Jon Stewart is back, and some of y'all gonna be mad

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I disagree with your premise Biden has no chance.

Biden is older than I would like, by a long shot. But he is the best Democratic candidate at this point in time. It is my opinion that Biden has the most realistic at this point to defeat Trump. And it is a very real chance, not some fantasy.

I would prefer someone like a Newsome, but I don't think he is quite ready for the big stage yet. Part of that is the popularity contest aspect, and Biden is a bigger name than Newsome at the moment. I also think Trump is a bigger name at this moment as well.

For what it's worth, I think Jon Stewart would make a very competent president. But he is not a realistic candidate either.

Where is my premise that I think Biden has no chance? Why do you insist on continuing to totally make shit up that I'm not saying?

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Did I say I had proof? That is my personal take, nothing more nothing less. You're the one that're talking about Jon being a troll and faking and what the shit not.

* what medication are you on right now * ???? - Or not on!
You said he was trolling. Do you even remember what you said? trawwwwling as you put it.

Holy shit.

Now I am sick because you don't want to provide any proof for your accusations and points? Wow. That's impressive. You are on like redsquirrel levels of insanity here.

• Haha
Reactions: cytg111 and Pohemi

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah Biden is old and has occasional brain farts. But let's face it, it's between him and a malignant narcissist going psychotic with fascist tendencies. I really hope Americans can see the bigger picture here. I myself find it hard to believe that Trump became more popular in the last four years, and it is unlikely he can win one of MI, PA, WI, and all of GA, NV, and AZ.
I mean again, I have never ever questioned the choice of Biden vs Trump, it's one of the things in my entire life I've never been more sure about. All these responses deflect from the conversation and point I am making simply about the reality of this race, and how to help Biden win, as he can definitely do, is to acknowledge the reality first, when dealing with uninspired, disillusioned or hesitant voters.

Reactions: Franz316

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
You said he was trolling. Do you even remember what you said? trawwwwling as you put it.

Holy shit.

Now I am sick because you don't want to provide any proof for your accusations and points? Wow. That's impressive. You are on like redsquirrel levels of insanity here.
Try googling "trawling", see what comes up.

It's ok, when you reply "Oh snap" I'll go "No worries mate".

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

Holy shit.

No. Once again, he didn't say that. You need to take a fucking nap or something. And then accusing others of putting words in YOUR mouth? LOL

Do you know what the definition of 'trawling' or 'to trawl' is? Obviously not. Make up your own definition and then attack someone else because YOU don't understand what the fuck you just read.

Seriously man...take a step back already and settle the fuck down. You are being completely irrational. JFC

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
so that's your proof that Jon Stewart is a professional troll and has been faking us out?

That's a long way to say that you ain't got shit, just your feelings. I thought facts over feelings man?
Did you perhaps misinterpret his usage of the world "trawl" and think he meant "troll"?

Edit: I see I saw slow to the draw on this one.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
I don't know why people keep saying this as I have never said or implied anything remotely close that Trump & Biden are in the same league. It's black and white shit, totally evil vs good.
Those were my comments... nothing on anything you said.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
'SEEEEE?! He agrees with me! I was right and you guys were wrong! Those damn pseudo-intellectuals not drawing lines in the sand will be the end of us!'

Using an appeal to authority, and victimhood all in one. And you're basically saying, 'neener neener' to a few people who had differing opinions on the subject.

Alrighty then. You win. :rolleyes:

Biden isn't a great candidate. The DNC should have pushed for a younger option. They didn't. They're not going to at this point. I don't see what good continuing to rant about it does. It's not going to change anything.

What I read in his post had nothing to do about the inevitability of Biden being the guy that's the Dem's choice and the consequences thereof. However, his post did have everything to do about gloating though, which was pretty funny and well, unexpected.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Did you perhaps misinterpret his usage of the world "trawl" and think he meant "troll"?

Edit: I see I saw slow to the draw on this one.
Trawling and trolling are just two different sides of the same coin. They both are fishing methods.

What I read in his post had nothing to do about the inevitability of Biden being the guy that's the Dem's choice and the consequences thereof. However, his post did have everything to do about gloating though, which was pretty funny and well, unexpected.

You are wrong, perhaps you aren't up to date on all the posting of the last couple of days which is the likely story. I'm talking to a specific subset of posters.

I'm amazed some of those people can't read English. My point is that in order to sell Biden to the disillusioned, uninspired and not confident voters out there who don't want trump either, is to be simply able to acknowledge his very weak candidacy and his issues first, then you can convince them to vote. Not if you remain oblivious, which SOME posters here are insisting on doing so, for whatever reason - whether they are truly delusional or whether they don't feel like admitting it.

I've probably said this 10 times by now but people are ignoring it willfully; in fact a couple people went so far to say that if some of those folks need any inspiration to vote for Biden, they can go fuck themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: cytg111 and Pohemi

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Trawling and trolling are just two different sides of the same coin. They both are fishing methods.

You are wrong, perhaps you aren't up to date on all the posting of the last couple of days which is the likely story. I'm talking to a specific subset of posters.

I'm amazed some of those people can't read English. My point is that in order to sell Biden to the disillusioned, uninspired and not confident voters out there who don't want trump either, is to be simply able to acknowledge his very weak candidacy and his issues first, then you can convince them to vote. Not if you remain oblivious, which SOME posters here are insisting on doing so, for whatever reason - whether they are truly delusional or whether they don't feel like admitting it.

I've probably said this 10 times by now but people are ignoring it willfully; in fact a couple people went so far to say that if some of those folks need any inspiration to vote for Biden, they can go fuck themselves.
One would think/hope that the alternative to Biden - trump - is motivation enough to vote for Biden.

This is where many people will then say "but both sides (tm) are bad" when, regardless of whether that is true or not, one side is clearly, clearly worse.

So yes, on the one hand, meeting people where they are is necessary.
On the other hand, if people haven't figured out that trump is an existential threat to democracy, can you really blame others for being frustrated with that?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
So... you've decided what he meant was "troll", very reasonable of you.
In what context do you think he was using the word trawwwwling for when he was implying Stewart is just doing this to get a rise out of people for ratings and really isn't a sincere person about his beliefs?

• Haha

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
In what context do you think he was using the word trawwwwling for when he was implying Stewart is just doing this to get a rise out of people for ratings and really isn't a sincere person about his beliefs?
That's an inference you're making, and is not what I got out of the post. Nothing in his post made me think he was saying Stewart was just getting a rise out of people, but rather exactly what he said, casting a net to bring people along for a ride (I guess this is where you diverged?) to understand that ultimately, whether one likes it or not, voting for Biden is what we'll end up needing to do if we want to keep democracy around.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Just to be clear I don’t think Biden is too old or mentally imparted to be President and I think Stewart was an ass to play that toon, and Trump has been mentally unfit for any elected position his whole adult life. My problem is that I am really upset he supported funding Israeli response to Hamas that involves killing innocent Israeli imprisoned Palestinian people. I don’t want to be forced to feel shame for my country and I find it shameful.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
No you Buffoon. See this is the problem with climbing trees like this, you always leave an out. You know, besides free fall/terminal velocity. You all the way up there now and no way to get down.

What I meant with trawling was that he is picking up a lot of those undecided voters in the middle, acknowledging their feelings and ultimately showing them that, still, the only viable choice is gonna be democrat. He is not trolling he is going for hearts and minds. But first he needs to get em to listen.

That is what I think Jon is doing.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
No you Buffoon. See this is the problem with climbing trees like this, you always leave an out. You know, besides free fall/terminal velocity. You all the way up there now and no way to get down.

What I meant with trawling was that he is picking up a lot of those undecided voters in the middle, acknowledging their feelings and ultimately showing them that, still, the only viable choice is gonna be democrat. He is not trolling he is going for hearts and minds. But first he needs to get em to listen.

That is what I think Jon is doing.

Since I wrote this in the actual OP, literally the thread-starting post, and it wasn't a long original post either, which says exactly what you are saying now
This is early on in the campaign cycle so he is just setting the stage, and I am quite sure he will be painting the picture over the next months that you have to vote for Biden, as I stated. But it was refreshing to see this guy tell it how it is now.

Why wouldn't you just agree with me instead of TELLING ME I DIDN"T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK STEWART WAS DOING? I think it was logical that I assumed you actually read something first before responding to it. You basically quoted my original post and said I was totally missing what Jon was doing. Instead I had already said he was setting the stage to get people to vote for Biden later by speaking these things now.

Maybe I give people too much credit that they actually read things before responding? I thought I was cynical and negative, why would I do that?

I'm the buffoon that needs the medication?

Hot damn people.

Last edited:
  • Haha

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Since I wrote this in the actual OP, and it wasn't a long original post either, which says exactly what you are saying now

Why wouldn't you just agree with me instead of TELLING ME I DIDN"T KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON? I think it was logical that I assumed you actually read something first before responding to it. Maybe I give people too much credit? I thought I was cynical and negative, why would I do that?

And I need the medication?
Yea Ok, sure, I guess…. You sure its the out youre going for? Cause the counter arguments are ready to go but what would be the fucking point? Lets just put it on me. My bad. Cheers.

Reactions: iRONic and Pohemi

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yea Ok, sure, I guess…. You sure its the out youre going for? Cause the counter arguments are ready to go but what would be the fucking point? Lets just put it on me. My bad. Cheers.
It's in my original post, unedited since this morning. That's the out I'm going for? The out I planned back in the past before your own post?

Just say, my bad, I didn't read your post fully or didn't read it well, I actually agreed with you and didn't mean to call you out as the opposite.

• Haha

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
It's in my original post, unedited since this morning. That's the out I'm going for? The out I planned back in the past before your own post?

Just say, my bad, I didn't read your post fully or didn't read it well, I actually agreed with you and didn't mean to call you out as the opposite.

my bad, I didn't read your post fully or didn't read it well, I actually agreed with you and didn't mean to call you out as the opposite

I hope you’re taking notes.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
The fault of the democrats is in failing to cultivate younger nationally marketable politicians in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s.

In the absence of a younger dynamic candidate continuing with Biden is the only logical position.

2028 the Dems will have to find a decent candidate not in their 70’s/80’s.

Enter Jon Stewart

Where is my premise that I think Biden has no chance? Why do you insist on continuing to totally make shit up that I'm not saying?

I'm just mad at you for saying y'all. Every New Yorker has to say YOU ALL!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I hope you’re taking notes.

Yes I am. My original post

This is early on in the campaign cycle so he is just setting the stage, and I am quite sure he will be painting the picture over the next months that you have to vote for Biden, as I stated. But it was refreshing to see this guy tell it how it is now.

Your first repsonse to me

I dont think you understand whats going on here.
This is where Jon starts in an effort to trawl as many individuals as humanly possible along for a ride, a ride that can only end at one destination. Jon is smart. Might even be clever.

hey man, all you have to do is say you misread or didn't read all of my OP, and move along.

I take my meds, perhaps you should up your dosages?

Have a good night dear chap :)

Reactions: cytg111

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I remember Jon Stewart's last hot take:
(in short, the Chinese leaked it)

and:
Despite the fact that animal host of SARS‐CoV2 has not yet been identified, zoonotic origin is supported by a substantial body of research. Even though laboratory accidents cannot entirely be ruled out, it can be deduced from the current research that the emergence of SARS‐CoV‐2 likely stemmed from natural adaptation. It is imperative to conduct comprehensive investigations on the source of COVID‐19 by tight international collaborations. Otherwise, the world remains vulnerable to future pandemic of serious infectious diseases.

That is one skeleton to have in ones closet. I would hide a few years after making that video to. Popping up now and trying to make hay on Biden? Sure, opportunistic as always.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I'm wondering now, whether part of the reason for the continuing domination of politics by Boomers (and older - Biden is pre-Boomer) might be something as simple as numbers - the next cohort, of people in 40s or 50s, would be Gen-X and there aren't that many Gen-Xers. They (we) are the demographic valley between the twin peaks of Boomers and Millennials (was about to go for a more anatomical analogy but really didn't care for the image that conjured up - EDIT, though as Ron De Santis is Gen-X, perhaps it wouldn't be entirely inaccurate after all)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dank69 and Pohemi