Just an update on neurscience...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 30, 2006
I'm just making fun of you, is all... and your overly wordy reply (and, dare I say, overreaction) is the icing on the cake.
In your attempt to make fun of Moonie...all you've done is make fun of yourself. Please let it go.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm just making fun of you, is all... and your overly wordy reply (and, dare I say, overreaction) is the icing on the cake.

Why make fun of me?

Don't you think I already feel like a ridiculous person? I bet you didn't know I have some form of perceptual problem that made it hard for me to learn how to read and that I mistake one word easily for another, that I hear words in my head by sound but can't see them, that I am therefore terrible at spelling. Also, I can't write, penmanship wise, worth shit and flunked the second grade? And I can't draw anything for shit. It takes me ten times longer to read a cartoon, which in never do, still trying to put the picture together when others have already started to laugh. Now you can really laugh.

Nov 8, 2012
The gist of this article:

Liberals: Let's see what happens when I walk into this chainsaw. I might learn something.
Conservatives: I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what is going to occur if I were to walk into this chainsaw.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
In your attempt to make fun of Moonie...all you've done is make fun of yourself. Please let it go.

I believe we all hate ourselves and do not wish to know it. The bad part of that ignorance is the ease with which that unconsciousness allows us to turn that self hate on others. I believe that the more we know our self hate the less we need to believe it and the less we will feel the need to invent a superiority over others. This can take the form of invented self superiority or the relative inferiority of others. To really love yourself is to love everybody.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
This reminds me:

a. Study shows X race are less intelligent = study is racist

b. X race underperforming in a school exam using the same standard for all races = exam is racist

Let's have a cake and eat it too!

I dont think we can compare behavioural studies with so called intelligence ones.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The gist of this article:

Liberals: Let's see what happens when I walk into this chainsaw. I might learn something.
Conservatives: I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what is going to occur if I were to walk into this chainsaw.

I think something is wrong with your ideas here. I am liberal and I think I have a very good idea what it's like to walk into a chain saw. I also have no interest in testing that theory. My theory is that conservatives will rename global chain saws as shower stalls and walk right into them. You are doubtless convinced you would never do that, but the science says conservatives will and already have.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Question: Is behavior a direct or indirect effect from Intelligence? Serious question - I would think so.

The more important question is how do you tell a person who thinks he's intelligent that he's using it for rationalizations. Your question is an example of that. You don't see it for what it really is.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
This is the story you tell yourself, your altered reality. You believe you know who is undesirable and that you have a right to act. This is why you are dangerous. Everything you fear has already happened. You believe that change must come from 'out there' instead of in yourself. You are like a mad man in paradise. Your horse has a burr under its saddle.

Or my reality really is true Reality, and yours is distorted. Lets apply a test, see which one is closest:

1. Look at national debt.
2. Note insane amount.
3. Look at yearly budget deficits.
4. Note insane amounts.
5. Realize it is you in altered reality.

Don't let your ego and your fear center scare you away from the truth. We know it's hard to accept your wrong, embrace it, realize the bouncing of us burr in the saddle folks isn't us bouncing at all, that we're pragmatically riding along, it's you jumping up and down screaming in your insanity that's making your view all jumpy.

Btw...stop melting down the bullets, we need those, they have uses. And for gods sake, stop huffing the fumes!

Chuck

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I would sleep restless too if I had to rely on others for money.
:D +1 This is indeed the dichotomy of American progressives.
1. Conservatives are mentally defective.
2. Conservatives need to provide my health care/education/day care/retirement/cell phone/broadband/etc. for I cannot provide for myself.

I'm amused that people who are still patting themselves on the back for recognizing that race is largely a social construct rather than a rigorously defined scientific classification are now insisting that conservatism is a rigorously defined scientific classification. This is no different from any other "scientific" fad designed not to produce something useful, but to advance one's politics and give one a sense of superiority without actually achieving anything for which one justly can be proud.

I believe we all hate ourselves and do not wish to know it. The bad part of that ignorance is the ease with which that unconsciousness allows us to turn that self hate on others. I believe that the more we know our self hate the less we need to believe it and the less we will feel the need to invent a superiority over others. This can take the form of invented self superiority or the relative inferiority of others. To really love yourself is to love everybody.
I think just the opposite - our problem is not a surfeit of self-hate, but rather a surfeit of self love, to the point that other people are not perceived as real but only as a means to enrich oneself and make one's life more pleasant. Principles and morals have gone by the wayside; only self-interest remains. "What I can afford" has been replaced by "what I can make others provide for me." "What freedoms must society limit" has become "What freedoms should society allow" which all too often becomes "What freedoms benefit me?" From the progressive who wants to tax others for his own benefit to the conservative who sees no reason homosexuals should be able to wed, from the teacher who prefers teaching her politics over teaching her subject matter to the student who sees no reason he should have to work hard to be able to enjoy a good life, from the person who plays his music unpleasantly loud to the person who shoots him for playing his music unpleasantly loud, it's ubiquitous across our socioeconomic spectra. We've become a nation of self-important prats interested only in our own best interests. And it's ruining our nation.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So amusing. 16 Peer reviewed studies showing that conservatives and liberals engage in different kinds of thinking and that conservatives get there fears and egos involved to create alternate world thinking and they read the data, hear the arguments, and apply that thinking as their refutations to it. My dear blind folk. I hear you say you can see you can see you can see, but the facts remain that you are blind and your arguments are the proof of it. Persons living in altered realities can't be reached and the persons who build them are conservatives. You live in a world where one and one is three. There's no way to argue with you about math. You don't get the fundamentals. You can't take your colored lenses off and, when shown a different color, say it isn't there. You are lost because you can't let go of your egos. You spout only your rationalizations.

Nov 30, 2006
So amusing. 16 Peer reviewed studies showing that conservatives and liberals engage in different kinds of thinking and that conservatives get there fears and egos involved to create alternate world thinking and they read the data, hear the arguments, and apply that thinking as their refutations to it. My dear blind folk. I hear you say you can see you can see you can see, but the facts remain that you are blind and your arguments are the proof of it. Persons living in altered realities can't be reached and the persons who build them are conservatives. You live in a world where one and one is three. There's no way to argue with you about math. You don't get the fundamentals. You can't take your colored lenses off and, when shown a different color, say it isn't there. You are lost because you can't let go of your egos. You spout only your rationalizations.
Liberals build alternate realities as well. See post #17.

Human beings are curious creatures....they rarely realize that it's OK to be different.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Human beings are curious creatures....they rarely realize that it's OK to be different.
Heh, I saw a segment on 60 minutes about some research being done on very young children; some as young as 3 months old.

They did a puppet show for these kids. 3 puppets, the one in the middle was struggling to open a toy box. In one show, one of the other two puppets helped the one in the middle open the box. In the other show, the 3rd puppet jumped on the box making it even harder to open. Something like 75% of the 3-month-old children showed a preference for the helpful puppet after watching these shows. This demonstrated that even at 3 months, children recognize good vs. bad behavior.

They took it further. Some puppets were shown playing with a ball or something, throwing it back and forth. Another puppet comes along and grabs the ball and leaves. Then they go back to the original two shows, with the puppet who stole the ball trying to open the box. Amazingly, the 3-month-old children now showed a preference for the puppet that made it harder to open the box. Again, near 75%. This demonstrated that not only do 3-month-olds recognize good vs. bad behavior, they also recognize that bad behavior should be punished.

This brings me to the point that is relevent to your post, Doc. They took it further. They offered the kids a choice between graham crackers and cheerios. They must have been a bit older if they were eating solids but they were still very young. Anyway, after they chose, they had a puppet make the same choice in front of them, sometimes choosing the same option and sometimes choosing the opposite. Then they had that puppet try to open the toy box in the same original puppet shows. If the puppet chose the opposite snack, the kids preferred the puppet that made it harder to open the box. This showed that at a very young age, kids demonstrated a desire to punish others simply for being different.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
1. The biology of politics: Liberals roll with the good, conservatives confront the bad

Rather than believing those with opposite political views are uninformed or willfully obtuse, the authors said, political tolerance could be enhanced if it was widely understood that political differences are based in part on our physiological and cognitive differences.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-01/uon-tbo010412.php

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I gave you my reading of your link in 17 which I read some months ago in #18. What altered realities did you see liberals making? I saw the point as an inability to comprehend where conservatives are coming from based on the missing moral components required, those virtues that are group oriented.

I see that as an inability to feel moral compunctions because there is no liberal feeling of turpitude for a lack of group loyalty. In short, liberals deemphasize the virtue of herd loyalty and see the dangers it creates while conservatives see the virtues and not the dangers. The educated liberal, progressives as I like to call them, have the task of understanding when to apply what. This is why I emphasize that team play is good when you face an external threat and dangerous when you eat the other team that is part of your own league. We have a thread now, for example, where some extremest conservatives what to take the vote away from people who get resources from the government.

Last edited: