Jobless Claims Fall to Nearly 3-Year Low

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Zebo
Originally posted by: dirtboy
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
of course this is good news....for everyone but a liberal...
Ya because we all know liberals hate for people to be gainfully employed. That's way they dispise unions, minimum wage, and building an economic enviroment which has given them unemployment numbers that put any republican administration to shame.

Do you even believe the sh1t you type? Or is this the ticker Rush is running at the bottom of his web page this moning?
Funny how when positive economic news comes out and other positive news is pressed, the liberals are the first to say it is meaningless and falcified information.

Of course we believe it, because people like you and your commander MCOWEN support it.
No one said any such thing you just don't like questions raised.
No one has said it, but dave constantly only beleives the reports of bad. He overlooks every good report of good news. Dirtboy is not wrong on this one.
Please note that Dirtboy changed the subject. Heartsurgeon made another of his typical sweeping slurs against "liberals". Zebo called him on it. Dirtboy changed the subject, then makes his own sweeping slur against "liberals".

Heartsurgeon's statement was BS and Zebo was right to point it out. You would (and do) do the same if I announced that all conservatives are hateful liars, for example.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Ya because we all know liberals hate for people to be gainfully employed. That's way they dispise unions, minimum wage, and building an economic enviroment which has given them unemployment numbers that put any republican administration to shame.

Do you even believe the sh1t you type? Or is this the ticker Rush is running at the bottom of his web page this moning?
Funny how when positive economic news comes out and other positive news is pressed, the liberals are the first to say it is meaningless and falcified information.

Of course we believe it, because people like you and your commander MCOWEN support it.
You said such things; try reading your own posts for a change.
I will not, in this country, we work on a system where it's the accusers burden to show proof of an allegation made. I know , I know, the Patriot act has changed this for terror subjects.. but since I'm not one, yet, Kindly, show me where I said "positive economic news comes out and other positive news ....it is meaningless and falcified information."

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

No one has said it, but dave constantly only beleives the reports of bad. He overlooks every good report of good news. Dirtboy is not wrong on this one.
Please note that Dirtboy changed the subject. Heartsurgeon made another of his typical sweeping slurs against "liberals". Zebo called him on it. Dirtboy changed the subject, then makes his own sweeping slur against "liberals".

Heartsurgeon's statement was BS and Zebo was right to point it out. You would (and do) do the same if I announced that all conservatives are hateful liars, for example.
Well he may be over generalizing, but for the most part only liberals that are screaming that the current economic data is false and everything is bad.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Well he may be over generalizing, but for the most part only liberals that are screaming that the current economic data is false and everything is bad.
I agree that people who criticize current economic data are more likely to be from the left, though there are certainly conservatives who are critical as well. That is not at all the same as saying all liberals are critical. More specifically, it does not support Heartsurgeon's slur that all liberals find this news to be bad news.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

I did not change the subject and I wasn't overgeneralizing. I can't believe, or maybe I can, that Zebo can't read his own posts. Did he ask the question, "Do you even believe the sh1t you type?" or did he not?

I answered it and then he flips out.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

I agree that people who criticize current economic data are more likely to be from the left, though there are certainly conservatives who are critical as well. That is not at all the same as saying all liberals are critical. More specifically, it does not support Heartsurgeon's slur that all liberals find this news to be bad news.
When every democratic presidential candidate is running with the "bad economy" as campaign plank, it is certainly not good news.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I did not change the subject and I wasn't overgeneralizing. I can't believe, or maybe I can, that Zebo can't read his own posts. Did he ask the question, "Do you even believe the sh1t you type?" or did he not?

I answered it and then he flips out.
After re-reading your response, I concede that you did answer Zebo's question in your second paragraph: "Of course we believe it, because people like you and your commander MCOWEN support it." I do not find it a truthful response, but it was a response.

Before answering the question, however, you threw in your own sweeping slur: "Funny how when positive economic news comes out and other positive news is pressed, the liberals are the first to say it is meaningless and falcified information." While I'm sure this is true for some liberals, it quite obviously is not true for all liberals.

When I read your post, I took your second paragraph as an extension of the first. My apologies. Had you swapped the two paragraphs, you could have responded to Zebo's question and then changed the subject.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Well of course all liberals don't believe that. Some liberals aren't brainwashed ;) Just like all conservatives don't agree with all of Bush's policies.

There certainly are some liberals *cough*dave*cough would don't want to believe good news in whatever form and try to discredit it, but then reverse course on the same number when they show bad news. Personally, if I was on "your side", I'd be telling Dave to STFU a little more often ;) I, like others, enjoy engaging in debate, but not with tin-foil morons. I don't think we have a "Dave equivalent" on "our side" right now.

Heartsurgeon is pretty gruff and direct (along with others), but plenty of that on "your side" as well.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
When every democratic presidential candidate is running with the "bad economy" as campaign plank, it is certainly not good news.
I disagree. This is the same kind of reasoning that led some right-wing hate-mongers to claim that liberals wanted us to fail in Iraq, were happy when U.S. soldiers died, or even the slightly less outrageous claim that war opponents supported Hussein. As much as I do not want to see Bush win in 2004, I am objective enough to recognize that signs of economic recovery are good news for America.

If the economy is booming in November, 2004, and American attention spans are too short to remember all the bad things Bush & Co. did to America, then I guess we'll get the government we deserve. Democracy is a two-edged sword.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I disagree. This is the same kind of reasoning that led some right-wing hate-mongers to claim that liberals wanted us to fail in Iraq, were happy when U.S. soldiers died, or even the slightly less outrageous claim that war opponents supported Hussein. As much as I do not want to see Bush win in 2004, I am objective enough to recognize that signs of economic recovery are good news for America.

If the economy is booming in November, 2004, and American attention spans are too short to remember all the bad things Bush & Co. did to America, then I guess we'll get the government we deserve. Democracy is a two-edged sword.
So the 9 democratic candidates are not running onhow they will improve the bad economy as a campaign plank?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize
Heartsurgeon is pretty gruff and direct (along with others), but plenty of that on "your side" as well.
I agree. Believe it or not, I have been known to maybe slip a hair over the top at times, or maybe even lose my temper -- a little. Only a little, and only on extraordinarily rare occasions, of course, but it has happened. It's true.

I'm sure the same is true of Dave, of you, of almost everyone here to some extent. My point is simply that Heartsurgeon's comment was BS; Zebo was right to call him on it. When someone on "my side" acts the same way, I am 100% confident someone on "your side" will return the favor.

:)

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

So the 9 democratic candidates are not running onhow they will improve the bad economy as a campaign plank?
Sure. But as good Americans, I know each and every one of them puts the good of the country above personal interests, just like Bush and all of our politicians.

:D

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Sure. But as good Americans, I know each and every one of them puts the good of the country above personal interests, just like Bush and all of our politicians.

:D
I am sure they do, but they also know an improving economy hurts their chances. One only has to look at past elections to see that.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Dirtboy? Are you going to show me where I said good ecomomic news was "meaningless and falcified information." or should I just chaulk this up to a lie?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize
I agree. Believe it or not, I have been known to maybe slip a hair over the top at times, or maybe even lose my temper -- a little. Only a little, and only on extraordinarily rare occasions, of course, but it has happened. It's true.

I'm sure the same is true of Dave, of you, of almost everyone here to some extent. My point is simply that Heartsurgeon's comment was BS; Zebo was right to call him on it. When someone on "my side" acts the same way, I am 100% confident someone on "your side" will return the favor.

:)
NEVER! Well, there was this one post where somebody corrected a rare minor typo, and I flew off the handle. Other than that... ;)

God I want to give everyone a hug now. GROUP HUG.

PS: HeartSurgeon busted another liberal comment in the nuke thread. Made me LOL.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

I know what daves like. Some I'm sure is a reflection of enviroment he lives, the enviroment in general, some is he has a inquisative mind and wants to get to the bottom of the bad news. He is a computer scientist after all.

Economics is'nt really a science though so it's an impossiblity, I'm afaid, to have certainty beyond the a mirco scale.

But I also know in general the right hates questions and inquistion which is why I've never meet a limbaugh scientist.:) And any questioning of thier leader policy is looked as ad hom.

All I know is we need demand to boom. w/o lots of jobs and people working you can't have that demand. How you get there is?
How will we know when we are there if all good news is out right rejected. The good news that dave is out right rejecting is coming from economist(including goverment sources). These same sources, dave takes for gospel when the news is bad.

This is not how the mind of a scientist works.
Funny, the Rhetoric Spinners ignoring the writings and posting of their own almighty Economists.

The Government "sources" continue to come out with revisions on top of revisions clearly showing they are pure "bunk" or as CAD calls them "Somewhat General" numbers, hysterical. :disgust:

Edit: Bush gets kicked out in 11 months, I'll wear that Commander Uniform, he stays in and I will continue to debunk bunk.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

I know what daves like. Some I'm sure is a reflection of enviroment he lives, the enviroment in general, some is he has a inquisative mind and wants to get to the bottom of the bad news. He is a computer scientist after all.

Economics is'nt really a science though so it's an impossiblity, I'm afaid, to have certainty beyond the a mirco scale.

But I also know in general the right hates questions and inquistion which is why I've never meet a limbaugh scientist.:) And any questioning of thier leader policy is looked as ad hom.

All I know is we need demand to boom. w/o lots of jobs and people working you can't have that demand. How you get there is?
How will we know when we are there if all good news is out right rejected. The good news that dave is out right rejecting is coming from economist(including goverment sources). These same sources, dave takes for gospel when the news is bad.

Funny, the Rhetoric Spinners ignoring the writings and posting of their own almighty Economists.

The Government "sources" continue to come out with revisions on top of revisions clearly showing they are pure "bunk" or as CAD calls them "Somewhat General" numbers, hysterical. :disgust:

Edit: Bush gets kicked out in 11 months, I'll wear that Commander Uniform, he stays in and I will continue to debunk bunk.
but when they revise them in a negative manner, all the sudden they are good numbers for you.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

but when they revise them in a negative manner, all the sudden they are good numbers for you.
Only good to debunk the garbage spilled you, CAD & Co, Rush, Hannity and the rest, not good and sad for all those affected by this "swept under the rug" travesty in the name of American Politics. It's Disgusting, sickening and UN-American.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Only good to debunk the garbage spilled you, CAD & Co, Rush, Hannity and the rest, not good and sad for all those affected by this "swept under the rug" travesty in the name of American Politics. It's Disgusting, sickening and UN-American.
the only problem is that the numbers come from the same source. When the numbers are good they are liies, when they are bad they are fact.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

the only problem is that the numbers come from the same source. When the numbers are good they are liies, when they are bad they are fact.
(Gentlemen: I trimmed your quotes for you. Please resume from here. Thank you. ;) }

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

(Gentlemen: I trimmed your quotes for you. Please resume from here. Thank you. ;) }
TY Bow,

If the numbers were good none of us would be in here arguing about them now would we? We wouldn't give a crap about them.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
CAD's thread is good news on the surface. I have no reason to doubt its accuracy since they have access to the state newly filed claims numbers.. no need to survey or use anything but the facts...
BUT!
What is important is the per capita earnings of the new filers versus the per capita earnings of the new jobs. If the new filer use to earn $50,000 and the new job pays $20,000 we have a problem, Washington! Not only has the tax base eroded but the economic purchasing power has decreased significantly. This won't show up in the economy right away but, it will. Of course the actual figures are not fully known but, we can assume from the recent reports of who eleminated what jobs and how many new Walmarts etc. stores opened what the likely figures ought to be.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

TY Bow,

If the numbers were good none of us would be in here arguing about them now would we? We wouldn't give a crap about them.

It would not matter, you would not beleive them anyway.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

TY Bow,

It would not matter, you would not beleive them anyway.
That's just wrong, don't put yourself in the same boat as DB.

I would like nothing more than to kill the Title of the Depression thread and the need for the Jobs thread but the Country and
more importantly the people are "Hurting". These are our OWN people that are HURTING, not
whiny rich boys that have shipped the jobs overseas to pocket more money and say they are hurting.

Not Politicians that don't have a clue and too busy playing War games so their Daddy could say "Good job my Boy", and AT "experts" that aren't
affected because they still have their jobs and are fat and happy. It's time for somebody to step up and to coin a phrase from the
Depression Era of a "Chicken in every Pot", "A job for every American". That's not Un-American, That's not Globalization, that's taking care
of your own and keeping your own Country STRONG. I don't trust the rich boys to keep us strong and neither should you or anyone.

ASK THE COMMUNITY