Just bought a Bicycle - Trek 820 2008 model

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Well, after 7 years, I have purchased a brand new Trek 820 mountain bike. I will be using it for the occasional trail ride, but mainly for side walk riding.

The bike is brand new (they put it together for me on the spot). However, it has been years since I had a bike and cant remember if you actually have to oil the chain a lot or not. I could use your inputs.

What all do I need to buy now?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
A bike lock.
Helmet.
Allen wrenches.
Tire pump.
Some oil for the chain.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Sidewalk riding? Is that legal where you live? Here it's only legal if the sidwalk is not directly in front of a building.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Unless something changed with the 1008 model (I have the 2007 I believe), you may have some trouble shifting (specifically with the shifter on the left, whatever it is called). You basically have to fiddle around with the adjustments.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Haui
Is sidewalk riding legal in Dallas?

Probably not, but I've never seen anyone get stopped.

I used to ride on the sidewalks all the time in Austin -> going from trail -> sidewalk -> trail etc. and nobody ever cared.

ravana

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Haui
Well, after 7 years, I have purchased a brand new Trek 820 mountain bike. I will be using it for the occasional trail ride, but mainly for side walk riding.

The bike is brand new (they put it together for me on the spot). However, it has been years since I had a bike and cant remember if you actually have to oil the chain a lot or not. I could use your inputs.

What all do I need to buy now?

Check this thread for inspiration on what you could possibly do after you are done buying what you need to :D :thumbsup:

fredhe12

Apr 6, 2006
If you bought from a good local bike shop, they should have included some sort of free maintenance plan with the purchase. If not, find a good local bike shop, befriend the mechanics and have them take care of it professionally. A well maintained mountain bike should last you for years. Neglect it and you'll find that it will give you lots of problems.

Get some good lube for the chain from your bike shop - Tri-flow, Finish Line, White Lightning to name a few. Don't use WD-40 or similar product. It's the wrong type of lube and can actually damage your chain more than it will help.

Trek makes a solid product. Enjoy the ride!!!

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Could anyone help me find information on bike riding in the city of Dallas?

Mind you, I am city of Dallas, but Collin County(not Dallas county), so I don't know if I should research the city or the county.

fredhe12

Apr 6, 2006
Try MTBR.com - best mountain biking board on the Web. The boards have regional forums and you should be able to good info there.

Jul 19, 2006
Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association = www.dorba.org
They have tons of info, lists of trails, lists of organized rides and an active forum community.

There are also several paved trails around the metroplex - not sure if there is a single site to list them, but some names to look up:
Campion Trails - Irving
River Legacy Park - Arlington
Collin Creek Park - Plano
There's one in Grapevine/Colleyville near hwy 26 and John McCain/Tinker road - can't remember the name.

Hope this helps.

Edited: spelling

fredhe12

Apr 6, 2006
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
A bike lock.
Helmet.
Allen wrenches.
Tire pump.
Some oil for the chain.

Add:
Gloves
Spare inner tube or patch kit

Have fun!!!

Good list. HELMET, definitely! Even if you're headed down to the corner. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you, it will save your life!!

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
CONGRATS On a new bike!!
I am an avid rider and a few MUST haves, even for a weekend warrior:
Helmet-yes its dorky but TWO occassions, I wouldnt be typing this if I didnt have one.
Gloves-help for longer rides,
Bike shorts-doesnt have to be the spandex ones, but buy something with the padding, your ass will thank you!
Spare tube and repair kid

As far as oiling, kind of "as needed" I do it about every couple hundred on my road bike but even more frequently on the mountain bike, but if it squeeks-definitely!!!
Tires, you can generally see the wear and tear enough to replace them

Basically, just keep it clean, give it the once over when you can. And enjoy! I have an older model trek 830AL for my trail riding, and it has held up very well.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
A bike lock.
Helmet.
Allen wrenches.
Tire pump.
Some oil for the chain.

Add:
Gloves
Spare inner tube or patch kit

Have fun!!!

I'd add a pair or two of decent quality bike shorts, a pair of bike shoes, and clipless pedals.

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
A helmet???? No one ever wore helmets when I was growing up, is it common now? We used to ramp, wheelie etc

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
If you like to count the miles, get a cycling computer .... they can get pretty fancy with heart monitors, built-in gps's, etc. etc. as well as pricey...

and especially don't forget water bottles or a camelbak-type backpack for water...

Feb 19, 2001
Not to threadjack or anything.... I've always wanted to buy a Trek 820 or maybe another series like the 3000 series to replace mine that got stolen.

I used to bike through HS up until my parents finally let me drive to school. Then one day I lost my bike in college.

It's been years since that incident and I'd like to get a new bike. If I lock the bike up well it shouldn't get stolen right? Or should I really just get a dirt cheap walmart bike...?

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
If you lock the wheel and frame to the parking fixture and remove the seat if it's quick release as well as any easily removed accessories, you should be ok.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: torpid
If you lock the wheel and frame to the parking fixture and remove the seat if it's quick release as well as any easily removed accessories, you should be ok.

That's what I thought I did. I know U-locks are a lot better but I had a pretty good cable lock so I used it. I'm guessing I made one of those knots that undid themselves... or I was stupid enough to not scramble my lock but I doubt that was the case.

I'm still of course extremely scared of parking say a $400 bike next to a bunch of $100 and under bikes. It still stands out even if I lock it up well.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
A $400 hardtail doesn't stand out against $100 pos Walmart full suspension bikes. Most people don't know what is a good bike and will just take the one that looks the most fancy.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Someone mentioned computers above. I have a polar wristwatch and heart strap. Would it make sense for me to just get the polar computer for my bicycle or is it kind of crappy compared to cateye and others?

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Just got the following helmet for $10!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/spo/414439597.html

How do these computers work? I would just like something that tells me how fast I am going and how many miles I have gone. Something simple, and possibly the time as well.

What do you guys suggest I do for the computer thing?