Question Jonnyguru.com seems to be dead for good. RIP, deleted bytes of data

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
URL just doesn't work anymore, so there is not much else to be said.

Sad to see another PSU review site go. Lot of info has been lost, as archive.org did not capture everything.

The humble beginnings as the man's personal page has been preserved.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah, I posted about it I guess a few years ago in OT. There hadn't been any product reviews for several years, so it really looked like the writing was on the wall, and it's shutdown was coming at some point.

Sad to see it go (and for JonnyGuru also having left our forums too).

Edit: Here's the thread I was referring to.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Yeah, I posted about it I guess a few years ago in OT. There hadn't been any product reviews for several years, so it really looked like the writing was on the wall, and it's shutdown was coming at some point.

Sad to see it go (and for JonnyGuru also having left our forums too).

Edit: Here's the thread I was referring to.
I think the PSU review sites ultimately were a victim of their own success. It used to be that legit timebombs existed back then and the populace in general ignorantly viewed any old brick as perfect substitutes, hence Logisys, Coolmax, etc making many sales(and probably still are) because of their $20 units.

But now with 80 Plus and other standards being a selling point, the "worst" has been upgraded to no material difference for 3-5 years or people just default to Seasonic.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When Oklahoma Wolf retired, that spelled the end of jonnyguru.com. A few posters tried to continue posting reviews from other sites...but it was never the same. Sad to see it all gone away.

Reactions: Meghan54

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
All of it’s a bummer. It was awesome to count him as “one of us” - hopefully he still lurks :)
He replied to a post of mine. Needless to say, that was like celebrity talking to me.

(The other was TJ Parker replying to a comment on Youtube regarding his guitar playing for Belinda Carlisle's Runaway Horses concert that was put on video)

Last edited:

Stole

Aug 17, 2009
Sorry for reviving this older thread, but wondering how is it possible that there is no anything archived from the JonnyGuru site (I do not counting Wayback Machine, which cached just some parts, and without easy navigation through the PSU reviews)?
Does anybody knows why owners decided not to provide content at some hosting, at least as a read only source of excellent information on PSUs?
I'm aware that such hosting costs, but I'm also sure that many people (i.e. fans of that excellent site) willing to help with donations or so (me first)...

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Sorry for reviving this older thread, but wondering how is it possible that there is no anything archived from the JonnyGuru site (I do not counting Wayback Machine, which cached just some parts, and without easy navigation through the PSU reviews)?
Does anybody knows why owners decided not to provide content at some hosting, at least as a read only source of excellent information on PSUs?
I'm aware that such hosting costs, but I'm also sure that many people (i.e. fans of that excellent site) willing to help with donations or so (me first)...
Even well-funded sites die. This was his own personal site. Time to let it go.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Contact him and see if he has a site backup and would be interested in your administering it.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Contact him and see if he has a site backup and would be interested in your administering it.

It's worth a shot, but since he created all that content himself, its really his to do with as he sees fit. I'd say it going dark is a good lead on how he feels about it - he may have even been prohibited from maintaining it by whatever his current terms of employment are.

It is definitely sad though, that was such an awesome resource, and it was obviously crafted with such passion.

Reactions: poohbear and Stole

Stole

Aug 17, 2009
I'm willing to help in reviving that site (like an archive, of course, have no experience in PSU testing), but I'm not sure that Jon (or whoever is owning rights now) would be willing (i.e. have time) to bother with someone without any reputation or experience in PSU world. But I can try to contact him or Oklahoma Wolf here at forum (if they are still active) and see what could be done... Will do when I get little more free time.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I think Jonny himself handed the site to OklahomaWolf, who also retired in 2018 and then the last boss was Tazz. You will have to try contacting Wolf or Tazz to see if they still have the data.

Reactions: Stole

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
wake up......theere really are no tickin g time bombs as far as PSU`s are concerned anymore.......get over it!! My good buddy Johnny Guru or jon as some of us call hinm,was the and still is the GOAT!~!!

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
wake up......theere really are no tickin g time bombs as far as PSU`s are concerned anymore.......get over it!! My good buddy Johnny Guru or jon as some of us call hinm,was the and still is the GOAT!~!!

Shut up, Yoda, you're drunk! :p

Plenty of time bombs out there, including some recent Gigabyte ones that actually caught on fire :D

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Shut up, Yoda, you're drunk! :p

Plenty of time bombs out there, including some recent Gigabyte ones that actually caught on fire :D
I`m sorry that you are so paranoid.......perhaps you should be playing checkers instead of using a computer!
Back 15 years ago a site like Johnny`s was needed........nowadays not so much!! Let me know how the checkers thing turns out....

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I think it depends on multiple factors. There are still plenty of crappy PSU out there, but one thing that I suspect helped is better power management states for PCs. We used to see all the time, Athlon and Pentium 3 era motherboards and PSU caps fail but they often disabled halt idle or something to reduce PSU lag and associated instability, due to running CPU off 5V PSU rail with more current, and since then the industry moved to aggressive CPU and GPU voltage reduction and downclocking to save power, plus HDD capacity wasn't all that high back then, so many people needed multiple HDD powered to reach their target storage capacity.

PSUs had lower wattage ratings, but a higher average load long term, in addition to being less efficient themselves, plus I can't speak for everyone but as I got older I found fewer hours of time and less desire for long gaming sessions so reduced the load from that too, and don't push overclocking nearly as much because I no longer plan to upgrade every year or two, just want parts to last.

So... that hypothetical 300-400W PSU I had years ago, maybe had an average draw of 200W while today, usually higher than 400W PSU in a system but draw closer to 100W avg., or less for lesser used systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEDIYoda