Jon Stewart is back, and some of y'all gonna be mad

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Jon Stewart hosted the daily show last night for the first time since he left many years back, and will be doing so every Monday this year. Most of the first twenty minutes he spent talking about us having Trump/Biden again.

He tackled the age subject pretty quickly. He called out both and he definitely called out Biden for his failings and the Dems for this being the candidate they bring to the table, again. He definitely called out how bad Biden looked, and he even mentioned how Biden skipped an easy Superbowl interview and it was stupid, and how could the Democrats come up with this guy as the candidate in an election so important.

Wow. The exact things SOME of the pseudo-intellectuals on this thread tore into me for.

This is early on in the campaign cycle so he is just setting the stage, and I am quite sure he will be painting the picture over the next months that you have to vote for Biden, as I stated. But it was refreshing to see this guy tell it how it is now. Instead of being a head in the sand pseudo intellectual like some posters here.

I guess some of y'all should head down to the Daily Show with pitchforks. I find it refreshing that Jon Stewart can tell the truth here, and I appreciate him basically backing up everything I said. Enjoy the video if you watch it.

Last edited:

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
'SEEEEE?! He agrees with me! I was right and you guys were wrong! Those damn pseudo-intellectuals not drawing lines in the sand will be the end of us!'

Using an appeal to authority, and victimhood all in one. And you're basically saying, 'neener neener' to a few people who had differing opinions on the subject.

Alrighty then. You win. :rolleyes:

Biden isn't a great candidate. The DNC should have pushed for a younger option. They didn't. They're not going to at this point. I don't see what good continuing to rant about it does. It's not going to change anything.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Can't say I really understand what this argument is about. Still less why @MrSquished keeps going on about "pseudo-intellectuals".

I think it is a kind of failure that the Democrats have ended up with no better option than Biden, but it's the reality at this point, what's the benefit in going on-and-on about it?

And it's a failure of the entire US system, it seems to me, not even just the Democrat Party (my tentative theory is that the hugely-skewed US electoral system leads to a bias towards white men, which in turn results in a bias towards the elderly when it comes to candidates).

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Can't say I really understand what this argument is about. Still less why @MrSquished keeps going on about "pseudo-intellectuals".

I think it is a kind of failure that the Democrats have ended up with no better option than Biden, but it's the reality at this point, what's the benefit in going on-and-on about it?

Pick a keyword, repeat it every few posts. Pick a topic with others disagreeing, and he won't drop it for a fucking year.

Reactions: iRONic

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

And it's a failure of the entire US system, it seems to me, not even just the Democrat Party (my tentative theory is that the hugely-skewed US electoral system leads to a bias towards white men, which in turn results in a bias towards the elderly when it comes to candidates).

Because when you're trying to convince people to vote for Biden, You have to sound sane and acknowledge that it's a pretty weak showing and a weak candidate by the Democrats. And then you can speak from a place of reality not like ' Joe Biden is dominating an uncontested formality primary contest! He's what the Dems wanted, '

They also say things like it doesn't matter if a President shows his face In silly things like interviews when people need inspiration. Which John Stewart smashes down quite nicely.

In the last thread one guy said I don't care if people want more than Biden or to see more from Biden to be inspired, they deserve fascism.

The only reason I mention it is because people are in fucking denial still. They can't even get past the denial stage. You can't talk to uninspired or lesser informed voters if you don't exist in reality.

And no, the Democrats choosing Joe Biden this time again is the Democrats fault. It's not America's fault.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Just because Jon leans left doesn’t mean I am going to blindly agree with what he says…

I did a poll here several years ago and asked the question along the lines would you question your party. The left answered they would be critical of their own party while the right would be more inclined to vote along party lines no matter the topic…

Now I like it when Jon questions the left…. Makes the left a better by exposing their stupidity…

Now think about the insanity the right would have been if Biden did the interview during the superbowl… those dipshits could not even stand Taylor swift being on camera for 30 seconds during a playoff game. The retard right would have broken Facebook with all their rage

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just because Jon leans left doesn’t mean I am going to blindly agree with what he says…

I did a poll here several years ago and asked the question along the lines would you question your party. The left answered they would be critical of their own party while the right would be more inclined to vote along party lines no matter the topic…

Now I like it when Jon questions the left…. Makes the left a better by exposing their stupidity…

Now think about the insanity the right would have been if Biden did the interview during the superbowl… those dipshits could not even stand Taylor swift being on camera for 30 seconds during a playoff game. The retard right would have broken Facebook with all their rage

Holy shit imagine running your campaign based upon pissing off people that are always pissed off and will be pissed off no matter what you do.

Hey man if you think running the campaign based upon not angering MAGA Is the way to do it, Well I very strongly disagree. You don't belong in the race or running the race if that's how you play it.

Reactions: soulcougher73

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If Biden isn't good enough, the United States under MAGA will dig a hole so deep, Western Civilization will not survive.
Because unlike any other election since WW2, this is total war. And our opposition is 100% loyal to the Eastern Bloc.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I think it is a kind of failure that the Democrats have ended up with no better option than Biden
Kind of makes you wonder what goes on internally in the party that helps these unpopular candidates hang on to power. Obama was compelling. Obama was popular, charismatic, intellectual. Hillary was not. Biden, this election. is not. I would have thought the Dems would have learned their lesson with Hillary.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Kind of makes you wonder what goes on internally in the party that helps these unpopular candidates hang on to power. Obama was compelling. Obama was popular, charismatic, intellectual. Hillary was not. Biden, this election. is not. I would have thought the Dems would have learned their lesson with Hillary.
It doesn't matter whether a candidate is compelling. It matters whether they can win. Because there is no prize for 2nd place. There is no sharing of power. And very importantly, Biden beat Trump, which gives him a very good chance of doing it again.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
If Biden isn't good enough, the United States under MAGA will dig a hole so deep, Western Civilization will not survive.
Because unlike any other election since WW2, this is total war. And our opposition is 100% loyal to the Eastern Bloc.
Its kinda funny to contemplate that entirety of the free world hangs in the balance of a few dick picks The Vlad might have of a few assholes.

Reactions: Pohemi

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I always thought Hilary Clinton was a bad choice of candidate. She was portrayed as the "moderate, sensible, and hence _electable_ one". And then failed to get elected, which was surely kind-of her whole selling point? None of my business on one level, but it (as so often has been the case in recent decades) seems to very closely echo what happens here in the UK (our politics seem to march in lockstep). What is the point of 'sensible moderates' if they can't win elections (and get painted as dangerous radicals by the right anyway)?

The thing about Biden though, to be fair, is he _did_ succeed last time, and I think he deserves some credit for that, especially given how dangerous his opponent was/is.

And, as I say, I think the problem is not just about the Democrats - everyone at the top of US politics seems to be scarily ancient. I wonder if it's because the electoral college system (and the Senate, and the ubiquity of gerrymandering and voter suppression) gives disproportionate power to white guys, which in turn may be one reason why it's so hard for figures from the younger generations to break through, as those generations are less white and less male-dominated than the ones who still cling to power.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Because when you're trying to convince people to vote for Biden, You have to sound sane and acknowledge that it's a pretty weak showing and a weak candidate by the Democrats. And then you can speak from a place of reality not like ' Joe Biden is dominating an uncontested formality primary contest! He's what the Dems wanted, '

Dean Phillips is almost literally "generic democrat" and primary voters overwhelmingly said no. What do yo want exactly?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

The party organizations are themselves quite weak and it's strange that people believe they are somehow insanely strong and can call the shots. Strong enough in this case to dump an incumbent president despite it never happening in the history of the county.

The Republicans are similarly saddled with Trump again instead of somebody demonstrably more competitive in the general election being available.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Dean Phillips is almost literally "generic democrat" and primary voters overwhelmingly said no. What do yo want exactly?
Impressive you are doubling down on Dean Phillips being an actual serious candidate in what is a formality of a primary. That is MAGA level of a detachment from reality.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
The Republicans are similarly saddled with Trump again instead of somebody demonstrably more competitive in the general election being available.

Saddled.. ???? They LOVE Trump!!!!

Can't you see the frothing from compuwiz, brandonbull, importedtajmahal, hurleybird, sp33demon, s0me0ne'smind1, braznor.

They played the long game, and Trump delivered for them! They are fapping non stop at everything they've won since 2017. And they have been winning.. because Dems can get NOTHING done!

What the fuck have we even got to talk about over the last 10 years policy wise? Has anything impacted us positively?? I can't even remember the last policy that impacted me positively since the ACA.

Answer me this.. which was the last dem or rep policy that positively effected your life and made your life better?

For the GOP its EPA. For the dems its ACA. And last 10 years is just gridlock!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Impressive you are doubling down on Dean Phillips being an actual serious candidate in what is a formality of a primary. That is MAGA level of a detachment from reality.

You know polling exists for this and the likely challengers do not fare as well as Biden. Anyway if you got your wish the next most likely candidate would be Harris who does even worse in the head to heads.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Can't you see the frothing from compuwiz, brandonbull, importedtajmahal, hurleybird, sp33demon, s0me0ne'smind1, braznor.

They played the long game, and Trump delivered for them! They are fapping non stop at everything they've won since 2017. And they have been winning.. because Dems can get NOTHING done!

What the fuck have we even got to talk about over the last 10 years policy wise? Has anything impacted us positively?? I can't even remember the last policy that impacted me positively since the ACA.

Haley outperforms him in basically every GE poll. If the party is really all powerful it would push Trump aside for her. It isn't so it can't.

Reactions: hal2kilo

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
And very importantly, Biden beat Trump, which gives him a very good chance of doing it again.
Which would give him a very good chance of doing it again...
If he wasn't pissing off segments of voters who helped him win an important swing state or two.
But maybe we can count of Trump doing something to inadvertently help Biden's chances...
It's pretty sad when running a smart strategically sound campaign to win gives way to how terribad the voters think your opponent is in determining an election result.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Because when you're trying to convince people to vote for Biden, You have to sound sane and acknowledge that it's a pretty weak showing and a weak candidate by the Democrats.

And no, the Democrats choosing Joe Biden this time again is the Democrats fault. It's not America's fault.

I haven't been witness to the discussions you've been having with people here, but most of these can be true in one situation and in my view are.

Out of the list of realistic alternatives (from the options being offered by the parties), I'd absolutely recommend voting for Biden. Who else? A vote for Trump or any of his party is a vote for getting rid of democracy.

It's completely understandable that the Democrats are fielding Biden as their guy again, after all he won the last election. How often does it happen that the guy who won isn't chosen for the next election? Most politicians would want a really good reason to do otherwise, like the kind of good bet that one is confident to put >$100m on. Between "this person has won an election before" and "this person hasn't won an election before", surely this seems like a no-brainer? If the GQP had fielded a much stronger candidate, that's the kind of reason why the Democrats ought to consider an alternative to Biden. But the fact of the matter is, the Democrats are mostly a conservative party; why would a conservative party change? Political change mostly comes from the masses, like say the GQP getting their asses handed to them in the next election; if that happened I guarantee that they'll drop Trump and the rest of his morons in five minutes flat.

It is America's fault that America is experiencing this situation. Whose else would it be? The Democrats are Americans, the GQP are as well, so are the public/electorate. The GQP could have cleared their house by now, the public could have a promising third option if the public were so inclined, some Democrat could have tried to make greater waves.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Answer me this.. which was the last dem or rep policy that positively effected your life and made your life better?

For the GOP its EPA. For the dems its ACA. And last 10 years is just gridlock!
and the EPA was back in the days of Nixon. What have they done to benefit the average person since?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Zilcha. Nada.

The Rs where not always this nhillistic and did occasionally pass things that helped regular people.

Medicare Part D would be an example. Though Ds also get credit and have just rolled back the prohibition on Medicare negotiating drug price in the IRA which will lower out of pocket costs to consumers and overall program costs.