Just an update on neurscience...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Faster than a speeding bullet.
More powerful than a locomotive.
Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Look! Up in the sky!
It's a bird. It's a plane. It's Neuroscience!

Yes, it's Neuroscience- strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. Neuroscience - who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel with his bare hands, and who, disguised as Moonbeam, mild mannered poster for a great internet forum, fights the never ending battle for Truth, Justice and the American Way:

http://2012election.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004818

There are as of about September 2012 16 peer review studies of the psychological differences between conservatives and liberals.

Know thyself!

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
My girlfriends mom went in serveral times for an MRI and I don't ever remember them asking her political affiliation.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Liberals sleep more restlessly. Does that mean they have poor choices in mattresses?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Interesting timing. Some while back I had an absolutely horrible headache. This guy limped up behind me and split my skull with an axe. Immediately I felt better but this chick fully grown and in armor jumped out of my head before it healed.

A rather strange day.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
They used to use those study's to prove blacks were inferior to whites. It's good to see the bigots keeping up with the times.
Next time post the one that proves Canadians are afraid of the dark.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
They used to use those study's to prove blacks were inferior to whites. It's good to see the bigots keeping up with the times.

Peer reviewed science, obviously bogus. Good catch.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Interesting timing. Some while back I had an absolutely horrible headache. This guy limped up behind me and split my skull with an axe. Immediately I felt better but this chick fully grown and in armor jumped out of my head before it healed.

A rather strange day.

Life's a bitch when you're hostile to your feminine side. All to be expected when you start baking bread. There's no armor like a good apron.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Peer reviewed science, obviously bogus. Good catch.

Does something make you think I read the article? I didn't, because I don't care. I simply assumed that it was more junk science from people that don't want to do any real work.

If I can't find anything else that amuses me, I'll read it. Maybe.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

A rather strange day.

I love her, she has metis.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Does something make you think I read the article? I didn't, because I don't care. I simply assumed that it was more junk science from people that don't want to do any real work.

The "junk" science says that is exactly what you'll do. ;) BTW there are a few nuggets in the link you can use to bash libruls, but you'd already know that if you didn't just shove your head in the sand when there is even a hint that there might be evidence about to be presented that contradicts your rigid world view.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The "junk" science says that is exactly what you'll do. ;) BTW there are a few nuggets in the link you can use to bash libruls, but you'd already know that if you didn't just shove your head in the sand when there is even a hint that there might be evidence about to be presented that contradicts your rigid world view.

I'm not interested in bashing "libruls". I don't view politics as a team sport, and I have little to no respect for most psychological study's. It's not a "head in the sand" response, it's a "how does this help" response.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm not interested in bashing "libruls". I don't view politics as a team sport, and I have little to no respect for most psychological study's. It's not a "head in the sand" response, it's a "how does this help" response.

How about you just lay back on the couch there and tell me more about this lack of respect for psychological studies. Was your Mother a psychoanalyst?

And we have to remember that the carpenter who needs help turns to the hammer or saw and not the shovel. Always we are limited by our assumptions so those are where we need the attention.

Nov 30, 2006
Here's one that concludes liberals don't understand how conservatives think. Evidence of this is quite common in this forum with all the "demonic" stereotypes liberals have of conservatives...this is especially true among the very liberal progressives here who apparently actually believe their extreme sterotypes are somehow a reflection of reality.

http://faculty.virginia.edu/haidtlab...ons.pub601.pdf

This study asked 2,212 Americans to fill out questionnaires about moral questions. They were asked to fill them out as they thought a “typical liberal” or a “typical conservative” would respond. Moderates and conservatives were very good at guessing how liberals would answer questions. Liberals (especially those who described themselves as “very liberal”) were least able to guess how conservatives would answer.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Here's one that concludes liberals don't understand how conservatives think. Evidence of this is quite common in this forum with all the "demonic" stereotypes liberals have of conservatives...this is especially true among the very liberal progressives here who apparently actually believe their extreme sterotypes are somehow a reflection of reality.

http://faculty.virginia.edu/haidtlab...ons.pub601.pdf

This study asked 2,212 Americans to fill out questionnaires about moral questions. They were asked to fill them out as they thought a “typical liberal” or a “typical conservative” would respond. Moderates and conservatives were very good at guessing how liberals would answer questions. Liberals (especially those who described themselves as “very liberal”) were least able to guess how conservatives would answer.

Yes, yes, yes, why do you think I spend so much time telling liberals that conservatives aren't stupid, that conservatives have 4 or 5 moral judgments that liberals deemphasize. This is the real danger that is posed by conservatives, that they are team players and that when there is no external enemy they destroy the league of American teams, they turn on liberals and demonize them. It is this very valuable survival instinct, the survival of the group, that destroys the group when there's no external threat to focus on. Without an external enemy conservatives go insane and become dangerous to the nation. Liberals are concerned about freedom and fairness to the individual, as are conservatives, but more so, and concerned, very little with the group, which conservatives focus on a lot. That's all great in some situations, but not when it turns inward.

You need to understand that what liberals can't understand about conservatives in the nature of why they are dangerous. We don't have the moral values you do that when perverted, become dangerous. The ignorance about your morality is a bad thing, but the inability of liberals to become dangerous to the group is not.

When you read scientific studies, don't look for negative points about liberals or conservatives, without understanding context. What is a defect in one context is a blessing in another. You can see this better if you listen to an interview of Joseph Haidt by Bill Moyers.

http://billmoyers.com/episode/encore-how-do-conservatives-and-liberals-see-the-world/

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Yes, yes, yes, why do you think I spend so much time telling liberals that conservatives aren't stupid, that conservatives have 4 or 5 moral judgments that liberals deemphasize.

Oh really? Ya I can see how you are always touting how smart Conservatives are. You would never stoup so low as to say anything like Conservatives have a brain defect or anything .....

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Oh really?

You're having some doubts?

How many times do you think I have pointed out that conservatives are not stupid, that they are as intelligent as liberals, that they use their intelligence, however, not to analyze or reason, but to rationalize. And the smarter they are the more able they are too, to deny even more vehemently and skillfully, the reality that threatens their altered world view?

The defect is greater the greater the IQ. The defect is that conservatives are fearful and can't handle it. They bundle up in a security blanket and suck their thumbs while covering their ears and their eyes. You are a text book case. This is why I always try to help you. I have been where you are afraid to go and while it was awful, I survived and got rich. All I want to do is share my treasure.

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
You're having some doubts?

How many times do you think I have pointed out that conservatives are not stupid, that they are as intelligent as liberals, that they use their intelligence, however, not to analyze or reason, but to rationalize. And the smarter they are the more able they are too, to deny even more vehemently and skillfully, the reality that threatens their altered world view?

Probably about as many time as you have won the lottery, been stuck by lightning and seen god all in the same day.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Again, I ask, what is "neurscience"? Misleading thread title.

Thread titles demand brevity. I left out an o and also the far more important fact that not all of the 16 peer review studies are, strictly speaking, neuroscience. What's your point? I hope it's not you getting off on a typo.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You, sir, officially rule.