Joggers nipple

Have you ever had joggers nipple?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
When I first started running. I guess they got use to it. . . have not had since.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Never had it in the nipples, maybe cause I'm asian and have no body hair and it's smooth as heck? I do however get chafing on rare instances on the back of my left underarm/pits.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I've had really bad cases of it, especially here in Florida. I sweat so badly that Body Glide just isn't enough.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I don't know why, but I thought this was hilarious when I read about it when I started running. My wife thinks it's disgusting, both that it can happen and that I find it funny.

Mine got a little raw during a 14k last august while wearing the tech shirt that came free with the race, but they didn't actually bleed through the shirt.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I've had blood trails on my shirt before. And holy balls were showers uncomfortable for a while afterwards.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I used to run quite a bit when I was capable. First started in Florida and much of it in Mississippi/Alabama. Never had this happen or come remotely close...

drteming

May 9, 2005
I've found that a couple of band-aids placed strategically takes care of the problem.

Sep 29, 2004
Yup, but mostly when younger. I always blamed the rough texture of my t shirts.

I havn't had this happen in a long long time thoguh.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Never had it. Buddies I train with have had it, regardless of cotton vs tech shirt. Bodyglide is normally a better solution than bandaids.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
I've found that a couple of band-aids placed strategically takes care of the problem.

Band-aids and/or a slightly snugger shirt. I found I got a lot more nipple pain when I grabbed just a baggy skanky shirt from the closet, than a fitted shirt.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Interesting results.

No joggers nipple for me. I never run.

Koing

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I first got it when I ran a 5Miler in the rain. I never bled though. When I read up on the Wiki link you gave I actually lol'd when I read the 'Red Eleven' in the 'other names' section!

I've gotten it since that first time, but mostly in the Summer / warmer months and most times it is only when I'm doing good distances (over 5.5 miles). Like others, I usually use some cut down band-aids to cover my nipples at first onset or before I do a long run.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Never experienced chaffed nipples myself. My chaffing occurs between my inner thighs and after 30 miles, between the butt cheeks. I counter by keeping some kind of lube in my drop bags to re-apply regularly. I refuse to drop any lube into my ass crack though.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I've gotten a little chaffing a few times, but never close to blood!

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
When running I usually have a really red breast, it looks like a nasty sun burn. Touching it and especially showering hurts. Today I wore a really tight undershirt and there was no redness, no chaffing, everything was fine.

So my advice:
Get clothes that are as tight as possible so nothing rubs against your skin. Goes for the women, too! :D

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Ughh.. While I've had it in the past, I never had it to the point of bleeding, until now. On Thursday morning I did my normal 2 mile run. After work I met up with someone for a 3 mile run. I had packed some running clothes, but grabbed a shirt I don't usually run in (a tech shirt). Unfortunately, I got some bad news right after that 3 mile run and so I decided to do another run to clear my head.

All I can say is that I was so focused on trying to sort out all of the 'stuff' in my head (related to the bad news I got) that I neglected to pay attention to my body. I only turned around because I saw that it was getting dark out. Sure enough, after my run my head was a little better, but my nipples were bleeding. Yes, I had felt discomfort, but I wasn't paying attention and I never thought it was at the point of bleeding. The last run was 6.5 miles, so it was a 11.5 mile day, but the problem was really the last 9.5 in a bad shirt. Yes, being focused on my head instead of my body was a factor, but then again it was the entire purpose of that run.

I put some vaseline and neosporin on and then covered them with band aids. Luckily, by the next morning they were in much better shape. I did my 2 mile morning run and ended up holding my hands over my nipples whenever I felt them being rubbed (I still had the band aids on). All of that must have helped because showering wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was even less painful compared to the past when I had chaffing but no bleeding.

Now that I think about it, I did add another layer (overshirt) for that last 6.5mile leg (it was getting late and cooler out). I always use that 'extra' shirt for my morning runs when it is cold out. Now I'm wondering if it was just the one shirt I don't usually wear or a combo of the 2 shirts... Ehhh... Whatever.... Just realize that good clothing makes all the difference for prevention and quick treatment helps a great deal in recovery.

For anyone who cares, here is the extent that i had:

Lvcoyote

Apr 12, 2003
www.lvcoyote.com
I go through these by the case....LOL

04708CF.jpg

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I've had it a few times. The worst is if you run on a cold rainy day.

Tape and/or band aids are probably a good idea, but make sure you shave your chest first! Otherwise the prevention is almost as bad as the problem.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Nope. I've had it irritated once, but I tend to run shirtless when humid and/or hot. I also got "smart" and went tech shirts for running as soon as I started. BodyGlide, Vaseline, bandaids, etc are all good stopgaps for runners nip if it is a problem for you/others. I also recommend a tighter weaved tech shirt (Nike Pro) if it's a problem with your normal tech shirts. It tends to be smoother on your skin and less friction/rough surface than normal tech shirts.