Jobless Claims Fall to Nearly 3-Year Low

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
What is important is the per capita earnings of the new filers versus the per capita earnings of the new jobs. If the new filer use to earn $50,000 and the new job pays $20,000 we have a problem, Washington! Not only has the tax base eroded but the economic purchasing power has decreased significantly. This won't show up in the economy right away but, it will. Of course the actual figures are not fully known but, we can assume from the recent reports of who eleminated what jobs and how many new Walmarts etc. stores opened what the likely figures ought to be.
More liberal "crocodile tears" trying put a damper on the fantastic Bush Economy. Next thing you know somebody will claim budget deficits and the unfunded liabilities in Medicare and Social Security are problems.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
What is important is the per capita earnings of the new filers versus the per capita earnings of the new jobs. If the new filer use to earn $50,000 and the new job pays $20,000 we have a problem, Washington! Not only has the tax base eroded but the economic purchasing power has decreased significantly. This won't show up in the economy right away but, it will. Of course the actual figures are not fully known but, we can assume from the recent reports of who eleminated what jobs and how many new Walmarts etc. stores opened what the likely figures ought to be.
More liberal "crocodile tears" trying put a damper on the fantastic Bush Economy. Next thing you know somebody will claim budget deficits and the unfunded liabilities in Medicare and Social Security are problems.

Hehehehe,
I have designed for my mental stability :)D)a 'window of relevant potential' crafted into three vistas. The primary is the near term out from today for one year. The second is from today out for two years and the last goes out from today for five years. Beyond that most if not all economic issues are irrelevant. I have crafted this attitude because neither the government nor the academic economists seem to care about anything beyond the next cycle of behavior or election cycle. And, no one else cares to consider the current activity on the future when they vote or exersize their proxy. The powers entrenched have us so near sighted and confused that we can't see out there any how and if we do peek it is with myopia. So, the unfunded mandates are for all practical purposes non factors. When we get there we'll only deal with the next year or so anyway. Charge it off to the accumulated debt which by then will be a mere 50 trillion but, it will be OK cuz it is only 4 times GDP. Heck, by then we'll have changed to negative population growth and the average life expectancy - on average - will be around 65.
I wonder if the MD's will seek DVM licenses cuz that's where the big bucks will be...

edit... there are two ' on averages ' cuz some will live to 125 but the working class will live to maybe 45.. so who cares about it anyhow.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc

"the fantastic Bush Economy".

Now it's Fantastic and all thanks to Bush? Such a Colossal farse that History writers will have a field day with writing about.

Edit: I forgot to add BBD in with CAD & Co, it's CAD & BDD just like Rush & Hannity.

The new Math 20K - 50K = Fantastic , I'll go change my Depression thread now.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Dave - I think you need to re-read BBD's post with your sarcasm detector on. Just a suggestion.

josphII

Banned
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: leeboy
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
New applications for state jobless benefits hit the lowest level in nearly three years last week, the government said on Wednesday, boosting hopes that employment is finally beginning to show sustained growth.

Nah - it came from the gov't. These numbers are BS.

rolleye.gif

Or maybe these are the same numbers we've used for years and they've always been somewhat general.;)

CkG

Why it has to be pointed out to you everytime you post this GOP propaganda that these numbers mean little to the people who have fallen off unemployment is un CAD'y :)

Again and as always, it is not surprising to anyone with conceptual reality skills that when all the people who CAN be laid off, have ALREADY been laid off, and have fallen off unemployment whom are no longer even looking for work, that the first time umemployment claims will OBVIOUSLY be lower and lower until these people can get back to work, get laid off again and contribute to this MEANINGLESS first time job claim number.

But hey, spin away.

only a democrat can say something as stupid as the above - lower unemployment is bad news!

you know leeboy, as much as you are rooting for millions and millions to be unemployed and get laid off, thats just not gonna happen. unlike the bubble economy during the clinton years, things appear to be quite steady, stable, and strong. and you should be happy about this, not bitter.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
you know leeboy, as much as you are rooting for millions and millions to be unemployed and get laid off, thats just not gonna happen. unlike the bubble economy during the clinton years, things appear to be quite steady, stable, and strong. and you should be happy about this, not bitter.

Not just false attribution, but a double dose of it. leeboy obviously isn't rooting for anybody to get laid off, so we'll set aside that part as a blatant ad hom, one of the distasteful facets of the with us or against us mentality. As for the steady and stable, sure, unemployment has begun to level off, but that doesn't necessarily mean strong, other than in terms of corporate profits, which have been good all along... As we've seen in other threads, many unemployed went back to work at much lower wages and benefits, even part time, just to make ends meet, and that personal bankruptcies are extremely high as a consequence. From the gross numbers perspective, it's not getting worse, anyway, but the devil is in the details, as usual...

Within the realm of republican-speak, losing your fulltime $17/hr factory job with paid healthcare and benefits, drawing unemployment for 6 months, and finally going to work part time at walmart for $8.50/hr after declaring bankruptcy is a victory of sorts... hey, it's a job, right? and that's what matters when you're looking at the big picture.... Put One in the Win Column! Another Job Created!

It's the economic equivalent of Arizona Oceanfront, darned if it isn't selling well, too...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Jhhnn

Not just false attribution, but a double dose of it. leeboy obviously isn't rooting for anybody to get laid off, so we'll set aside that part as a blatant ad hom, one of the distasteful facets of the with us or against us mentality. As for the steady and stable, sure, unemployment has begun to level off, but that doesn't necessarily mean strong, other than in terms of corporate profits, which have been good all along... As we've seen in other threads, many unemployed went back to work at much lower wages and benefits, even part time, just to make ends meet, and that personal bankruptcies are extremely high as a consequence. From the gross numbers perspective, it's not getting worse, anyway, but the devil is in the details, as usual...

Within the realm of republican-speak, losing your fulltime $17/hr factory job with paid healthcare and benefits, drawing unemployment for 6 months, and finally going to work part time at walmart for $8.50/hr after declaring bankruptcy is a victory of sorts... hey, it's a job, right? and that's what matters when you're looking at the big picture.... Put One in the Win Column! Another Job Created!

It's the economic equivalent of Arizona Oceanfront, darned if it isn't selling well, too...

Isn't great? The best Boom America has ever seen with it's greatest President ever. It's incredible how much higher can we go from here with already the best it's ever been?

leeboy

Banned
Dec 8, 2003
Originally posted by: josphII
New applications for state jobless benefits hit the lowest level in nearly three years last week, the government said on Wednesday, boosting hopes that employment is finally beginning to show sustained growth.

rolleye.gif

Or maybe these are the same numbers we've used for years and they've always been somewhat general.;)

CkG

Why it has to be pointed out to you everytime you post this GOP propaganda that these numbers mean little to the people who have fallen off unemployment is un CAD'y :)

Again and as always, it is not surprising to anyone with conceptual reality skills that when all the people who CAN be laid off, have ALREADY been laid off, and have fallen off unemployment whom are no longer even looking for work, that the first time umemployment claims will OBVIOUSLY be lower and lower until these people can get back to work, get laid off again and contribute to this MEANINGLESS first time job claim number.

But hey, spin away.

only a democrat can say something as stupid as the above - lower unemployment is bad news!

Only someone who is a blind GOP sheep would keep insisting like you do that lower numbers in FIRST TIME UNEMPLOYMENT are a cause for celebration, these drop in first time claims DO NOT MEAN UNEMPLOYMENT IS LOWER. Get that through your thick skull already. Your argument is mute. So mute it.

You are equally assine in your assertion that I am rooting for millions to be unemployed. News flash, THERE ARE already MILLIONS of Americans unemployed. MILLIONS of them have long since fallen off of standard and extended benefits and have NOT yet gotten back to work. These people are ALREADY unemployed and no longer counted in any figures. So NO, I am not going to stand up and clap like you and those like you do when we hear that FIRST TIME unemployment claims are down. Again, all that means is that for NOW, things have leveled out and those who have not already lost their jobs over the past 3 years were safe last week. Where is the job creation? That number would indicate that some wham have fallen off the radar and whom are no longer recieving so much as a dime in benefits have gone back to work. This is NOT happening man. When it does, I will give credit where credit is due. But to kiss the a$$ of an adminstration who has seen this many jobs lost seems rather futile. But then again, I don't look through rose colored glasses either.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
josephII - <<only a democrat can say something as stupid as the above>>

rolleye.gif

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
how many of you actually have a degree in economics?

<<crickets>>

those are some dam smart crickets

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Gaard
josephII - <<only a democrat can say something as stupid as the above>>

rolleye.gif

Only a stupid democrat ;)

I have a degree in Finance. Not the same as econ, but close.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: josphII

rolleye.gif

CkG

But hey, spin away.

Only someone who is a blind GOP sheep would keep insisting like you do that lower numbers in FIRST TIME UNEMPLOYMENT are a cause for celebration, these drop in first time claims DO NOT MEAN UNEMPLOYMENT IS LOWER. Get that through your thick skull already. Your argument is mute. So mute it.

You are equally assine in your assertion that I am rooting for millions to be unemployed. News flash, THERE ARE already MILLIONS of Americans unemployed. MILLIONS of them have long since fallen off of standard and extended benefits and have NOT yet gotten back to work. These people are ALREADY unemployed and no longer counted in any figures. So NO, I am not going to stand up and clap like you and those like you do when we hear that FIRST TIME unemployment claims are down. Again, all that means is that for NOW, things have leveled out and those who have not already lost their jobs over the past 3 years were safe last week. Where is the job creation? That number would indicate that some wham have fallen off the radar and whom are no longer recieving so much as a dime in benefits have gone back to work. This is NOT happening man. When it does, I will give credit where credit is due. But to kiss the a$$ of an adminstration who has seen this many jobs lost seems rather futile. But then again, I don't look through rose colored glasses either.

You're not going to stand up and clap, why not, that doesn't sound very grateful to the best President of all time and the Best Economy ever and in the last 20 years with more jobs been created than lost in this presidency and more jobs being created everyday and at higher wages. Wake up, wake up, you must be in some sort of bad dream man. The Economy is Bush's Fantastic Economy", the AT experts like CAD, and Rush have said so, so it must be. Come on, there isn't any millions of Americans out of work.

Edit: Took out Dirtboy from the CAD & Co group, apparently DB doesn't agree the Economy is doing well. This was News to me based on his posts. Everybody has the right to waffle.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Anyone with Debt best be paying it off now. A crunch is coming, be prepared.

I was shocked listening to CNBC last night. They were discussing Auto sales and brought up Financing and the fact that 8 year vehicle financing was the fastest growing segment of the industry. 8 frickin years! Not 10 years ago 5 year vehicle financing was considered taboo(though common), it was thought to be a sign of Consumer over-debt. From the government on down to the Working class, everyone is living on borrowed money and borrowed time.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: sandorski

I was shocked listening to CNBC last night. They were discussing Auto sales and brought up Financing and the fact that 8 year vehicle financing was the fastest growing segment of the industry. 8 frickin years! Not 10 years ago 5 year vehicle financing was considered taboo(though common), it was thought to be a sign of Consumer over-debt. From the government on down to the Working class, everyone is living on borrowed money and borrowed time.

Oh come on, you have nothing to be shocked or worried about. The Rich Boys, Politicals, Corp Execs, CAD, DB & the rest of the AT experts would never let anything happen to everyone like that. It's the New Booming and Soaring Economy of America, the highest Wages ever will take care of those long car loans. Don't pay any attention to the reports of Bankruptcies the highest ever, they all deserved it as they were trying to live beyond the New American dream, that two heads of household can't even keep up, what was wrong with them.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

There is an interesting situation here, I think. It used to be a finance company wouldn't finance a car beyond its usefull life nor with out considering its resale value. It was three years in '72 when I bought my first new car and financed it over two years. Has the car become so far advanced that on average it will last the life of the financing contract? Or is this another means of the intertwined network of banks and manufactures lading us with debt in an effort to move product? I think they have to find more ways to induce folks to buy cars in a less than healthy economy. The risk they take is what I find interesting. They can't exist with out taking the risk and they bare it all, it seems to me, given the rates do not reflect this risk and the auto price does not seem to contain a risk factor either.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
how many of you actually have a degree in economics?

<<crickets>>

those are some dam smart crickets

I do!

But I don't really need that right now..

My dad lost his job under Clinton and got a job under Bush.

Good enough for me!

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001

10 years ago the interest rates my parents were paying for cars were super high, so of course you wanted to pay it off as soon as you could.

When I bought my car the interest rate on it was something like 4%. Why the hell not pay for it over a long period of time?

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Escalade with dubs over 96mo means payments under $500 (including rebates). Better yet . . . SUV loophole means small business (from farmers to lawyers) can buy that H1 or Escalade EXT to haul around the bullsh.

My dad lost his job under Clinton and got a job under Bush.
Good enough for me!
Millions of jobs created under Clinton and millions of job losses under Bush.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: LordJezo

10 years ago the interest rates my parents were paying for cars were super high, so of course you wanted to pay it off as soon as you could.

When I bought my car the interest rate on it was something like 4%. Why the hell not pay for it over a long period of time?

If you are not a high milage driver, that might work out.

Good rule of thumb, have it paid off before you 100k miles, otherwise you will be paying the bank and the mechanic.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: charrison

Good rule of thumb, have it paid off before you 100k miles, otherwise you will be paying the bank and the mechanic.

Hmmm, almost sounds like you are not too thrilled at this new American dream way of owning a car. :confused:

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Hmmm, almost sounds like you are not too thrilled at this new American dream way of owning a car. :confused:

Nothing to be confused about. If you are not a high milage driver, you can afford to finance longer since the rates are low.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Nothing to be confused about. If you are not a high milage driver, you can afford to finance longer since the rates are low.

Oh OK, for a second thought you were waffling and didn't like the new Voo Doo Economics of America.