Jon Stewart on guns and public safety...

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Which are a lot.

As I said, as much as I hate the fact that because of the irresponsibility and violence of other people, I am being inconvenienced, an inconvenience of the kind that is something I can live with, and appreciate the value why it was put in place. I differ very little in my attitude toward gun regulations, in my opinion, from you except where you want a complete ban on guns I see that as a path to civil strife and a violation of a principle of enlightenment.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
As I said, as much as I hate the fact that because of the irresponsibility and violence of other people, I am being inconvenienced, an inconvenience of the kind that is something I can live with, and appreciate the value why it was put in place. I differ very little in my attitude toward gun regulations, in my opinion, from you except where you want a complete ban on guns I see that as a path to civil strife and a violation of a principle of enlightenment.
I know. You make up whatever convenient fictions make you feel better, be it guns or housing.

You’re asleep. You can’t understand the world as it is. I feel bad for you but surely you realize we can’t run the world based on your delusions.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I know. You make up whatever convenient fictions make you feel better, be it guns or housing.

You’re asleep. You can’t understand the world as it is. I feel bad for you but surely you realize we can’t run the world based on your delusions.

And what you don't realize is that the cuckoo clock world you live in IS running on your delusions, mechanically frozen in time and unable to be modified within the program.

Off hand I am aware of numerous people posting here who are for stricter gun laws but oppose an outright gun ban. You have stated that is your goal. But you focus on me who agrees with pretty much everything else you support but that. And yet they have stated plane and simple they regard gun bans as a hopeless pipe-dream and a distraction from tangible issues. Any reason why? Is it because they don't address you personally with the absurdity of chasing that dream that so flies in the face of the world as it is?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I think I found your thread. I was searching for Silencers and PPE whereas the relevant terms were Suppressors and Personal Protection Gear:

Please note that my only objection to California's ban on suppressors was that it makes it illegal to protect hearing with the PPE post coming after not before my own objections for the same reason. Nowhere did I mention the inability to use a suppressor in California as having anything to do with any invasion from another state. My objection was always to being forced to use a fixed magazine to if you want full features and the limitation of ten rounds. Either pass a federal law that limits magazine size in all states or remove the California restriction. Either allow full feature 10 round ARs nationally illegal without fixed magazines or remove the fixed magazine rule for Californians. The only thing I agreed to as being a concern with suppressors was in their potential use in decreasing the possibility of getting caught poaching. The thread was from May but I think it's what you had in mind but were mistaken in remembering.

Yep, that's the one. The thread where you showed your true colors.

This post here is where I came up with the conflated information. I didn't lie, or make it up. I only mixed up suppressors and 100 round fire power as you yourself called it.

I believe my 2nd amendment rights are whatever the Supreme Court says they are. My hope is that California style gun laws will be deemed unconstitutional. I don't want Californians dying with their 10 round BB guns while having to reload while the Marching Morons from Redstatesville have 100 round fire power.

What's in your boogie bag?

The whole "we become what we fear" obviously fell short with you here.

And this one is a nice tid bit: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/the-pew-pew-thread.2589919/post-40747674

As I just said it is already true in California. I am required to own a featureless rifle unless I have a fixed magazine. Those are the ones that look like they can swim. I would be denied a permit for conceal carry. I can only have a 10 round magazine. If I decide to kill somebody with a gun other than one I already own I have to wait ten days. All I have to do then is just not reveal my intent. What a joke. Do nothing about violence except allow ten days to cool down. OK I can wait but I can only buy so many hand guns per period of time. I guess that's to prevent octopi from going on rampages.

But wait, just up the the current thread - here's your stance now on a 10 day waiting period after someone cited a suicide that could have been prevented possibly.

I have no problem with a 10 day waiting period. It is an annoyance for me because it's a waste of gas and my time, I'm already set up if I decide to kill myself, but thanks to Zen I have no intention of going down that road so, while I am happy to live with that regulation because it can give rash decisions time to pass. California has that restriction as well and you have to pass a safety and California gun law test too.

It's almost like waiting a year to let your emotions simmer changed your POV. Funny how that works.

Like I said back then Moonie, I never pegged your for a guns 'n jesus type. But that seems to fit, as those are the two issues to date that have revealed your humanity.

Thanks for finding it. I was wrong on the timeline (not really uncommon for people), and mixed up suppressors and 100 round fire power, so my bad on those things. But a great refresher on why I stopped buying much of what you're selling, as guns 'n jesus topped with holier-than-thou-pomposity aren't really my thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

This post here is where I came up with the conflated information. I didn't lie, or make it up. I only mixed up suppressors and 100 round fire power as you yourself called it.

And this one is a nice tid bit: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/the-pew-pew-thread.2589919/post-40747674

But wait, just up the the current thread - here's your stance now on a 10 day waiting period after someone cited a suicide that could have been prevented possibly.

It's almost like waiting a year to let your emotions simmer changed your POV. Funny how that works.

Like I said back then Moonie, I never pegged your for a guns 'n jesus type. But that seems to fit, as those are the two issues to date that have revealed your humanity.

Thanks for finding it. I was wrong on the timeline (not really uncommon for people), and mixed up suppressors and 100 round fire power, so my bad on those things. But a great refresher on why I stopped buying much of what you're selling, as guns 'n jesus topped with holier-than-thou-pomposity aren't really my thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks for realizing that where you thought I had stolen someone else’s reasoning to put a more moderate face on an actually more sinister but true inner intent that, if true and wasn’t, as you imagined, would reveal my callow and selfish indifference to the lives of others, I had actually already presented that same PPE reasoning and could not have made such a supposedly cunningly devious switch.

As for the rest, what I actually said in that thread remains as opaque to you now as it did then, the ravings of a fevered imagination, hell bent on implying a reality to what I said that wasn’t then and isn’t now there.

In other stares you can legally buy an AR platform rifle that is technically superior for home defense than the best you can legally own in California.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Thanks for realizing that where you thought I had stolen someone else’s reasoning to put a more moderate face on an actually more sinister but true inner intent that, if true and wasn’t, as you imagined, would reveal my callow and selfish indifference to the lives of others, I had actually already presented that same PPE reasoning and could not have made such a supposedly cunningly devious switch.

As for the rest, what I actually said in that thread remains as opaque to you now as it did then, the ravings of a fevered imagination, hell bent on implying a reality to what I said that wasn’t then and isn’t now there.

In other stares you can legally buy an AR platform rifle that is technically superior for home defense than the best you can legally own in California.

then move to a different state?

Reactions: Drach

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I don't want to start another thread about the escaped killer convict in Chester County, PA. The escapee walked into an open garage and stole a guys unlocked rifle.

Shouldn't the homeowner be prosecuted for not properly storing his gun? Now the escaped killer is armed.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't want to start another thread about the escaped killer convict in Chester County, PA. The escapee walked into an open garage and stole a guys unlocked rifle.

Shouldn't the homeowner be prosecuted for not properly storing his gun? Now the escaped killer is armed.
Well, they know where he is. Also, with a rifle in possession he won't find it real easy to get far without being detected. They'll catch him.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Just some more responsible gun ownership.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Well, they know where he is. Also, with a rifle in possession he won't find it real easy to get far without being detected. They'll catch him.

I think the point was that we have a “responsible” gun owner who wasn’t responsible and that irresponsibility has lead to a criminal acquiring a firearm. The irony of criminals acquiring firearms from “responsible” gun owners who purchase guns legally to protect themselves from criminals with guns may be lost on you. It certainly makes the case for the banning and confiscation of firearms that much stronger.

The fact that the number 1 death by firearms is from suicides, presumably from guns purchased legally by “responsible” gun owners and the fact that criminals frequently acquire firearms from “responsible” gun owners via illegal means, and that mass shootings are frequently perpetrated by “responsible” gun owners or with firearms that were acquired from “responsible” gun owners, really only leads to one conclusion…

Guns, indeed, aren’t the problem, “responsible” gun owners are the problem!

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They just caught the guy. Turns out PA doesn't have a law that requires locking up firearms.

Add that to the list of proposed minimum federal safety standards.

Dec 10, 2005

Not only that, the "good guy with a gun" got off several shots with a handgun and missed all of them.

But now he's going to be thrown out of the Responsible Gun Owner™ Club and retroactively denied membership because he let his unsecured weapon get stolen, so you can't use this individual as an example of Responsible People™ having things go wrong with guns.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Not only that, the "good guy with a gun" got off several shots with a handgun and missed all of them.

But now he's going to be thrown out of the Responsible Gun Owner™ Club and retroactively denied membership because he let his unsecured weapon get stolen, so you can't use this individual as an example of Responsible People™ having things go wrong with guns.
eYc684w.gif

nailed it.