Joining Team Ukraine to show support?

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
Hi everyone in the DC community.

We over at XtemeSystems are joining the Ukraine team on some of their BOINC projects.
This is the best way we can find to show our support for a sovereign country that was invaded by an another country
and doing it NOW and where it can be seen.
We are seeing asking if anyone is as frustrated as we are. This is a way
to show what we believe in, we do it every day with the projects we select.

DC is about supporting what you believe in, it's personal, it costs us
so why not show our support for country that did not ask for war but it's people are getting killed as we speak.

It's not about POLITICS it about caring for humanity and that is what DC is all about!

Since most of us have no ability to help them fight the Russians militarily,
this is one of the ways some of us are able to show show support for the Ukraine,
this is about support, it's what we do on DC every day.

We know this is a personal choice but we wanted to tell the community that this is
going on and if you wanna put your computers to work to show support,
this is a way you can. It makes me feel good to do this but it's not
for everyone.

Here is there BOINC project team list:
https://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teammain&team=Ukraine
Here is our thread
https://xs4s.org/index.php?topic=30190.msg95387#msg95387

It's a small act in the realm of reality of what is happening, but something to show support at least.
Thanks for any support and if anyone has accounts on other forums,
please feel free to post a thread there as well to gather support.

(If this is out of line or anything then the mods can delete or whatever.)

Thank you,
SystemViper

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Which projects are non-Russian and medical ?

And WCG is down, and Rosetta is essentially down.

Reactions: SystemVipers

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Hey, for this I am willing to not run medical tasks for awhile. TN-Grid is essentially down also and SiDock servers are in Russia?, so that looks out also.

I'd like to switch over with others from this team to help the Ukraine team if possible.

Looks like from here: https://xs4s.org/index.php?topic=30190.0
that Ukraine is in the Formula BOINC competition and some on XS are shifting to both SRbase and PG.

Is there some consensus on what others would like to run? I will go with the flow!

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
I'll get back to you, but these are the Russian projects
T.Brada, Amicable, Gerasim, ODLK, ODLK1 and RakeSearch

SV

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
Hey, for this I am willing to not run medical tasks for awhile. TN-Grid is essentially down also and SiDock servers are in Russia?, so that looks out also.

I'd like to switch over with others from this team to help the Ukraine team if possible.

Looks like from here: https://xs4s.org/index.php?topic=30190.0
that Ukraine is in the Formula BOINC competition and some on XS are shifting to both SRbase and PG.

Is there some consensus on what others would like to run? I will go with the flow!

Hi, I just put my gpu's finishing up some colatz and the others on PG, but i will probably just go to PG and see what plays out.
we were just chatting about the PG, it would be great to see Ukraine win this year!

This is all just developing.

Thanks to all
SV

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I'll throw some machines at it. Thanks for the list, I knew most of those were Russian but didn't realize Amicable Numbers was.

I just changed my team affiliation on Primegrid to Ukraine since that's what I'm currently running. What a crazy world we live in when you see New members in last day bluestang | systemviper | Icecold :p Good idea though!

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I'll run Prime Grid for awhile for Ukraine. Looking to see if there is some kind of "sub" project setting I should set up to help them with the prime grid challenge? Any help?

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I'll run Prime Grid for awhile for Ukraine. Looking to see if there is some kind of "sub" project setting I should set up to help them with the prime grid challenge? Any help?
The current running Primegrid 'challenge' (tour de primes) is more about individuals finding primes than a team challenge. If you want to score maximum points in Primegrid on GPU's select either 'Wieferich and Wall-Sun-Sun Prime Search' or 'Proth Prime Search (Sieve)'. Proth Prime search doesn't find primes though, and I think Wieferich and Wall-Sun-Sun is maybe not part of tour de primes. All those points do go towards Formula BOINC as well as overall BOINC points, etc. though for Ukraine. If you are interested in Tour de Primes I would select GFN 16. I'm not sure what CPU subprojects score the most points but I've been running PPS LLR.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Thanks IceCold!. I really only want the max points for team Ukraine. Finding something else is just icing on the cold cake :)

I don't jump around projects too often so this helps a lot. I think I was still setup on PG for whatever last challenge? Whatever.... :)

I really do appreciate the feedback!

Reactions: Icecold

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I would run Wieferich and Wall-Sun-Sun Prime Search on your GPU's then. It's pretty close in points to PPS Sieve on most cards AFAIK(or it was the last time I looked at it) and gives the opportunity to find a prime. I may be biased because I found a prime(GFN 16) today though which was pretty cool :D

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
ODLK1 is owned by an Italian.
T.Brada is owned by a Slovak.

Besides, the science done in Amicable Numbers, Gerasim@Home, ОДЛК, RakeSearch (and maybe for completeness, SiDock@home whose project infrastructure is provided by the RakeSearch team) is, as far as I can tell, quite a bit removed from dual-use. For what that's worth.

I am hesitating to run any of these projects myself now though, although it's irrational. Can't make my mind up about that for now.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I am hesitating to run any of these projects myself now though, although it's irrational. Can't make my mind up about that for now.
Same. I like ODLK (heck if things played out differently I could be "owning" or at least providing an ODLK2 server :p ) but there's the semi irrational part of me that wants nothing to do with anything Russian currently.

Damn, @Icecold you just joined the team and your #1

Respect
SV
Thanks! Once Tour de Primes is over in a couple days I'll switch over to a higher PPD subproject on Primegrid.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I guess Twitter users might have a tendency to simplify some things, such as operations of an international space station, a little for sake of brevity.

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
As far as boycotting projects, that's a personal choice, I'm not even sure about that .
Everything happened so fast

So any opinions are welcome but you guys know that...
oh yea good morning, it's the weekend!
SV

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
This isn't even about the amount of points you contribute or positions taken, but the action that it shows!
The more members from outside Ukraine joining "National Team of Ukraine"

From around the World joining, That matters, It represents community support.

Just a thought.
SystemViper

Reactions: Assimilator1

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I bumped Bluestang's post over at [H]. I wasn't sure if there's been discussion outside of your public thread - have you decided what CPU project you're going to run? I can keep my CPU's on Primegrid after Tour de Primes is over,. but it's a pretty significant amount of CPU' threads so it would be more impactful on a CPU only project.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
MLC is probably a solid choice. They're in position 10 on Formula BOINC on that, and team Ukraine must have cared enough about FB to sign up. We could probably bump them up pretty high fairly easily. I haven't ran MLC is there anything to be aware of such as only working on a specific OS, or any specific settings or anything like that?