John McCain skips Benghazi briefings to yell at press about Susan Rice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Where's the evidence? If there were ANY credible evidence the Rightwing Zealots would have skewered President Obama's ass weeks ago to get MR. 47% in office.

Because he blamed it on a YouTube video for 2 weeks when it was quite clear much earlier that it was much more than a protest.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Watching McCains deterioration these last few years has been sad. Whether its Alzheimers, or just the deterioration that occurs with age, McCain has just become a joke amongst even Republicans. They trot him out from time to time on "national security" issues because, apparently, you become an expert if you served in the military and spent 5 and half years as a pow.

Its the enormous sacrifice that McCain made and the torture that he underwent that prevents people from critiziing him as much as they could.

I personally feel he should graciously retire so he can be celebrated and thanked for what he has done for America, before the sad final years rewrite the entire history of his life.

Well said. From personal experience it's very sad to see a former high performer overstay way beyond when he should have retired. I imagine McCain is surrounded by syncopants all telling him what a great job he is doing.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
The dems don't care. It's only 4 lives, two of which were ex mil, so the lives of those two are worth even less to your average lib.

Benghazi also points out potential flaws in the current admin and acknowledging that is just not going to happen. The Obama devotees are too engaged in worshiping him to allow anything to hinder that worship.

To the subject at hand, Susan Rice was the designated chump and was told to go out and preach the admin line about that stupisenators not attending the hearings, why should they? The dems run the show in the senate and they'll make sure nothing of any value comes out of the hearings. They'll be a complete waste of time.
Are Republicans prevented from asking any questions at these meetings? That's a cop out. His ass should have gone to the meeting instead of grandstanding.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Another misleading thread title by the OP.

According to OP's link McCain didn't "skip" the meeting he missed it due to a scheduling error. Big difference. He was probably pissed that he missed the meeting and that's why he got agitated when the CNN reporter "gently" questioned him.

jstern01

Mar 25, 2010

According to OP's link McCain didn't "skip" the meeting he missed it due to a scheduling error. Big difference. He was probably pissed that he missed the meeting and that's why he got agitated when the CNN reporter "gently" questioned him.

That's his office CYA for him. This type of briefing was known well in advance, and talked about heavily by senators on the floor and in committees.

McCranky Pants is such a hypocrite. When Condolezza Rice was feeding us bad intel, McCain supported her, because it was the best intel at the time. When Susan Rice was on the talk show circuit, she was very careful to make sure that she was presenting what was known at the time.

Honestly its time for McCain to retire and enjoy his grandkids.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Sounds like a John McCain move. This is the guy who left the campaign trail in 08 to come back to washington to fix the financial meltdown. Only to do absolutely nothing except look inept, out of touch, and clueless.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

SCHEDULING ERROR???

For the most important thing John McCain claims is on his plate?

Who are you kidding!!!

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Yeah, 5 of 8 republicans missed it due to a 'scheduling error'. You republicans are so full of shit.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
There's a reason why the Republicans don't trust the briefings from this administration on this topic and would prefer the ones where they have more control over. This from a SEPT. 22 news story.

............an attack that killed two former Navy SEALs.

The official Senate briefing was less informative.

“It was like pulling teeth to get information yesterday,” Graham said of the meeting with Clinton and other administration officials. “A lot of senators were frustrated. And you pick up major newspapers in the country and you find details not shared with you.”

The Wall Street Journal published a similarly detailed account of the attack.

“We were told nothing. We were told absolutely nothing,” said Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), ranking Republican on the Armed Services Panel.

McCain said the details lawmakers sought were in The Times and The Journal.

“If that isn’t an incredible disrespect to the members of the United States Senate, I don’t know what is,” he said. “It’s an example of the disdain with which this body is held by the administration, including, I’m sorry to say, the secretary of state.”

“She didn’t talk about anything,” McCain said of Clinton in a subsequent interview.

Obama worked his ass off to earn the distrust of Republicans, he bought it and paid for it.
What did Obama know about the deaths in Benghazi? When did he know it? Why did he lie about it?

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...ation-passed-them-over-for-the-new-york-times

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
There's a reason why the Republicans don't trust the briefings from this administration on this topic and would prefer the ones where they have more control over. This from a SEPT. 22 news story.

Obama worked his ass off to earn the distrust of Republicans, he bought it and paid for it.
What did Obama know about the deaths in Benghazi? When did he know it? Why did he lie about it?

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...ation-passed-them-over-for-the-new-york-times

Its called a press conference

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
What a dumb thread. I didn't see you posting about Obama's order to not provide fire support at the time of the attack. I didn't see you making a thread about the dems trying to blame the attack on a youtube video as a lame coverup attempt. But who did or did not attend the aftermath meeting must be really important to liberal shills like yourself, especially when you can twist it into supporting your agenda.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
What a dumb thread. I didn't see you posting about Obama's order to not provide fire support at the time of the attack. I didn't see you making a thread about the dems trying to blame the attack on a youtube video as a lame coverup attempt. But who did or did not attend the aftermath meeting must be really important to liberal shills like yourself, especially when you can twist it into supporting your agenda.

I'm glad you are in the inner workings of the Obama Admin. that you are privy to the decisions and the intelligence they received. This episode is getting ridiculous. It never ceases to amaze me how much Republicans will politicize anything. Where was McCain during the Iraq war when 1000x Americans were killed and many more wounded.

Though, I do assume there is more to this story that we will never be privy. The fact the CIA was involved says it all.

One last question. Does every time something goes wrong mean there was some incompetence or cover up. We are fighting an enemy across the globe. I assume, they will get some victories. Shouldn't we come together do a post analysis and find out how to prevent it the next time?

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Lastly, I think we can all agree the right man won in 2008. McCain seems increasingly unhinged as time goes on.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Proof of Obama ordering not to provide support? Or just more CEC talking points?

I believe early on there was a CIA memo indicating the video caused a spontaneous riot. Even though later that turned out to be wrong.

So willing to engage in partisan speculation instead of waiting for investegation to complete.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
I'm glad you are in the inner workings of the Obama Admin. that you are privy to the decisions and the intelligence they received. This episode is getting ridiculous.
What's ridiculous is your denial of information that is already known to the public.
It never ceases to amaze me how much Republicans will politicize anything. Where was McCain during the Iraq war when 1000x Americans were killed and many more wounded.
Then it must really amaze you that you've managed to bring up Iraq in a thread about Benghazi, tie it to McCain who was not the president at any time, and accuse the repubs of the very same politicizing you just did.

Though, I do assume there is more to this story that we will never be privy. The fact the CIA was involved says it all.
Yeah, I'm sure there's also more to GWB's weapons of mass destruction story, to Eric Holder's Fast and Furious story, to Timmy Geitner's Lehman 2008 story and the CIA's 9/11/2001 story. Feel free to ignore inconvenient facts and scary information until the authorities tell you their version officially.

One last question. Does every time something goes wrong mean there was some incompetence or cover up. We are fighting an enemy across the globe. I assume, they will get some victories. Shouldn't we come together do a post analysis and find out how to prevent it the next time?
Oh, so now it's all about coming together and fighting a common enemy? That's sounds a lot like what Hitlery Clinton would say after she's been caught lying through her teeth about Benghazi.

Here's what you need to know about incompetence and coverups - if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then... you know the rest.

Last edited:

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
What's ridiculous is your denial of information that is already known to the public.

Then it must really amaze you that you've managed to bring up Iraq in a thread about Benghazi, tie it to McCain who was not the president at any time, and accuse the repubs of the very same politicizing you just did.

Yeah, I'm sure there's also more to GWB's weapons of mass destruction story, to Eric Holder's Fast and Furious story, to Timmy Geitner's Lehman 2008 story and the CIA's 9/11/2001 story. Feel free to ignore inconvenient facts and scary information until the authorities tell you their version officially.

Oh, so now it's all about coming together and fighting a common enemy? That's sounds a lot like what Hitlery Clinton would say after she's been caught lying through her teeth about Benghazi.

Here's what you need to know about incompetence and coverups - if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then... you know the rest.

This is a thread about McCain. So McCain's lack of criticism of Bush on Iraq (a war where there were demonstrable lies and cost magnitudes more american lives) or Condelezza Rice during her Sec. of State confirmation hearing adds a certain level of bullshit to his current complaints.

Last edited:

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Watching McCains deterioration these last few years has been sad. Whether its Alzheimers, or just the deterioration that occurs with age, McCain has just become a joke amongst even Republicans. They trot him out from time to time on "national security" issues because, apparently, you become an expert if you served in the military and spent 5 and half years as a pow.

Its the enormous sacrifice that McCain made and the torture that he underwent that prevents people from critiziing him as much as they could.

I personally feel he should graciously retire so he can be celebrated and thanked for what he has done for America, before the sad final years rewrite the entire history of his life.

Agree +1

I was surprised he didn't retire after his bid for President.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Proof of Obama ordering not to provide support? Or just more CEC talking points?

I believe early on there was a CIA memo indicating the video caused a spontaneous riot. Even though later that turned out to be wrong.

So willing to engage in partisan speculation instead of waiting for investegation to complete.

i wan't to know if he ordered anything. he says he told his people to do "whatever it takes" but nothing was done.

also they are NOW saying the CIA knew it was a terriost attack. but err Rice was given a memo saying something different. Why was she?

I don't think it was a plot by the cia or obama . frankly if it was they are fucking dumb since it makes them look worse then if he sent in the marines to go protect them or get them out. so thinking its a plot or something is insane. It just don't make sense.

I do want to know what happened. why was there a breakdown in security that allowed 4 people to die

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

These are hearings designed to bring out the ineptitude in the Obama Adminstration. The main critic misses a critical hearing where the Administration gives a long classified briefing on what happened, instead holding a press conference AT THE SAME TIME where he repeatedly rants, moans and raves about how the Administration is stonewalling him and not disclosing. Then he has a total hissy fit when the reporter brings his blunder to his attention.

Remind me again, whose ineptitude is at issue here? Can you imagine what it would have been like if "hair trigger temper" McCain became President? Seems like the guy is much more concerned with scoring political points here than any objective truth finding mission.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
i wan't to know if he ordered anything. he says he told his people to do "whatever it takes" but nothing was done.

also they are NOW saying the CIA knew it was a terriost attack. but err Rice was given a memo saying something different. Why was she?

I don't think it was a plot by the cia or obama . frankly if it was they are fucking dumb since it makes them look worse then if he sent in the marines to go protect them or get them out. so thinking its a plot or something is insane. It just don't make sense.

I do want to know what happened. why was there a breakdown in security that allowed 4 people to die

Now you get it;) Now you are asking the real questions.

Finally!