Jobless Claims fell Sharply Last Week

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet
Hey Dubya Lovers.. Doesn't this happen evey year AT THIS TIME... DUH!!!

Why is this even news??

This is the same as

"Temperatures fell Sharply in December"

HEY STUPID THE NUMBERS ARE SEASONALLY ADJUSTED. GET A FRIGGIN CLUE.

GROW UP SUPER NOISY!! ARE YOU PROUD OF YOUR PERSONAL ATTACKS??

They're a lot more than just "seasonally" adjusted.

What should the numbers be?

The numbers should be a lot more Good jobs being created than being LOST.

And that is happening dave.

Please post links to these Magical Job creations......Pin Drop

or how bout all the jobs that wages are going up? .......... Pin Drop

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yeh, well, the devil is in the details-

Wage Rates

And I strongly suspect that benefits suffer an even more drastic reduction....

Figure in some of the other facets of the new economy, like more part-time instead of full-time jobs, and this isn't a stunning increase of fortune for working people, not at all.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhhnn

Wage Rates

Figure in some of the other facets of the new economy, like more part-time instead of full-time jobs, and this isn't a stunning increase of fortune for working people, not at all.

Lots of interesting reading on that site. Thank you.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Wage Rates

Thats a nice comparison and all but the representation of the data isn't all inclusive. Back in 1998-2000 the tech industry was booming and the wages were higher for the "growing" sector. However since the bubble burst and people pulled their heads out(well some are still stuck there) that industry has shed jobs. It's all warm and fuzzy to think that we should and can alway replace lower paying jobs with higher paying ones but at isn't always going to be the case. However - average wages are still going up and the manufacturing sector is set to stop shedding jobs and hopefully start adding them back.
I find it funny(well actually sickening) that people here and elsewhere are trying so hard to stay blind to the fact that we are on the right path and things are getting better. Are there things to be done yet? sure, but to ignore the progress that's been made since the recession is choosing to be blind.

We now return you to "The Depression Years" already in progress
rolleye.gif

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Wage Rates

Thats a nice comparison and all but the representation of the data isn't all inclusive. Back in 1998-2000 the tech industry was booming and the wages were higher for the "growing" sector. However since the bubble burst and people pulled their heads out(well some are still stuck there) that industry has shed jobs. It's all warm and fuzzy to think that we should and can alway replace lower paying jobs with higher paying ones but at isn't always going to be the case. However - average wages are still going up and the manufacturing sector is set to stop shedding jobs and hopefully start adding them back.
I find it funny(well actually sickening) that people here and elsewhere are trying so hard to stay blind to the fact that we are on the right path and things are getting better. Are there things to be done yet? sure, but to ignore the progress that's been made since the recession is choosing to be blind.

We now return you to "The Depression Years" already in progress
rolleye.gif

CkG

I'm sure everyone would agree (including me) and would like to put a dot on the end of the "Depression years" from 2001-2004 , still needs more proof that the dot can in fact go there. There is still a lot more job loss postings and articles than there is of job creation especially of the kind that some people claim is a penny higher of average wage increase.

It sure is absolutely bogus to say the Era ended in November 2001, that's pure crap.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
I'm sure everyone would agree (including me) and would like to put a dot on the end of the "Depression years" from 2001-2004 , still needs more proof that the dot can in fact go there. There is still a lot more job loss postings and articles than there is of job creation especially of the kind that some people claim is a penny higher of average wage increase.

It sure is absolutely bogus to say the Era ended in November 2001, that's pure crap.

Umm - hello? There wasn't a DEPRESSION - it was a recession that was actually quite mild according to REAL experts. Now again, since you didn't seem to catch this, people don't hire in the same fashion they fire/layoff - THAT is why you don't see it in the news.

CkG

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Is everything a partisan battleground for you guys? Geeze, give it a rest.
Economics (generally) aren't partisan to me :) But their analysis may be....I just like to make fun of chicken little.

Here I'll post what I posted in the uber-thread also...

current period versus last period order...

Consumer Confidence Nov.* 91.7 81.7
Retail sales Nov.* 0.9% 0.0%
GDP Q3* 8.2% 3.3%
ISM Index Nov.* 62.8 57.0
Factory Orders Sept.* 0.5% -0.3%
Unemployment Rate Nov. 5.9% 6.0%
Employment situation Nov.* 57,000 137,000
Consumer inflation Nov. 1.1% 1.3%
Housing starts Nov.* 2,070,000 1,980,000
Home sales Oct.* 7,455,000 7,825,000

Scary stuff huh? We're heading off a cliff aaaaaaah!

source
Bolded the dramatic ones. All but 2 are positive changes.

That's all well and good but how bout our dollar?

it still spends and buys you your McDonalds and Playstation. Its the most accepted currency around the world. its going through a rough spot, the all mighty dollar will be back on top before long.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: alchemize

Truth is a low dollar is going to add jobs. Is that a bad thing to you?

You say that as if it is fact, but it's only an opinion- a forecast. As you mentioned, our treasuries are at risk. As the dollar gets weaker foreign countries which have US dollars & treasuries in reserve may sell them off and switch to Euro. Also, if oil producing countries start pricing their il to the Euro it will also be catastrophic. This is also an opinion.

One of the reasons we attacked Iraq is because Saddam converted to the Euro.. we needed to convert it back.... (lets see what that claim gets me :p

Sure, that's another good motive isn't it? There's no reason that should be disregarded... in a typical investigation Police will consider all suspects and motives

because the police use a tool called logic and dont fall for silly conspiracy theories.