Jobless Claims on the Rise

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
CNN Link

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Jobless claims rose in the United States last week, the government said Thursday, coming in higher than Wall Street forecasts.

The Labor Department said 378,000 people filed new claims for unemployment benefits in the week ended Dec. 6, compared with a revised reading of 365,000 in the prior week. Economists, on average, expected 359,000 new claims, according to Briefing.com.

U.S. stock market futures gave up some earlier gains after the report, pointing to a flat start to the major indexes. Treasury bond prices moved lower.

While claims have risen for two straight weeks, they have remained below 400,000 level that most economists consider a sign to be an indicator of an improving labor market.

The four-week moving average of new claims, which irons out the volatility of the weekly data, rose to 364,750 last week from a revised 362,500 in the prior week.

Continued claims, the number of people out of work for a week or more, rose 11,000 to 3.34 million for the week ended Nov. 29, the latest data available, from a revised 3.3 million the prior week.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
This is well covered in the Depression thread as well as others BDawg but it is in your imagination according to the AT Experts. They claim that the Unemployed number is below 3 million, never even hit 3 million and whatever number they believe is going down everyday.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
This is well covered in the Depression thread as well as others BDawg but it is in your imagination according to the AT Experts. They claim that the Unemployed number is below 3 million, never even hit 3 million and whatever number they believe is going down everyday.

Hey, I report, you decide.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Don't believe it.

Stores are popping up everywhere I live. A new Walmart. Two new formal restaurants. A couple fast food restaurants. Even a new car wash is going up.

My one friend who owns a sporting good store is going to be using is tax relief to hire a permanent p/t cashier!!

Jobs seem to be aplenty where I live.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ferocious
Don't believe it.

Stores are popping up everywhere I live. A new Walmart. Two new formal restaurants. A couple fast food restaurants. Even a new car wash is going up.

My one friend who owns a sporting good store is going to be using is tax relief to hire a permanent p/t cashier!!

Yea and their Wages went UP too.
rolleye.gif

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Don't believe it.

rolleye.gif

sometimes ya gotta swallow your pride and get a job, no matter the pay and no matter where the location.

what exactly are you expecting anyway? all the good IT/CS jobs are being outsourced by american companies to india where they can get cheap labor and highly intelligent workers. if anything you should be complaining to the corporations and not the government.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Genesys
Don't believe it.

rolleye.gif

sometimes ya gotta swallow your pride and get a job, no matter the pay and no matter where the location.

what exactly are you expecting anyway? all the good IT/CS jobs are being outsourced by american companies to india where they can get cheap labor and highly intelligent workers. if anything you should be complaining to the corporations and not the government.

"all the good IT/CS jobs are being outsourced by american companies to india".

No they're not. According to the AT Experts in here only LOW paying jobs are being sent over to India, haven't you been reading their posts?

"sometimes ya gotta swallow your pride and get a job, no matter the pay and no matter where the location".

Are you suggesting the Pay is low or something? According to the AT Experts, those are the best jobs ever and the wages are going UP from those jobs. Just look at Wal-Mart doing all that advertising to work there, the greatest jobs since sliced bread.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Genesys
Don't believe it.

rolleye.gif

"all the good IT/CS jobs are being outsourced by american companies to india".

No they're not. According to the AT Experts in here only LOW paying jobs are being sent over to India, haven't you been reading their posts?

"sometimes ya gotta swallow your pride and get a job, no matter the pay and no matter where the location".

Are you suggesting the Pay is low or something? According to the AT Experts, those are the best jobs ever and the wages are going UP from those jobs. Just look at Wal-Mart doing all that advertising to work there, the greatest jobs since sliced bread.

no, i tend to not read the 'jobless recovery' threads because i know what is happening out there in job market land.

however, retail job wages are going up. a friend of mine makes over $10/hr working @ Home Depot. another friend makes $8/hr working at wal mart. and they are the greates thing since sliced bread because there isnt a whole lot of cerebral activity involved in doing these jobs :p perhaps they're jobs that a few of us in here should try to get...

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
They claim that the Unemployed number is below 3 million, never even hit 3 million and whatever number they believe is going down everyday.
I don't know of anyone who has said that. Are you making up libellous claims again?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: rjain
They claim that the Unemployed number is below 3 million, never even hit 3 million and whatever number they believe is going down everyday.
I don't know of anyone who has said that. Are you making up libellous claims again?

Better ask CAD that not me:

"And the 3M jobs thing...well it might have been true a while back but to say the current numbers are 3M would be a falsehood. CkG"

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
If you add them up you would have ONE "living wage" . . . and no benefits.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
If you add them up you would have ONE "living wage" . . . and no benefits.

And who do you think is managing that wal-mart? Who manages each department, is the head of security? The manages the restaurants?

Or are you suggesting that every high-school grad (or dropout) deserves a living wage and benefits? Because that is who those folks working at the "living wage". When is the last time you ran into someone with an ECON degree at the wal-mart checkout?

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003

"And the 3M jobs thing...well it might have been true a while back but to say the current numbers are 3M would be a falsehood. CkG"

And he's right. Figure out what he was talking about, and then realize that apples aren't oranges.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Maybe it's the elitist in me . . . but I couldn't care less where people with ECON degrees work. I am suggesting that a progressive society would create opportunities for all instead of welfare for the wealthy, welfare for the poor, and fare thee well for everybody esle.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Maybe it's the elitist in me . . . but I couldn't care less where people with ECON degrees work. I am suggesting that a progressive society would create opportunities for all instead of welfare for the wealthy, welfare for the poor, and fare thee well for everybody esle.

Go to europe. They have progressive societies there.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Hey Dave - has it ever occurred to you to use quotes IN CONTEXT!? That statement was about Jobs lost under Bush. Nice try though.

CkG

edit - thanks rjain:)

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
CAD, why don't you bring up a libel suit on Dave. That'll shut him up the next time he wants to spread lies about people who disagree with him. :)

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Go to europe. They have progressive societies there.
Actually I'm more of an Asia fan.

Where in Asia do you find progressive societies? Could you give some examples of where they have "opportunities for all" moreso than the US?

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Well Thailand pretty much has free healthcare. Despite it's handicaps, they try quite hard to provide quality education to all children . . . which is damn hard if you've ever tried to learn Thai. Women are generally extended comparable educational and vocational opportunities to men. In fact, if you aren't careful . . . you might find men encroaching upon some of the women's vocational opportunities. ;)

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Well Thailand pretty much has free healthcare. Despite it's handicaps, they try quite hard to provide quality education to all children . . . which is damn hard if you've ever tried to learn Thai. Women are generally extended comparable educational and vocational opportunities to men. In fact, if you aren't careful . . . you might find men encroaching upon some of the women's vocational opportunities. ;)

But isn't there a lot more poor people in Thailand than there are in the US? Or at least proportionally, because Thailand is smaller than the US?

edit: also, with regard to equality with men and women. I'm sure there are some countries in europe that appear to be more equal, but I think the US is better than a lot of other countries when it comes to equality I think.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Hey Dave - has it ever occurred to you to use quotes IN CONTEXT!? That statement was about Jobs lost under Bush. Nice try though.

CkG

CAD, here's a quote by Dave. You may want to show it to him if he is truly misrepresenting what you've said.

dmcowen674 - <<Your posts make no sense and completely twist what people including me have said in black and white.
That is what they call trolling on here. You cross over the line of free speech when you wrongly quote another person. That becomes liable and defamatory. I suggest you read correctly before spewing garbage.>>

PS - it's from the God thread.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Gaard
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

CkG

CAD, here's a quote by Dave. You may want to show it to him if he is truly misrepresenting what you've said.

dmcowen674 - <<Your posts make no sense and completely twist what people including me have said in black and white.
That is what they call trolling on here. You cross over the line of free speech when you wrongly quote another person. That becomes liable and defamatory. I suggest you read correctly before spewing garbage.>>

PS - it's from the God thread.

Thanks, but I think by now Dave understands his error which he has posted in 2 threads. I don't wish to keep piling it on when it isn't neccessary. Gang tackling about an error happens alot around here but in this case I don't see the point of doing so. Dave is just trying too hard to cling to his idea that the Economy is in bad shape and getting worse by the day.

BTW - as of this post the DJIA is back over 10K.:)

CkG

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BDawg
CNN Link

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Jobless claims rose in the United States last week, the government said Thursday, coming in higher than Wall Street forecasts.

The Labor Department said 378,000 people filed new claims for unemployment benefits in the week ended Dec. 6, compared with a revised reading of 365,000 in the prior week. Economists, on average, expected 359,000 new claims, according to Briefing.com.

U.S. stock market futures gave up some earlier gains after the report, pointing to a flat start to the major indexes. Treasury bond prices moved lower.

While claims have risen for two straight weeks, they have remained below 400,000 level that most economists consider a sign to be an indicator of an improving labor market.

The four-week moving average of new claims, which irons out the volatility of the weekly data, rose to 364,750 last week from a revised 362,500 in the prior week.

Continued claims, the number of people out of work for a week or more, rose 11,000 to 3.34 million for the week ended Nov. 29, the latest data available, from a revised 3.3 million the prior week.

Disappointing numbers, but the numbers below 400k still indicate an expanding job market.