the mouth and then out the body by way of a bowel movement. The goal is to minimize the transit time of food in your system. You want to have food transit time be less than 24 hours.

http://www.ibdanswers.com/Document.2003-12-20.0215

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004

Care to explain further?

Only as far as taking an interest in my own health and asking my GP this very question :)

I apologise as i've come accross somewhat more rudely than i intended in this thread :eek:

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004

Care to explain further?

Only as far as taking an interest in my own health and asking my GP this very question :)

I apologise as i've come accross somewhat more rudely than i intended in this thread :eek:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/fast.htm

A little more time and I should be able to find some better stuff for you.

BudAshes2

Jul 2, 2006

So how many days will this add onto your life vs how many days extra you spend in the crapper over your lifetime?

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004

So how many days will this add onto your life vs how many days extra you spend in the crapper over your lifetime?

I don't really know. What I do know is that if I went through this whole fast and then decided to eat poorly it wouldn't help me at all. I do know that I feel great and I'm glad I did it though.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004

Care to explain further?

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/fast.htm

A little more time and I should be able to find some better stuff for you.

It all sounds very new-agey.