Just bought a Bicycle - Trek 820 2008 model

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Not to threadjack or anything.... I've always wanted to buy a Trek 820 or maybe another series like the 3000 series to replace mine that got stolen.

I used to bike through HS up until my parents finally let me drive to school. Then one day I lost my bike in college.

It's been years since that incident and I'd like to get a new bike. If I lock the bike up well it shouldn't get stolen right? Or should I really just get a dirt cheap walmart bike...?

If anyone wants to steal your bike there is nothing you can do about. Any lock out there can be easily defeated. There are a few things to keep in mind:

Upgrade to an aluminum frame if you are going to be carrying the bike regularly (like up the stars at an apartment, etc).

The walmart bikes are fine if you don't expect them to last more than a few years. Also, I would NOT use them for actual offroad biking as they are far more likely to break and injure you.

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
"The walmart bikes are fine if you don't expect them to last more than a few years."

I have to disagree there base don my experience. That is all I had growing up and I put mine through hell and back.

fredhe12

Apr 6, 2006
I have the same setup (watch/strap).

The advantage of the polar comp would be that you wouldn't need the watch since the strap would just beam to the comp.

The downside is cost. You could get a decent bike comp for a quarter of the price you'll pay for the Polar.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Brush up on your swimming and running and get into Xterra races. I'm looking to buy a decent used tri bike so I can start competing next season. I'm committed to completing an Ironman event by the time I'm 40 (I'm currently 37).

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Megatomic
Brush up on your swimming and running and get into Xterra races. I'm looking to buy a decent used tri bike so I can start competing next season. I'm committed to completing an Ironman event by the time I'm 40 (I'm currently 37).

Yea yea yea, your too old for it.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Haui
Originally posted by: Megatomic

Yea yea yea, your too old for it.
:(

Lots of older people compete in Ironman events. I may not win one, but I'll finish one. :thumbsup:

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
You don't *need* half this stuff people are suggesting. Just put on a helmet and go ride on the street, not the sidewalk.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: sygyzy
You don't *need* half this stuff people are suggesting. Just put on a helmet and go ride on the street, not the sidewalk.

Hate to say it, but he's right. I just got my first real bike after about 15 years without riding. Having a blast and I've spent about $130 on accessories; $70 of which I don't really need.

Just get a helmet and a good lock, which should run you back $75 or so. As to those who thinks helmets are dorky, think about how dorky you'll look with a cracked skull or drooling/vegetable face. You'll hear a lot about how the effectiveness of helmets are questionable, but just ask yourself this: is it better to hit a car/pavement first with bare skull or with a plastic + foam "outer skull"? Oh, and get a skate.bmx style helmet if you're concerned about looks. I'm using one cause "normal" biking helmets look stupid and have way too many vents for confidence in its protection.

A lock is nice. Just read the fine print on the "replacement/insurance" popular locks have. Average is 1-3 years or so, which is crap to me, and if you're afraid of getting it stolen, don't commute with it. This is partly why you see lots of Wal-mart bikes used by commuters. That or paint it black so it doesn't stand out.

All other maintenance equipment is kinda "nice" to have if you're comfortable doing your own maintenance. Only real essential is lube, which you won't be using for a while.

Feb 19, 2001
BTW does the place you buy it from have a maintenance program? I remember my bike shop had a yearly thing where they would fix up your bike for life. I'm inclined to drive home this weekend to buy a new bike.

Laminator

Jan 31, 2007
Actually, "skating" helmets offer less protection to bike riders than biking helmets due to their shape/design. I'll try to find the study where I read this.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Laminator
Actually, "skating" helmets offer less protection to bike riders than biking helmets due to their shape/design. I'll try to find the study where I read this.

I'd love to see that study cause just looking at the shape, amount of padding/foam and coverage, I'm not seeing it.

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
What kind of clothing do I need to get?

Someone at the local bike shop suggested some padded loose shorts, but the store wanted $85 for them. I am looking into this, but what else do I need? What kind of top?

Anyone know of some good CHEAP places to buy this stuff? Does Academy, Sports Authority, etc have this kind of stuff?

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I bought some baggy shorts off nashbar.com for $25 and they do make riding easier on the butt but you can get away without them. You can also just go to Walmart or some other discount store and pick up an athletic good breathing t-shit for $8 or less.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Bike clothing isn't necessary. However, if your butt/groin hurts from riding, you can pick-up some padded briefs to wear under any kind of shorts, much cheaper than buying bike shorts.

If you want to buy bike shorts, Sports Authority may have some. You can get bike stuff much cheaper online though at Performancebike.com, rei.com, sierratradingpost.com, campmor.com and other online bike shops.