just cause 2!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rambusted

Feb 7, 2012
If you like JC2 I suggest looking for a bargin bin version of Mercenaries 2. It has far less polish but similar game play and kept me entertained for 40+ hours. Think I bought it for $1.99 retail.

Funny you mention that, there has been a copy of it sitting on a clearance rack in my local Bj's forever. Need for speed something, bf 1942, and mercenaries, I think they dust em monthly. Next time I am in there getting oversized packages of hoho's and trail mix I think I'll grab it.

Shuma

Feb 21, 2012
Yeah it's fun for about 10-12 hours.. but then the console port issues start to grate on you. it only rated around 30% here.

oh and buying items in this game.. wow frustrating. I also made the fool mistake of getting some of the DLC, A nice shinny signature gun.. which you promptly never get a single bullet for in the game. *sigh*

jacc1234

Sep 3, 2005
Yeah it's fun for about 10-12 hours.. but then the console port issues start to grate on you. it only rated around 30% here.

oh and buying items in this game.. wow frustrating. I also made the fool mistake of getting some of the DLC, A nice shinny signature gun.. which you promptly never get a single bullet for in the game. *sigh*

I think you need to look at that review again, it is rated better then 30% of all games, not 30%. Metacritic has it at an 84. Also, you don't seem to understand how the black market works. You are not given ammo all the time, if you want ammo you buy the gun again from the BM.

As for porting issues, this is one of the best ported games I have seen. Seamless switching from XBOX Controller to Mouse+KB, big graphics bump, solid frame rates. Not sure what issues you are referring to. Did you really join just to hate on this game?

Last edited:

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004

You link to a site called "Multi Player Reviews" that rates a single player game relatively poorly? What do you expect?

Shuma

Feb 21, 2012
I think you need to look at that review again, it is rated better then 30% of all games, not 30%. Metacritic has it at an 84. Also, you don't seem to understand how the black market works. You are not given ammo all the time, if you want ammo you buy the gun again from the BM.

As for porting issues, this is one of the best ported games I have seen. Seamless switching from XBOX Controller to Mouse+KB, big graphics bump, solid frame rates. Not sure what issues you are referring to. Did you really join just to hate on this game?

Ah.. Thanks. I didn't see the of all games part that puts the score into perspective. and no didnt just join to hate the game.. i did really have a blast for those 10 some hours. If you can find it on sale for some of the prices people are mentioning.. totally worth it. Myself I got it during one of those massive xmas steam sales .

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Don't worry. While the campaign is fairly short, it's going to take you a looooonnnng time to actually 100% everything. I have ~40 hours logged in the game and I think I only have 35% completed or something.

You're right though; Just Cause 2 is absolutely phenomenal, and one of the funnest games to currently exist *ever*. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know how to have fun and/or doesn't know what fun is. I've seen some people say "eh, it wasn't that interesting" and it completely blows my mind as to how anyone would think that way.

I like Just Cause 2, but that statement is preposterous. For me, watching a Transformers movie is torture--I can only imagine that it is the least merciful option of being brought before the Inquisition.

Now, plenty of people that love that crap argue that "You don't know what fun is!" if someone like me thinks the way I do about those horrible shithole movies.

Anyway, JC2 is loads of fun for some time, but it's so preposterously repetitive and the fun for me died out after about 20 hours of doing the same mission over and over and over again all across the map. ...I guess I have a low attention span for low attention span activities?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The real reason you need a gamepad is that the vehicles handle poorly with a keyboard; especially the planes.

yeah, that's one of the main reasons that I quit playing. flying is completely undoable on KB&M--and this is the game (I have a thread here somewhere), that lead me to the drama of screwing my system with that garbage shithole bullshit of a piece of crap software: Motion InJoy, to try and get my newly-purchased 360 controller working (it simply would not work with JC2, for whatever reason, but worked fine with other games)--typical JC2 fixes for this problem wouldn't work, so I went that route.

Anyway, I've no current desire to reformat, and MIJ is trojaned its way throughout my registry, breaking any attempt to use a gamepad on my PC.

...all b/c of JC2.

:(

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I like Just Cause 2, but that statement is preposterous. For me, watching a Transformers movie is torture--I can only imagine that it is the least merciful option of being brought before the Inquisition.

Now, plenty of people that love that crap argue that "You don't know what fun is!" if someone like me thinks the way I do about those horrible shithole movies.

Anyway, JC2 is loads of fun for some time, but it's so preposterously repetitive and the fun for me died out after about 20 hours of doing the same mission over and over and over again all across the map. ...I guess I have a low attention span for low attention span activities?

If it makes you feel any better, I hate the Transformers movies too (assuming you're talking about the Michael Bay ones). Although I think the first one was decent.

Just Cause 2 feels kind of repetitive at times, but that feeling disappears whenever I find something new or different to try. The mods add a whole new level of replayability as well. Driving a bus off the tallest mountain? Sure! Grappling 10 people to a jet and crashing it into a radio tower? Why not! Hopping into a monster truck and blowing up an entire airport with a machine gun? Of course!

I'm now really tempted to hop into JC2 when I get home.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If it makes you feel any better, I hate the Transformers movies too (assuming you're talking about the Michael Bay ones). Although I think the first one was decent.

Just Cause 2 feels kind of repetitive at times, but that feeling disappears whenever I find something new or different to try. The mods add a whole new level of replayability as well. Driving a bus off the tallest mountain? Sure! Grappling 10 people to a jet and crashing it into a radio tower? Why not! Hopping into a monster truck and blowing up an entire airport with a machine gun? Of course!

I'm now really tempted to hop into JC2 when I get home.

I would honestly have played it much longer were it not for the controller debacle. I could just feel some important flying missions coming up, and it was never going to happen for me. :(

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I would honestly have played it much longer were it not for the controller debacle. I could just feel some important flying missions coming up, and it was never going to happen for me. :(

I could fly 100% fine with KB+M since I first started playing. I own an Xbox 360 controller too, which I use for several games, but JC2 isn't one of them. Strangely enough I prefer the KB+M over a controller in this game. I guess I'm the odd one out.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I could fly 100% fine with KB+M since I first started playing. I own an Xbox 360 controller too, which I use for several games, but JC2 isn't one of them. Strangely enough I prefer the KB+M over a controller in this game. I guess I'm the odd one out.

Same here.

Jabberrwocky

Feb 18, 2012
www.cutrategamer.com
yeah, that's one of the main reasons that I quit playing. flying is completely undoable on KB&M--and this is the game (I have a thread here somewhere), that lead me to the drama of screwing my system with that garbage shithole bullshit of a piece of crap software: Motion InJoy, to try and get my newly-purchased 360 controller working (it simply would not work with JC2, for whatever reason, but worked fine with other games)--typical JC2 fixes for this problem wouldn't work, so I went that route.

Anyway, I've no current desire to reformat, and MIJ is trojaned its way throughout my registry, breaking any attempt to use a gamepad on my PC.

...all b/c of JC2.

:(

That sucks!

Maybe it is because I have Windows 7, or because I started playing the game later than you so i have a newer patch, or maybe because I have a USB 360 controller, but mine was just plug-and-play.