Judge to rule on if yoga tied to religion and should be banned

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
http://news.yahoo.com/judge-rule-whether-yoga-tied-religion-071730132.html

Judge to rule on whether yoga tied to religion

"SAN DIEGO (AP) — A judge is expected to issue a ruling Monday on whether yoga is a religious practice that shouldn't be allowed to be taught in public schools.

An attorney representing a family bent out of shape over the public school program in the beach city of Encinitas filed a lawsuit in February to stop the district-wide classes. In the lawsuit filed in San Diego Superior Court, attorney Dean Broyles argued that the twice weekly, 30-minute classes are inherently religious, in violation of the separation between church and state.

Judge John S. Meyer is expected to issue his ruling in the case that went to trial.

The Encinitas Union School District is believed to be the first in the country to have full-time yoga teachers at every one of its schools. The lessons are funded by a $533,000, three-year grant from the Jois Foundation, a nonprofit group that promotes Asthanga yoga.

The plaintiffs are Stephen and Jennifer Sedlock and their children, who are students in the district.

Superintendent Timothy B. Baird said since the district started the classes at its nine schools in January, teachers and parents have noticed students are calmer, using the breathing practices to release stress before tests.

"We're not teaching religion," he told The Associated Press. "We teach a very mainstream physical fitness program that happens to incorporate yoga into it."

Broyles said his clients are not seeking monetary damages but are asking the court to intervene and suspend the program.

The lawsuit notes Harvard-educated religious studies professor Candy Gunther Brown found the district's program is pervasively religious, having its roots in Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist and metaphysical beliefs and practices.

Children who have opted out of the program have been harassed and bullied, the plaintiffs say.

Yoga is now taught at public schools from the rural mountains of West Virginia to the bustling streets of Brooklyn as a way to ease stress in today's pressure-packed world where even kindergartners say they feel tense about keeping up with their busy schedules. But most classes are part of an after-school program, or are offered only at a few schools or by some teachers in a district.

The Jois Foundation says it believes the program will become a national model to help schools teach students life skills."

The people suing are mad, and the judge should throw out the case and fine them. But as it is, the people are mental and so is the judicial system nowadays

Last edited by a moderator:

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
This seems to be more P&N related.

But it really depends on how it's being taught. If it's more exercise related, I would think it's fine. If they are mixing in religious elements, then maybe not so much.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
the parents sound stressed, they should find a way to mellow out

edit: derp now i get it

Last edited:

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
This seems to be more P&N related.

But it really depends on how it's being taught. If it's more exercise related, I would think it's fine. If they are mixing in religious elements, then maybe not so much.

Yea since its being funded by Asthanga I have mixed feelings. I agree if its just the exercise then that should be ok. But if it has any "teachings" then probably not so much.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I love how scared christians are of yoga. Seeing people get healthy, fit and happy without their bible or tithes being involved is scary stuff.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I love how scared christians are of yoga. Seeing people get healthy, fit and happy without their bible or tithes being involved is scary stuff.

So substituting one religious belief for another is ok with you as long as it's not a Christian one? You're a very hateful person. D:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

You mean like how atheists are scared of being told "Thou shalt not steal"? :cool:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
From Wiki the 8 "limbs" of ashtanga yoga:
-moral codes
-self-purification and study
-posture
-breath control
-withdrawing of the mind from the senses
-concentration
-deep meditation
-Union with the object of meditation

Depending on how much they teach at the school, I can see there being issues.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
So substituting one religious belief for another is ok with you as long as it's not a Christian one? You're a very hateful person. D:

Who told you I consider yoga a religion?

Hate is not a prerequisite for the observation of butt hurt, try again.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
nehalem256

"You mean like how atheists are scared of being told "Thou shalt not steal"?"

What an absurd question!

If you knew anything about atheists you would know that most have a personal philosophy akin to "live and let live" and base their moral code on the equivalent of the "Golden Rule" (which predates Christianity) and precludes stealing.

Any more made-up crap you want to share today?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I don't know any scared atheists. 'Amused' or 'exasperated' seem like far more appropriate descriptions.

nehalem256

"You mean like how atheists are scared of being told "Thou shalt not steal"?"

What an absurd question!

If you knew anything about atheists you would know that most have a personal philosophy akin to "live and let live" and base their moral code on the equivalent of the "Golden Rule" (which predates Christianity) and precludes stealing.

Any more made-up crap you want to share today?

So when Christians sue because of religion being endorsed by the government they are scared.

But when Atheists sue because of religion being endorsed by the government they are "living and let live"

o_O

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
So long as they focus on the breathing, stretching, exercise, calming aspects of yoga and leave out any of the spiritual and metaphysical stuff, I see no issue. There's no denying that yoga is good exercise and calming. Some things I think our youth could use more of.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I don't think this raises a legitimate Establishment Clause concern if they are teaching only the physical and not the spiritual aspects of yoga.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
The physical acts of yoga is not a religion. It's what is potentially being taught along with the physical acts that need to be looked at. Just doing a bunch of stretching, strength building, and breathing exercises is a perfectly acceptable physical education type of class. Incorporating more into the class than that is not the role of that class. I think the suit has merit because it is challenging the "morals" and other "teachings" being done in the class. Now if the start of the class in the first of the semester has a small history lesson about the origin of Yoga then that would be OK. If the class has daily moral teachings and such.... that isn't something I agree should be forced upon every student.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
So when Christians sue because of religion being endorsed by the government they are scared.

I'm sure not all cases they bring are rooted 100% in fear, but most are. Kinda ties in with that whole victim complex they've been nurturing. chrisitianity losing preferential status keeps many holy rollers up at night - other religions are just pretenders, didn't you get that memo?

But when Atheists sue because of religion being endorsed by the government they are "living and let live"

Nope, just trying to remind everyone of the separation of church and state, and that it's not the government's business to espouse or promote religious ideas. Despite the religious desperately wanting to believe otherwise, freedom of religion really is freedom from religion.

Look at that, 2 consecutive posts without any spite or hate leveled at women, wow. They call this growth! ;)

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
From the article, because it needs repeating:

"We're not teaching religion," he told The Associated Press. "We teach a very mainstream physical fitness program that happens to incorporate yoga into it."

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
From the article, because it needs repeating:

Saying it and doing it may not actually equate. Considering how slanted the article is written.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Damn Christians always trying to take Yoga out of our schools and our society. Next time there is a school shooting, remember that the calming effects of Yoga won't happen where they aren't wanted.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
There's not enough information here to make any kind of determination. I can definitely see parents having an issue if they are teaching meditations and such, just as if they mixed prayer into the classes. It all depends on the spin the instructors are giving it.

Its premature to take a stand either way. It will be interesting to see what the judge decides.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Damn Christians always trying to take Yoga out of our schools and our society. Next time there is a school shooting, remember that the calming effects of Yoga won't happen where they aren't wanted.

I didn't see anything about the plaintiffs being Christian.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
So long as they focus on the breathing, stretching, exercise, calming aspects of yoga and leave out any of the spiritual and metaphysical stuff, I see no issue. There's no denying that yoga is good exercise and calming. Some things I think our youth could use more of.

Agreed. I am personally not afraid of Yoga in and of itself, but I'd be worried about any superstitious aspects of it more than anything and if there are, I'd have nothing to do with it, personally.

And the mantra of: "live and let live" only applies when its something we agree with, no Atheist or religious person truly lives by that, period.