John Stossel gets owned..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
While physical assault is uncalled for, I have no sympathy for Stossel. Like usual, he was being a total douche bag in order to elicit the response he wanted (I guess he got more than he bargained for). Had Stossel been more professional (apparently a hard thing to do for him) he would have had a much better interview and still received a response similar to what he wanted.

It would have gone something like this:

Stossel: What do you have to say about allegations that wrestling is a fake sport?
Wrestler: It?s not fake. It?s not. ?. [more meathead type language].

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Stossel got what he deserved for being a jerk. I wish more people would lay the smack down.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: chusteczka
I do not agree with the wrestler's response nor find anything in that video funny. I do think the reporter did not properly use his education to control the wrestler's actions through a respectful and non-confrontational dialog.

He probably shouldn't have agreed to the interview if he wasn't prepared to answer tough (and maybe offensive) questions. That's what reporters do, ask tough questions. Assaulting somebody like this is never OK nor is it funny.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
back then this kinda stuff wasn't something you joked around about. it's not like today where it's highly publicized it's all fake, they were trying to maintain an image. you go pushing guys twice your size around you have to imagine eventually they will push back.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by: ScottyB
While physical assault is uncalled for, I have no sympathy for Stossel. Like usual, he was being a total douche bag in order to elicit the response he wanted (I guess he got more than he bargained for). Had Stossel been more professional (apparently a hard thing to do for him) he would have had a much better interview and still received a response similar to what he wanted.

Stossel: What do you have to say about allegations that wrestling is a fake sport?

Translation: Stossel should be a pussy.

:roll:

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Nebor
Stossel got what he deserved for being a jerk. I wish more people would lay the smack down.

He was a jerk but he didn't hit the guy. Stossel is a man...he backs down to nobody.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: fisher
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: platinumike
@ Amused. Yes the slap would hurt, especially over the ear. I dont care man, my laughter is an involuntary action, I dont undertake all kinds of moralistic views before ensuing laughter. America's funniest home videos is funny to me, but hell almost every one of um is painfull and unpleasant. I personally like John Stossel and find his reports somewhat interesting. For someone with amused in their name, you dont carry the reputation so well.

I don't find the violation of one's rights amusing. Someone being stupid and slipping or tripping is on AFV one thing, but being assaulted for simply doing one's job is another.

Do you laugh at the dash cam videos of cops getting shot or assualted on the job?

wow you lose on the comparisons. a reporter harrassing a guy about his job is not anywhere near the same as a cop chasing a criminal. you're smarter than that.

Both are just doing their job, neither deserve to be assaulted.

Yes, I am smarter... that's why I said it.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

:roll:

And people wonder why road rage and the like happens...

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001

He certainly could have approached the question differently, but that doesn't excuse the wrestler for hitting him. Civilized human beings don't respond to tough questions or even insults with physical violence.

I'm amazed at the responses in this thread. For those who think he "deserved what he got", I wonder if your opinion of the situation would change if it were a different reporter? What if it were Barbara Walters or Dan Rather?

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
You could tell the guy was tweakin on roids. Shoulda left well alone.

If that guy was on roids at the time, he needed to get a fscking refund. Hell, I'm bigger than him.

2006 orange juice > 1986 roids

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski
So much e-violence in this thread. Makes me a little e-scared and a lot e-sad. :(

It makes the baby Jesus e-cry :(

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
@ Amused. Yes the slap would hurt, especially over the ear. I dont care man, my laughter is an involuntary action, I dont undertake all kinds of moralistic views before ensuing laughter. America's funniest home videos is funny to me, but hell almost every one of um is painfull and unpleasant. I personally like John Stossel and find his reports somewhat interesting. For someone with amused in their name, you dont carry the reputation so well.

I don't find the violation of one's rights amusing. Someone being stupid and slipping or tripping is on AFV one thing, but being assaulted for simply doing one's job is another.

Do you laugh at the dash cam videos of cops getting shot or assualted on the job?

wow you lose on the comparisons. a reporter harrassing a guy about his job is not anywhere near the same as a cop chasing a criminal. you're smarter than that.

one is a criminal, being chased by a cop. one is a man doing his job, being harrassed by a reporter TRYING TO STIR UP A REACTION. usually i would say you are smart, but in this case you're showing your ass. a dude at work != a criminal.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: BlancoNino

He was a jerk but he didn't hit the guy. Stossel is a man...he backs down to nobody.

he was running away like a little girl by the end of that interview. not sure how that makes him a man.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
:thumbsdown:
assault and that "americas most funny videos" crap with people getting hurt stopped being funny once you grow up beyond the mental maturity of a retarded 12 year old.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: MrChad

He certainly could have approached the question differently, but that doesn't excuse the wrestler for hitting him. Civilized human beings don't respond to tough questions or even insults with physical violence.

I'm amazed at the responses in this thread. For those who think he "deserved what he got", I wonder if your opinion of the situation would change if it were a different reporter? What if it were Barbara Walters or Dan Rather?

i don't really care what reporter it was. i know nothing about john stossel, but from watching the video the guy was pushing for a reaction and got one. was it right? no, it wasn't right. but what do you really expect? guys were very protective of the business back then. the guy's ex partner just ratted out the whole business, so you go after him next? he's probably already pissed off about the whole situation, so you stick a camera in his face? besides, these guys get legitimately beat up and injured doing their jobs. sure the outcomes are fixed, but it doesn't change the fact they are really taking pretty hard bumps in the ring to entertain people. getting thrown to the ground hurts and certainly isn't fake, no matter how much you train to take the throw.

anyway, rant off. it's amusing to see this compared to cops being shot at by criminals and road rage. you go into someone's office, tell them what they do is "fake" and keep pushing to get a reaction and see what eventually happens.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

one is a criminal, being chased by a cop. one is a man doing his job, being harrassed by a reporter TRYING TO STIR UP A REACTION. usually i would say you are smart, but in this case you're showing your ass. a dude at work != a criminal.

The only ass showing is yours. No one deserves to be assualted for simply asking questions be they a cop, or a reporter.

There is no excuse for aggravated assault.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
I absolutley love John Stossel. He's a consumer advocate but he also likes to expose the scams and cheats in big government which earned a bad reputation among his colleagues.

:werd:
He is pretty cool. He has a new book out too.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
well he does before the lawsuits occur. I could watch this video clp all day, everytime i see it i lol.

lol.

I would not call that aggravated assault btw, but rather simple assault. Definately no felony there imo.

Also I say the lawsuit was justified if he actually was hurt.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Amused - You don't put any blame on Stossel at all? If someone went up to a gang banger and started cracking jokes at him and then got himself beat up, would you defend the victim as well? I mean, they are just words right?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sygyzy
Amused - You don't put any blame on Stossel at all? If someone went up to a gang banger and started cracking jokes at him and then got himself beat up, would you defend the victim as well? I mean, they are just words right?

Gang Banger? Are you drunk?