John From Cincinatti Cancelled

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jimmyjam

Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: boomerang
That kid that played Shaun had to be somebody's son, grandson, or whatever. The kids' acting was just sad.

The whole show was supposed to be based loosely on Greyson Fletcher's(Shaun Yost) life. His real grandpa was the guy who did the actual surfing in the show for Mitch Yost. His dad apparently had partying problems similar to Butchie's and now he lives with his mom and is a professional surfer and skateboarder.

And yes, his acting sucks.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I liked the first few shows, but it went down hill for me after the that one weird show where they all just ended up at the motel and john brought out the corpse. I liked that episode for its total weirdness, but the following episodes were horrible. The last episode was barely watchable & left me disappointed. I pretty much knew it was going to be cancelled.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
good riddance to that junk...although I though it was funny that all the Deadwood actors resurfaced in the series

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Flight of the Conchords is pretty funny, though. I've watched a few on demand and liked 'em.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
I watched every episode and I still have no idea what its about.

Same here. I don't consider it a waste of time, because I was entertained while I watched it. It does suck that I watched a whole season and couldn't explain the plot to a friend.

This is the first tv series i've watched in-season in about two years. It getting cancelled like this is one of the main reasons that I stopped watching tv except on netflix dvds. If I had waited for the dvd, i would have known that the show got cancelled without answering any questions.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: hdeck
i never really liked it, but felt compelled to watch all the episodes to see if they answered any questions. what a waste of time:(

Yes, TV in general is.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: jimmyjam
That kid that played Shaun had to be somebody's son, grandson, or whatever. The kids' acting was just sad.

The whole show was supposed to be based loosely on Greyson Fletcher's(Shaun Yost) life. His real grandpa was the guy who did the actual surfing in the show for Mitch Yost. His dad apparently had partying problems similar to Butchie's and now he lives with his mom and is a professional surfer and skateboarder.

And yes, his acting sucks.
I see. So he really is a surfer and not an actor. I had already figured out that Keala Kennelly (Kai) was a surfer. Her acting was head and shoulders over Greyson.

Out here in the midwest we're kinda far removed from the surfing scene.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I hope I see more of O'Neil. Where did he go? I haven't seen him in anything after Married With Children. He's like Tim Allen, he's just one of those guys that can naturally pull off that "shit hit the fan" comedy. He's like a role model or a poster boy for Men. Unlike the movies that came from Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson *shutters*. If it wasn't for their acting ring of sub-par actors they wouldn't have a career at all.

O'Neil was the only 'saving grace' in J from C and the grand father wasn't a bad actor either though the only one he interacted with was his bitch wife who everytime I've seen on screen I wanted to jump inside the TV and kick the crap out of her .

"For god sakes women STFU!"

Most of the characters were down right annoying or irritating. From the kid, the wife, the gay guy, and John. It was like nails on a chalk board trying to watch them perform on TV. And I couldn't stand the scripts and dialogue. It seems like one of those high-school plays where the writer tries to be over-creative from his inspiration from being on acid while reading Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet.

As for Flight of the Concords, I honestly don't know what to think of it yet. The show suffers inconsistencies. One show is ridiculously funny, but the next show seems more like a cheesy reality show from MTv. The "Long leggy leggy blonde" song had me rolling with laughter as well as the sceens when John dressed up as David Bowie. Though in-between those few funny parts seems more like a poorly executed Seinfeld knock-off of "our lives suck so much it's funny".

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
They even had Woo from Deadwood in the last episode.:laugh: Now if Al Swearingen was in JFC it would have been a hit:thumbsup:

That guy in the back shirt that was trying to get out being a weed dealer was in Deadwood too but he had a beard and red hair.

Feb 10, 2000
Jeez - who woulda thunk that the audience wouldn't embrace a completely unwatchable piece of crap like this? What a world!

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
So who the hell was John from Cincinatti? Some kind of alien or angel or something? Didn't watch it but I assumed he was some kind of supernatural dude or something like that. Reminded me of Meet Joe Black sorta.
A few episodes in my impression was that he was the second coming of Christ. As the show went on, I became further convinced that was the case. (BTW, I'm not by any means religious)

By the end I was just confused. I wasted a fair amount of time watching the series hoping something was going to come of it.

I agree with the OP about Deadwood. What a great series with a great story to tell and fantastic character development. The only actor I thought wasn't up to the task was Timothy Olyphant, the so-called star of the series.

It was nice seeing so many Deadwood alumni in John though. More and more kept showing up the longer it went on.

I won't miss it one bit.

I liked the show, damn.

I too think he is, was, Christ. He kept talking about "Father", and his initials are J.C. after all. (John from Cincinati)

J.f.C. - jesus f'in christ

i am not sad the show went off the air, a lot of the side characters/ story were too weird to really catch on. i didnt watch them all, but i watched my share of them.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
HBO has been churning up a lot of crap lately...

I couldn't even finish the 1st episode.

I wish they would continue Rome.

Burn notice is watchable.. Fiona is sexy as hell too :D

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: isekii
HBO has been churning up a lot of crap lately...

I couldn't even finish the 1st episode.

I wish they would continue Rome.

Burn notice is watchable.. Fiona is sexy as hell too :D

I agree with Rome.

Rome kind of ended a little too fast. It's almost like they didn't plan for a second season or they had to rush it because HBO wouldn't give them an extra year.

wkabel23

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: sjwaste
Flight of the Conchords is pretty funny, though. I've watched a few on demand and liked 'em.

Yeah, funny stuff.

It is easy to see why some people wouldn't care for the show at all though.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
No wonder it was canceled. I liked the show alot and looked forward to it every week. I was pissed when I read this. I didnt know there were so many people that didnt like it.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: buck
No wonder it was canceled. I liked the show alot and looked forward to it every week. I was pissed when I read this. I didnt know there were so many people that didnt like it.

It had an interesting idea but wrapped it around a bitter shell. Biblical stuff is always interesting to me even though I don't consider myself religious. Actually it works out better that way because everybody religious would say its just rhetoric and hearsay.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Regs

It had an interesting idea but wrapped it around a bitter shell. Biblical stuff is always interesting to me even though I don't consider myself religious. Actually it works out better that way because everybody religious would say its just rhetoric and hearsay.

I made a comment to the SO during the last episode about how confusing it must be if you didnt watch all of them. How could you not like ed oneill though?

Feb 10, 2000

I think you were in the minority on this one. I don't know anyone that was able to hang with it for the entire season. I really gave the show the benefit of the doubt, in spite of hating the premiere, and I felt I was being punished when I watched it every week. I gave up after the first four or so, and when I've tried to tune in again it has been just as oppressively serious and annoying as the earlier shows. Ah well . . .