Joining Team Ukraine to show support?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
This link will show weekly output from Primegrid for Ukraine - https://stats.free-dc.org/spacehead.php?page=team&proj=pgrid&teamid=343 and this one will show weekly output for MLC for Ukraine - https://stats.free-dc.org/spacehead.php?page=team&proj=mlc&teamid=570

Do we want to do some type of competition? My first thought would be an individual competition to see who can score the most points? Just use those links and stats would be pulled next Sunday. That would be a really easy way to track it.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
This link will show weekly output from Primegrid for Ukraine - https://stats.free-dc.org/spacehead.php?page=team&proj=pgrid&teamid=343 and this one will show weekly output for MLC for Ukraine - https://stats.free-dc.org/spacehead.php?page=team&proj=mlc&teamid=570

Do we want to do some type of competition? My first thought would be an individual competition to see who can score the most points? Just use those links and stats would be pulled next Sunday. That would be a really easy way to track it.
A competition would be cool, though I don’t know how much I can bring on line to actually be competitive.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Have you considered mining for Ukraine instead? IMHO, money may or may not be more useful to their cause than just higher points on a DC project. Just from a practical POV.

Reactions: Ken g6

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
I dunno if doing a event with the war going on is a good thing,
maybe we just keep this personal but who knows, that is just my gut feelin

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
I'm not to sure mining will go over good with my team,
I crunch so this is probably my way of showing support.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
For clarification: There are members in TeAm AnandTech who are much opposed to the cryptotoken industry but aren't making periodic posts about it here.

--------

I'll rearrange stuff tonight if I'm not too tired after work. I plan to use the computers for TeAm AnandTech again (a) as soon as CPDN has Linux work, (b) during the next PG challenge.

During last week I shut off the natural gas powered central heating of my flat for good, and am expensively heating electrically only (with the DC computers, on a fully renewable tariff). A substantial part of Germany's natural gas imports is from Russia.

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
These are only my personal opinions I post here, So I will never tell you not to do anything.

I got this message today from a Ukraine citizen.
Thanks you guys for doing this! We see support from all over the world in all possible ways : military, financial, political, humanitarian, crypto, BOINC etc
It made me feel good, figured i'd share.

I was also asked a question on another forum and I think it relates to Mining or sending Money and is part of this conversation
So i hope it's ok reposting it here.

systemviper said:
Mr X said:
systemviper said:
i don't have money to donate but I do have Computer power, so for get the details.

This show of support should help bring the community together around a young democracy and a people
who are being killed as we speak. I quote my previous update.

just a thought
steve

Hi Steve

I think we're on the same side and doing what we can to support Ukraine.

BUT: There IS another option.

Instead of crunching, just shutdown your "host(s)" for a week, maybe, and work out how much money you have saved on electricity.

Then, donate that money to the RED CROSS here:

regards
Mr X

Hi Mr X, A while ago I chose to support "Humanity" with "Crunching" To support Science.
Not sending money to anyone but using my rigs to show my support where I felt was it could help and it meant something to me,

I do not see the need to change that now for this. I like what a very small part of the community is doing.
It not only shows My support but that of this community, I feel that is a bigger deal.

That same question was asked about every cause and every need, people responded why not use "Money"
I agree that money helps but Money is a big part of the problem to.
So I chose to support Science with "Crunching"
I made that personal choice and and see no reason to change it.
Each of us need to make their own choice.
To me it's a simple one.

Much respect to this community
Steve

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Anyone having any trouble recently on getting MLC WUs? EDIT2, Answered my own question. MLC is running very low on CPU WUs, but does have what appears to be plenty of GPU WUs.

I guess it could be my puters, or maybe the Machine Learning has determined that the WUs being returned by my puters are not to be trusted, (edit1, forgot the HAHA)?

Anyway, I have one box that appears to only get one WU every few minutes or so and it is down to nubbins.

This keeps up and I'll have to add another project to the mix.

Last edited:

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I will probably switch over my Linux machines to Universe@home for Ukraine if I can't get enough MLC tasks. NOSNHOP at XS is already crunching Universe@home for Ukraine and it's a project I like. Also for anybody following that thread at XS, I tend to agree with NOSNHOP's view of the situation in post 38.

From what I can tell Universe@home is based in Poland but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit - I seem to be picking up MLC tasks here and there but sparingly. I think I'm at least moving a 56 thread Xeon over to Universe@home

Last edited:

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
just got home, didn't really think about everlasting uw's
I have no problem switching, I'll see if I can get blue on board

Nice job guys
SV

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
As of this morning most of my machines only had a handful of MLC WU's so I switched them to Universe.

Reactions: SystemVipers

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
Hi Everyone, I'm not being a jerk but I was thinking about something yesterday while searching out a #we support Ukraine banner.
I talked to my son and we were thinking of going to a very busy corner where we always see a lot of MAGA supporters
to show our support publically, in my community, for Ukraine. Still debating doing it.
https://www.amazon.com/Ukraine-Support-Ukraine-Ukrainian-Outdoor/dp/B09TFBCW6B

But how much of a different is carrying a banner on a busy street corner than showing visible support
for Ukraine by gathering DC community support and crunching for the National team of Ukraine?

The reason this is on my mind is I keep getting :
"This does nothing"
"Why not support with Money"
"Why not Mine crypto for them"
so I'm struggling to make the difference between support here in the DC community and support where I live.

This is a personal decision.

Respect
Steve

PS, Did you see this

Archived article: https://web.archive.org/web/20220226051154/https://ria.ru/20220226/rossiya-1775162336.html

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
If you let the page load, it translates itself

Here is a link to the video of I guy i follow for a while now, while I try to see all sides of an issue.
He always seems very prepared and makes you think...

Let's talk about a Russian article from the future....

Beau of the Fifth Column

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I have been waiting like 10 minutes, still Russian. Being deaf, I tried the captions on the video and if I understand correctly, its what many including me have said. They want to expand their empire, like was done in the middle ages. Russia needs to grow up.

EditL 30 minutes and still Russian. I give up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Assimilator1

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I want to join in too, and as it happens I've been running universe since shortly after WCG went down.
So have you guys been switching your current account to Ukraine or creating new ones? (I'm going to look at the Ukraine team list for now).

[edit] For those switching accounts over (it seems that's what you guys have done), perhaps it would be good to have our team acronym in your name so they know where the help has come from? Perhaps TA like I did years ago, unless another one is better known? (What's TAAT stand for? lol).

On a different note, at some point I'm going to give money to a charity that's helping Ukraine, although I don't know which atm.

(And yea I think the Russian government wants to rebuild an empire, or rebuild the USSR rather).

Last edited:

SystemVipers

May 18, 2013
I have been waiting like 10 minutes, still Russian. Being deaf, I tried the captions on the video and if I understand correctly, its what many including me have said. They want to expand their empire, like was done in the middle ages. Russia needs to grow up.

EditL 30 minutes and still Russian. I give up.

Sorry didn't know that, seems this was posted by accident, by Russian state media but then taken down, but not before it could be archived.
I just cut and pasted it into here.
Steve

The offensive of Russia and the new world
View of the center of Kyiv. February 25, 2022 - RIA Novosti, 1920, 02/26/2022
© REUTERS / Valentyn Ogirenko
Read ria.ru in
Petr Akopov

A new world is being born before our eyes. Russia's military operation in Ukraine has ushered in a new era - and in three dimensions at once. And of course, in the fourth, internal Russian. Here begins a new period both in ideology and in the very model of our socio-economic system - but this is worth talking about separately a little later. Russia is restoring its unity - the tragedy of 1991, this terrible catastrophe in our history, its unnatural dislocation, has been overcome. Yes, at a great cost, yes, through the tragic events of a virtual civil war, because now brothers, separated by belonging to the Russian and Ukrainian armies, are still shooting at each other, but there will be no more Ukraine as anti-Russia. Russia is restoring its historical fullness, gathering the Russian world, the Russian people together - in its entirety of Great Russians, Belarusians and Little Russians. If we had abandoned this, if we had allowed the temporary division to take hold for centuries, then we would not only betray the memory of our ancestors, but would also be cursed by our descendants for allowing the disintegration of the Russian land.

Vladimir Putin has assumed, without a drop of exaggeration, a historic responsibility by deciding not to leave the solution of the Ukrainian question to future generations. After all, the need to solve it would always remain the main problem for Russia - for two key reasons. And the issue of national security, that is, the creation of anti-Russia from Ukraine and an outpost for the West to put pressure on us, is only the second most important among them.

The first would always be the complex of a divided people, the complex of national humiliation - when the Russian house first lost part of its foundation (Kiev), and then was forced to come to terms with the existence of two states, not one, but two peoples. That is, either to abandon their history, agreeing with the insane versions that "only Ukraine is the real Russia," or to gnash one's teeth helplessly, remembering the times when "we lost Ukraine." Returning Ukraine, that is, turning it back to Russia, would be more and more difficult with every decade - recoding, de-Russification of Russians and inciting Ukrainian Little Russians against Russians would gain momentum. And in the event of the consolidation of the full geopolitical and military control of the West over Ukraine, its return to Russia would become completely impossible - it would have to fight for it with the Atlantic bloc.

Now this problem is gone - Ukraine has returned to Russia. This does not mean that its statehood will be liquidated, but it will be reorganized, re-established and returned to its natural state of part of the Russian world. Within what boundaries, in what form will the alliance with Russia be consolidated (through the CSTO and the Eurasian Union or the Union State of Russia and Belarus)? This will be decided after the end is put in the history of Ukraine as anti-Russia. In any case, the period of the split of the Russian people is coming to an end. And here begins the second dimension of the coming new era - it concerns Russia's relations with the West. Not even Russia, but the Russian world, that is, three states, Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, acting in geopolitical terms as a single whole. These relations have entered a new stage - the West sees the return of Russia to its historical borders in Europe. And he is loudly indignant at this, although in the depths of his soul he must admit to himself that it could not be otherwise.

Did someone in the old European capitals, in Paris and Berlin, seriously believe that Moscow would give up Kyiv? That the Russians will forever be a divided people? And at the same time when Europe is uniting, when the German and French elites are trying to seize control of European integration from the Anglo-Saxons and assemble a united Europe? Forgetting that the unification of Europe became possible only thanks to the unification of Germany, which took place according to the good Russian (albeit not very smart) will. To swipe after that also on Russian lands is not even the height of ingratitude, but of geopolitical stupidity. The West as a whole, and even more so Europe in particular, did not have the strength to keep Ukraine in its sphere of influence, and even more so to take Ukraine for itself. In order not to understand this, one had to be just geopolitical fools. More precisely, there was only one option: to bet on the further collapse of Russia, that is, the Russian Federation. But the fact that it did not work should have been clear twenty years ago. And already fifteen years ago, after Putin's Munich speech, even the deaf could hear - Russia is returning.

Now the West is trying to punish Russia for the fact that it returned, for not justifying its plans to profit at its expense, for not allowing the expansion of the western space to the east. Seeking to punish us, the West thinks that relations with it are of vital importance to us. But this has not been the case for a long time - the world has changed, and this is well understood not only by Europeans, but also by the Anglo-Saxons who rule the West. No amount of Western pressure on Russia will lead to anything. There will be losses from the sublimation of confrontation on both sides, but Russia is ready for them morally and geopolitically. But for the West itself, an increase in the degree of confrontation incurs huge costs - and the main ones are not at all economic. Europe, as part of the West, wanted autonomy - the German project of European integration does not make strategic sense while maintaining the Anglo-Saxon ideological, military and geopolitical control over the Old World. Yes, and it cannot be successful, because the Anglo-Saxons need a controlled Europe. But Europe needs autonomy for another reason as well — in case the States go into self-isolation (as a result of growing internal conflicts and contradictions) or focus on the Pacific region, where the geopolitical center of gravity is moving.

But the confrontation with Russia, into which the Anglo-Saxons are dragging Europe, deprives the Europeans of even the chances of independence - not to mention the fact that in the same way Europe is trying to impose a break with China. If now the Atlanticists are happy that the "Russian threat" will unite the Western bloc, then in Berlin and Paris they cannot fail to understand that, having lost hope for autonomy, the European project will simply collapse in the medium term. That is why independent-minded Europeans are now completely uninterested in building a new iron curtain on their eastern borders - realizing that it will turn into a corral for Europe. Whose century (more precisely, half a millennium) of global leadership is over in any case - but various options for its future are still possible. Because the construction of a new world order - and this is the third dimension of current events - is accelerating, and its contours are more and more clearly visible through the spreading cover of Anglo-Saxon globalization. A multipolar world has finally become a reality - the operation in Ukraine is not capable of rallying anyone but the West against Russia. Because the rest of the world sees and understands perfectly well - this is a conflict between Russia and the West, this is a response to the geopolitical expansion of the Atlanticists, this is Russia's return of its historical space and its place in the world.

China and India, Latin America and Africa, the Islamic world and Southeast Asia - no one believes that the West leads the world order, much less sets the rules of the game. Russia has not only challenged the West, it has shown that the era of Western global domination can be considered completely and finally over. The new world will be built by all civilizations and centers of power, naturally, together with the West (united or not) - but not on its terms and not according to its rules.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I've joined now, although annoyingly it isn't showing me listed yet (even after a forced refresh), 1 minute should be long enough! :p lol
Btw, this is the 1st time I've 'left' TA in over 22yrs of being with it! ;)

For those switching accounts over (it seems that's what you guys have done), perhaps it would be good to have our team acronym in your name so they know where the help has come from? Perhaps 'TA'? like I did years ago, unless another one is better known? (What's TAAT stand for? lol).

Reactions: SystemVipers

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I've joined now, although annoyingly it isn't showing me listed yet (even after a forced refresh), 1 minute should be long enough! :p lol
Btw, this is the 1st time I've 'left' TA in over 22yrs of being with it! ;)

For those switching accounts over (it seems that's what you guys have done), perhaps it would be good to have our team acronym in your name so they know where the help has come from? Perhaps 'TA'? like I did years ago, unless another one is better known? (What's TAAT stand for? lol).
I only joined in Prime. F@H, Rosetta and WCG are still TAAT (Team AnAnTech the caps, correct me if I am wrong)