Joint bank account with roommates - Good idea or bad idea?

Is having a shared bank account with a friend/roommate a good idea?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

SSUSeaWolf

Mar 12, 2009
I will be living with a long time friend soon. We want to setup a joint bank account to make it easier to split food expenses, rent, furniture, etc.

Obviously we have a lot of trust, love and care for each other, so I think this could work.

As long as we both put the same amount of money in to the account it seems like a viable option.

Thoughts?

GlacierFreeze

Golden Member
May 23, 2005
Very, very bad idea.

To split bills and food, just take what you need out of your own separate accounts.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
So what happens when your buddy (and his girl friend) decides to have steak and lobster three nights a week and leaves no money for rent/utilities or your food?

This is a very bad idea and if implemented will end badly.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I wouldn't even get a joint account with my wife, and I'd trust her with my life.
And she is more frugal than me, still wouldn't do it.

Edit: But when you ignore our advice and do it anyway, at least come back here to let us know how it all turned out.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2000
the risks far far outweigh the possible benefits

how about a joint google spreadsheet where you keep tally instead

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
HELL NO!

Money is a tricky issue. The person may have every intention of being responsible with a join account, but stuff happens. You don't want to be dragged down with them if they end up treating the account as a short term bank until payday. Both of you are probably fairly young too, so there is even more chance of immaturity when it comes to money.

Just set up a google excel doc of expenses. Enter the stuff you buy and when you pay each other.

mesthead21

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2004
Worst. Idea. Evar.

Don't do it OP, very few times there are things like this that work out with roommates.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
This is a terrible idea, with almost no upside.

Here's an idea - put receipts in a jar, then even things up once a month. Then you'll have a reasonable opportunity to object to anyunreasonable expenses.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Unless you two are engaged and are on the verge of getting married, I'd say this would be a pretty bad idea.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Shit like that doesn't even work well for married folks. You think you're special?

DingDingDao

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
Ignore these people, OP. It's a great idea, as long as you implement it properly. Make sure you guys contribute equally, and load it up as high as you can go before you withdraw all the money and take off for Vegas. Also, alternate ID will be useful when you're on the run and your roommate is trying to track you down.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I cannot think of a single benefit to this idea. But I can think of lots of reasons to not do it.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
I think this is a great idea if you'd like your roomate to bend you over and make you squeal.