Just bought an Antec Smartpower 2.0 500 watt PSU and it doesn't work...

hotarri

Aug 9, 2001
I picked up an Antec Smartpower 500 watt PSU to replace the crappy no-name 480 watt one that came with my case. However when I install it and hit the power nothing really happens. The only thing that happens is that the optical sensor on the mouse turns on.

Before I RMA it I wanted to see if there is some sort of error on my part that this isn't working. Mainly the ground on the power outlets in my house don't go anywhere, this is the only thing I can think of.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not having any grounds shouldn't stop the PSU for working, sounds like you got a bad unit that managed to get out.

If you decide to go with something else I'd recommend Seasonic or Forton.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Hmmm, that seems a bit strange. You should think about swapping that for another SP or get a different PSU. My smart power works great, but that does not prevent a lemon from escaping the QA guys.

-spike

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Let me welcome you to the AT Forums prior to administering your spanking...

One wonders if some people should be allowed to own computers... :roll:

Is there a voltage switch on the back of the PSU? Is it set to the correct voltage (usually 110 or 120)? By turning on the power, what do you mean - flipping the switch on the back of the PSU or turning on the computer with the switch on the front panel of your case. ATX PSUs aren't turned fully on by the power switch on the back - all that does is turn on the standby power. To turn the PSU fully on you also have to press the front-panel power button momentarily. Perhaps that switch is not properly connected to your mobo or is defective. And the polarity of your power IS important - the hot wire from your outlet MUST be connected to the hot side of your PSU and the Neutral wire from your outlet to the neutral side of the PSU. Using an ambiguous adapter is NOT acceptable.

. FYI: It is not a good idea to operate electronic equipment like computers without a good earth ground to bleed off the static electricity generated by drive rotation, etc. If you don't have a grounded outlet in your computer room, either contract an electrician to fix it or run a heavy 3-wire extension cable to a properly grounded outlet - there must be one somewhere in the house. You should also have an outlet tester for checking the quality of your outlets (correct polarity, ground present, etc.). Under $5. at most hardware stores or departments at WalMart, etc. - I've seen decent ones on sale for $2. occasionally. It is possible for a PSU that is designed with safety in mind to not operate fully without a proper ground.

.bh.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
well personally I would go with the OKIA 500 watt quad 12v rail PSU!!!
With white led`s!!

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
WW has another good point. Mobos that have the P4 connector usually won't work w/o its being filled.

.bh.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
well you can look on the bright side....
At least ya wont have to go out and buy any paper weights!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: hotarri
I picked up an Antec Smartpower 500 watt PSU to replace the crappy no-name 480 watt one that came with my case. However when I install it and hit the power nothing really happens. The only thing that happens is that the optical sensor on the mouse turns on.

Before I RMA it I wanted to see if there is some sort of error on my part that this isn't working. Mainly the ground on the power outlets in my house don't go anywhere, this is the only thing I can think of.

So I guess that crappy noname PSU that came with your case is alot better than that 500 watt antec you bought?

Seems that CRAPPY noname PSU worked!
Seems the Antec 500watt PSU was CRAPPY!!!

heheheeee

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: hotarri

So guess that crappy noname PSU that came with your case is alot better than that 500 watt antec you bought?

Seems that CRAPPY noname PSU worked!
Seems the Antec 500watt PSU was CRAPPY!!!

heheheeee

What's wrong with you? :confused: Lay off the crack or something.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Hey---all these geeks who say ditch the factory PSU for a "name brand" I find to be hilarious!!

Especially when they do just that and they get the PSU home and all its good for is being a name brand paperweight----lololol

You have to admit I have a point!!

I will just stick with my no name brand O--K--I--A!!!!!:p

hotarri

Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Zepper
Let me welcome you to the AT Forums prior to administering your spanking...

One wonders if some people should be allowed to own computers... :roll:

Is there a voltage switch on the back of the PSU? Is it set to the correct voltage (usually 110 or 120)? By turning on the power, what do you mean - flipping the switch on the back of the PSU or turning on the computer with the switch on the front panel of your case. ATX PSUs aren't turned fully on by the power switch on the back - all that does is turn on the standby power. To turn the PSU fully on you also have to press the front-panel power button momentarily. Perhaps that switch is not properly connected to your mobo or is defective. And the polarity of your power IS important - the hot wire from your outlet MUST be connected to the hot side of your PSU and the Neutral wire from your outlet to the neutral side of the PSU. Using an ambiguous adapter is NOT acceptable.

. FYI: It is not a good idea to operate electronic equipment like computers without a good earth ground to bleed off the static electricity generated by drive rotation, etc. If you don't have a grounded outlet in your computer room, either contract an electrician to fix it or run a heavy 3-wire extension cable to a properly grounded outlet - there must be one somewhere in the house. You should also have an outlet tester for checking the quality of your outlets (correct polarity, ground present, etc.). Under $5. at most hardware stores or departments at WalMart, etc. - I've seen decent ones on sale for $2. occasionally. It is possible for a PSU that is designed with safety in mind to not operate fully without a proper ground.

.bh.

Yep it was definitly set to the correct voltage and the PSU itself was switched on. I used the button on the front panel of the case and the power on switch on the MB (EPOX Nforce 4 Ultra) neither worked. I also pulled off a "ghetto ground" by running a wire from the ground plug to the kitchen sink earlier which didn't help matters out either.

Back to newegg you go $80 PSU..

BTW The crappy chinese powersupply is running great at this point :)
I gonna be over clocking and don't think that the one I have is gonna cut it, what is another good >480 watt PSU for under $100?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
you are assuming thats the PSU you have won`t cut the mustard....
try it and find out@@!!!

I bet you will be pleasantly suprised......

hehehee