Joe Arpaio running for Senate in Arizona

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Democrats shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth here.

You would think the GOP would have learned their lesson after losing a senate seat in Alabama to a comically bad candidate.

Some speculation that Arpaio is doing this just to raise cash to pay legal costs. But keeping it up thru the primary will be bad for the GOP.

I'm sure the Dems aren't going to sit on their hands with this gift delivered straight to their door.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Arizona seems like an island of crazy between a couple normal states like Cali and NM. Must be the oppressive heat cooking their brains.

I wouldn't call CA "normal"...not by a long shot. The liberals have turned the place over to the loonies of the far left. (this from someone who lived there for 25 years...and only left 5 years ago...and still likes the place, except for the politics)

Anyway...Sheriff Joe is too fucking old, IMO, but if he was younger...and I was eligible to do so, I think I'd vote for him. (Or at least consider it...I've NEVER voted for ANY candidate with an (R). He's one of the very few who's willing to TRY to do something about the invasion of "crimmigrants."

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Well, they failed to get a pedophile in, maybe a felon can win.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
I wouldn't call CA "normal"...not by a long shot. The liberals have turned the place over to the loonies of the far left. (this from someone who lived there for 25 years...and only left 5 years ago...and still likes the place, except for the politics)

Anyway...Sheriff Joe is too fucking old, IMO, but if he was younger...and I was eligible to do so, I think I'd vote for him. (Or at least consider it...I've NEVER voted for ANY candidate with an (R). He's one of the very few who's willing to TRY to do something about the invasion of "crimmigrants."
You know, those pesky human rights just get in his way.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Will he run as an Independent or as part of the GOP Party of Law and Order (That I Don't Have to Follow Because I'm Above It?)

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Crap always rises to the top in the GOP. The only option is to flush the whole party down.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
:p
Some speculation that Arpaio is doing this just to raise cash to pay legal costs. But keeping it up thru the primary will be bad for the GOP.

I'm sure the Dems aren't going to sit on their hands with this gift delivered straight to their door.

Kelli Ward & Sheriff Joe battle for the nomination.... Maybe she's right about the chemtrails, just not in a way where she really understands...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Is that before or after his criminal conviction?

Well...he WAS given a presidential pardon...so why not? Besides, I have HAD a stack of felony convictions and FBI "rap sheet" that took up about the same amount of room as a NYC phone book...so his conviction didn't really change my perspective of him...because, in part, I supported what he was doing.

You know, those pesky human rights just get in his way.

Meh...human rights...and constitutional rights should not apply to illegal immigrants. If they want "rights," they should have stayed in their own country (ies).
it is NOT the "job" of the USA to be the world's job center...

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Arpaio is extremely unpopular overall in Arizona but last time I checked he was quite popular with the Republican base. If we're lucky we will get another Roy Moore situation here where the Republicans are forced to nominate the worst possible candidate.

It's frankly amazing how the Republican base is seemingly actively trying to throw control of the Senate to the Democrats.

Yup, and consider the fact that Trump won Alabama by 28 points but only won Arizona by 3.5 points. A nutty GOP candidate in AZ has an even better chance of handing the seat over to the dems since it seems to have become only a light red state.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
"Show us your nuts!" & "Show us you're nuts!" are challenges that the delusional GOP base simply can't pass up...

They'll just give us the usual mindless "Fuck You!" & "Delicious libruhl tears!" routine, over & over again.

Dec 10, 2005
Well...he WAS given a presidential pardon...so why not? Besides, I have HAD a stack of felony convictions and FBI "rap sheet" that took up about the same amount of room as a NYC phone book...so his conviction didn't really change my perspective of him...because, in part, I supported what he was doing.

Meh...human rights...and constitutional rights should not apply to illegal immigrants. If they want "rights," they should have stayed in their own country (ies).

That's a pretty disturbing philosophy. Constitutional rights are as much about what you can do as what the government can't do to you. Applying a label to someone suspends their rights? And then not even seeing a need to treat people with humanity? What's wrong with you?

Reactions: BStorm

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

The argument that a law enforcement official should be beyond the law is concerning in many many ways.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017

Wow. So American rights over human rights. How very disgusting of you.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
He's even wrong about that. Arpaio abused everybody, not just illegals.
I'm scared to know how he feels about that. Do you think he'd give Arpaio a pass because well the man's just got the right ideas on how to treat people who don't fall in to line? Fingers crossed Arpaio never takes issue with how boomie exists.

Also, is what makes them all-around criminals just that they're in the country illegally? They must give up their basic human rights because of it?

I am seriously grossed out by @BoomerD 's point of view on this.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

lol. Your brain is bad.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Even if you are not morally disturbed by violating the rights of bad people, the fact is it just doesn't work. It doesn't deter people from committing crime, and it certainly doesn't make people whose rights have been violated want to give up being criminals. If it doesn't work, it's just an excuse to be a sadist.

Reactions: Younigue
Mar 11, 2004
Didn't he ignore raping in his jails too?

I think it was rape and sexual assault in general. Multiple people said they went to his department to report rapes and nothing was actually ever done about them.

During a three-year period ending in 2007, more than 400 sex crimes reported to Arpaio's office were inadequately investigated or not investigated at all. While providing police services for El Mirage, Arizona, the MCSO under Arpaio failed to follow through on at least 32 reported child molestations, even though the suspects were known in all but six cases. Many of the victims were children of illegal immigrants.

So yeah...

Arpaio is extremely unpopular overall in Arizona but last time I checked he was quite popular with the Republican base. If we're lucky we will get another Roy Moore situation here where the Republicans are forced to nominate the worst possible candidate.

It's frankly amazing how the Republican base is seemingly actively trying to throw control of the Senate to the Democrats.

Er, that's a bit of a surprise considering they kept voting him in for what about 25 years? I still don't know how the fuck that happened, its not like they didn't know about the horrible shit he was up to. Guess they didn't care since he was being mean to Mexicans, so he could count on people like Boomer to support him.

Seriously, shouldn't the Republican party be embarrassed at their offerings for public office?

Have you listened to Republican voters?

I think you really need to actually read up on the guy because you seem woefully unaware of who he actually is. Then again, someone using the term "crimmigrant" seems, well, sorry but I'm not buying that you've never voted for any Republican.

Oh, so you're just fucked in the head then. Do you listen to yourself? The Constitution applies to anyone in the US. Regardless of them being US citizens. Saying it shouldn't, well then it wouldn't be illegal for them to commit crimes as US law wouldn't apply to them then, so they couldn't even be criminals then. That's literally the logic you're using. You can't have it both ways without it fundamentally undoing the whole point of the Constitution and laws that you put in place. But hey, they're not real people because they're not US citizens, guess ICE should just save us lots of money and put bullets in their heads. After all it wouldn't be murder, they're not technically people. Fuck their human rights. And hey, if the US goes and destabilizes their country (directly or indirectly), fuck them for trying to get away from it.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Don't wanna get raped in his jail don't commit crimes. He would see it as another deterrent instead of a problem to address.

That was the problem. Arpaio had a pretty lose interpretation of what was a crime. Basically a lot of the folks in his jails committed the crime of being brown.

Besides what a BS statement that you think it is ok for anybody in jail to be raped. Why? Because they deserve it in your warped sense of justice?

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
I think it was rape and sexual assault in general. Multiple people said they went to his department to report rapes and nothing was actually ever done about them.

So yeah...

Er, that's a bit of a surprise considering they kept voting him in for what about 25 years? I still don't know how the fuck that happened, its not like they didn't know about the horrible shit he was up to. Guess they didn't care since he was being mean to Mexicans, so he could count on people like Boomer to support him.

Have you listened to Republican voters?

I think you really need to actually read up on the guy because you seem woefully unaware of who he actually is. Then again, someone using the term "crimmigrant" seems, well, sorry but I'm not buying that you've never voted for any Republican.

Oh, so you're just fucked in the head then. Do you listen to yourself? The Constitution applies to anyone in the US. Regardless of them being US citizens. Saying it shouldn't, well then it wouldn't be illegal for them to commit crimes as US law wouldn't apply to them then, so they couldn't even be criminals then. That's literally the logic you're using. You can't have it both ways without it fundamentally undoing the whole point of the Constitution and laws that you put in place. But hey, they're not real people because they're not US citizens, guess ICE should just save us lots of money and put bullets in their heads. After all it wouldn't be murder, they're not technically people. Fuck their human rights. And hey, if the US goes and destabilizes their country (directly or indirectly), fuck them for trying to get away from it.
Oh no, I've listened to them. I fear Trumpublicans are alist cause. I'm holding out for the previously non-voting population.