John From Cincinatti Cancelled

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
I'm still pissed that Milch ended Deadwood early to make this piece of crap

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- The wave has crashed for "John From Cincinnati." A day after its first-season finale, HBO on Monday canceled the dark surfing drama.

"John from Cincinnati," starring Bruce Greenwood as the leader of a surfer family, never caught on.

Labeled by critics as "strange," "weird" and "unlikable," "John" never clicked with viewers despite a strong marketing campaign and such well-known leads as Rebecca De Mornay and Bruce Greenwood.

For the few devoted fans of the show, which David Milch ("Deadwood") created with "surf noir" author Kem Nunn, the mysterious final line in the season finale -- John saying, "Mother of God, Cass-Kai" over a shot of Kai (Keala Kennelly) surfing -- will remain just that, a mystery.

Meanwhile, HBO is yet to decide the fate of its other summer freshman series, the comedy "Flight of the Conchords."

It's been a rough summer for HBO, while basic cable networks have launched a slew of hit new series -- USA Network's "Burn Notice," Lifetime's "Army Wives" and TNT's "Saving Grace," all renewed for a second season.

HBO's upcoming series include the drama "In Treatment," the comedy "12 Miles of Bad Road" and "True Blood," the recently picked-up vampire drama by "Six Feet Under" creator Alan Ba

R Nilla

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2006
I thought it was interesting, although most of the acting was downright awful, but it was still interesting. Probably too much thought involved to understand it and most people don't want to have to bother with that.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Surfing drama? Hahahaha! Why would you think that's gonna be a good series? LOL

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
i never really liked it, but felt compelled to watch all the episodes to see if they answered any questions. what a waste of time:(

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Tried to watch it twice and failed both times to make it through an entire episode.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I gave it the usual 3 episode trial run...and never thought twice about watching a 4th.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
So who the hell was John from Cincinatti? Some kind of alien or angel or something? Didn't watch it but I assumed he was some kind of supernatural dude or something like that. Reminded me of Meet Joe Black sorta.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
So who the hell was John from Cincinatti? Some kind of alien or angel or something? Didn't watch it but I assumed he was some kind of supernatural dude or something like that. Reminded me of Meet Joe Black sorta.

no questions were ever answered, just more questions asked. it was retarded. im pissed i wasted so much time for nothing. i feel cheated.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
A few episodes in my impression was that he was the second coming of Christ. As the show went on, I became further convinced that was the case. (BTW, I'm not by any means religious)

By the end I was just confused. I wasted a fair amount of time watching the series hoping something was going to come of it.

I agree with the OP about Deadwood. What a great series with a great story to tell and fantastic character development. The only actor I thought wasn't up to the task was Timothy Olyphant, the so-called star of the series.

It was nice seeing so many Deadwood alumni in John though. More and more kept showing up the longer it went on.

I won't miss it one bit.

Edit: That kid that played Shaun had to be somebody's son, grandson, or whatever. The kids' acting was just sad.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: boomerang
A few episodes in my impression was that he was the second coming of Christ. As the show went on, I became further convinced that was the case. (BTW, I'm not by any means religious)

By the end I was just confused. I wasted a fair amount of time watching the series hoping something was going to come of it.

I agree with the OP about Deadwood. What a great series with a great story to tell and fantastic character development. The only actor I thought wasn't up to the task was Timothy Olyphant, the so-called star of the series.

It was nice seeing so many Deadwood alumni in John though. More and more kept showing up the longer it went on.

I won't miss it one bit.

I liked the show, damn.

I too think he is, was, Christ. He kept talking about "Father", and his initials are J.C. after all. (John from Cincinati)

Unfortunately they were too cryptic about what some of the info actually meant, or was supposed to mean, a fatal flaw. Same with LOST, they were cryptic, but they gave away enough info to keep it interesting. J from C was like that Sopranos dream episode for three shows, not a good choice on their part.

To quote Al Bundy... "Jesus Christ! Jesus Christ!!!" LOL, he was great in this show.

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
I watched the first three episodes...I just wasn't interested. I like Burn Notice though and I am glad that got picked up on FX.

ognabor

Jun 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Toasthead
I watched the first three episodes...I just wasn't interested. I like Burn Notice though and I am glad that got picked up on FX.

Yar, Burn Notice is great.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well hardly anything happened in any of the episodes and you never really learn anything about John.

I miss Deadwood.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
They even had Woo from Deadwood in the last episode.:laugh: Now if Al Swearingen was in JFC it would have been a hit:thumbsup:

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
good, that started out with so much fucking promise and just got worse and worse every time I saw it.

I haven't even seen the finale since I was out of town but I might not even bother at this point, no reason.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

no questions were ever answered, just more questions asked. it was retarded. im pissed i wasted so much time for nothing. i feel cheated.

QFT. It was too weird but I still watched it for some reason.

I listen to the words of my father.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
This show was kind of hit and miss. I liked the premise, and I liked Butchie and Ed O'Neill, but I absolutely HATED Butchie's mom, she was just on 24/7 bitch mode, no other side to her character. Shaun was just terrible, but the rest was alright. No idea what was going on with the gay guy seeing dead people, or the doctor, or the guy having visions, or the teddy bear with FTW on it.