John McCain why are you doing to me?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: eskimospy
-snip-

What I think has nothing to do with it. Go check out the polls on the issues I mentioned, McCain loses on pretty much every single one of them.

It could be that he loses in these polls precisely because isn't campaigning on his positions and getting his messgae out.

Originally posted by: eskimospy
-snip-
As far as 'character', what I mean by that is personal issues. Is Obama seasoned enough to lead, blah blah, that sort of thing. McCain has certainly attacked him on that, and he will continue to do so. Depending on how well they work, be prepared for lots and lots of those.

Yes, I agree.

And McCain needs to beat that dead horse into pulp if he wants to win.

Fern

It's not that McCain loses on those issues (although he does), it's that those issues lose all on their own. The issues lose (and have lost for quite some time) even outside the context of a presidential race. People overwhelmingly support withdrawal from Iraq, overwhelmingly support universal health care, etc

McCain simply supports those ideas that have poor support. He needed to do so to win the primary, and of course there's always that outside chance with any politician that he actually believes in what he's running on. His problem now is that he's largely stuck with them, and they are political losers.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic
The OP expressed concern over being impacted by Obama's tax plan, which would have hikes only for incomes $250k and above. For the record, that's 250% higher than '6-figures.' On the argument though that 6-figures is not enough to be middle class in NYC, a search for figures showed that Manhattan is the wealthiest county in the US, and also has the wealthiest zip code, 10021. And yet even there, on the Upper East Side in the nation's richest zip code, per capita income averages $90k (household income averages $180k). I chose that single zip code to make a point, as figures for all of Manhattan are greatly skewed by the great wealth disparity in different parts of the city. But certainly 6-figures should be sufficient to be middle class in Manhattan, and the $250k income necessary to be impacted by Obama's tax plan should be more than sufficient.

As for McCain's campaign, he's just a dirty negative politician and always has been. He knows his stances on the issues are for the most part either vague or unpopular, so his agenda is not so much to get you to vote for him as to get you to vote against Obama. For those, like the OP, who are considering doing exactly this on the basis of potential income tax hikes on upper income earners, I'd issue a strong warning that McCain's proposed fiscal policy does not make sense, and the current state of the US budget and debt indicates that the next President will be forced to raise taxes regardless of their campaign promises. So be careful about being caught in yet another "Read my lips."

I live in NYC and the OP is full of shit. Income in NYC ranges from $10K to billions. However, you don't need to make six figures to live comfortably in NYC.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
taken outside the political spectrum, universal healthcare and getting out of the war do sell very well, as do school vouchers as an example of a more republican supported idea.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Well, you also couldn't buy a home in Ohio if you had to work in Seattle; the commute would be absurd. But you could conceivably work in Manhattan and still live in an area of the city where property values aren't so high; Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, all are part of New York City and carry far lower property values than Manhattan. If you choose to live in the wealthiest part of your city, you cannot use that as an excuse to say "Oh, I'm in a lower class now because I spend so much on rent!"

Valid. Especially since you're not suggesting that he go somewhere like Bedford-Stuy (I know, it's getting much better there, but it still has the right image in the minds of most people to convey what I mean).

ZV

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
taken outside the political spectrum, universal healthcare and getting out of the war do sell very well, as do school vouchers as an example of a more republican supported idea.

Certainly McCain doesn't lose on all the issues, but he loses on most of them. There' s a reason why he doesn't mention a lot of different issues and it's not because he's gone senile and forgotten about them. (I hope? haha)