Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3744 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
How the heck did he get out of that alive?

(And don't parachutists usually have reserve chutes?)

With difficulty.

Chopper or someone on the top, throwing him lines and a knife to cut free. I hope they billed him. Tax payers need to stop paying for when things go pear shaped for thrill seekers.

Yes on reserve chutes, but the altitude/time needed for them to deploy is definitely on the necessary side. Looks like he's about 1000ft short.

Last edited:
Reactions: [DHT]Osiris and pmv

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
aHmGU22.jpeg

Despite current events, I'd probably go Red pill.

The most valuable thing any of us have is time.
Probably over thinking it, but I would have said red pill ten years ago. Now? With my wife and kids, blue pill, I wouldn't want to risk not having them. That said, if my knowledge is more generic and doesn't include all memories, it's a different metaphysical type question.

Reactions: Captante

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
But does it imply that? i.e. a youth potion returning you to the age of 6 in the present time with everything else still as it is? I took it as meaning 'travel back in time to find yourself inhabiting your 6 year-old self, and get to relive those intervening years, fore-armed with the knowledge you have now'.

doesn't that make it worse? You then get to re-witness the inevitable slow-march towards self destruction, completely aware that the very same batch of dickheads are going to drag the world towards increasing stupidity, with vastly more appreciation of it happening at the time, which is also the curse that you know you can do nothing about it.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
which is also the curse that you know you can do nothing about it.
That's not a curse. It's called "growth". You've learned to flex and avoid, cause you know none of it matters, and you can't do a thing about it. You move so far into the back country of Maine they have to pipe in sunlight, and you think happy thoughts totally unaware of the idiots that are hundreds-thousands of miles away.

• Haha
Reactions: kage69

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
doesn't that make it worse? You then get to re-witness the inevitable slow-march towards self destruction, completely aware that the very same batch of dickheads are going to drag the world towards increasing stupidity, with vastly more appreciation of it happening at the time, which is also the curse that you know you can do nothing about it.

It's all deeply peculiar to imagine. Not just the wider political aspects, but the personal as well. Knowing what secrets are destined to come out and what horrible disillusionments are in store for all those around you. Eek.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'd go with blue sorry.... being a kid would be seriously depressing ALREADY KNOWING what BS all that crap the adults feed you is!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That's not a curse. It's called "growth". You've learned to flex and avoid, cause you know none of it matters, and you can't do a thing about it. You move so far into the back country of Maine they have to pipe in sunlight, and you think happy thoughts totally unaware of the idiots that are hundreds-thousands of miles away.

We already have that guy that posts here. I don't want to be that guy.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
We already have that guy that posts here. I don't want to be that guy.
That's on you. You have the tools to ensure happiness, and it's up to you to use them or not. Nobody around here's changing shit. They can gather, and argue over it like a turdball game, but nobody changes their mind, policy is exactly the same, and all that's been accomplished is the world's a tiny bit shittier than it was 10 minutes ago. The only variable is whether or not the individual decides to participate. Not too many choices in life are binary. This shit's easy ;^)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That's on you. You have the tools to ensure happiness, and it's up to you to use them or not. Nobody around here's changing shit. They can gather, and argue over it like a turdball game, but nobody changes their mind, policy is exactly the same, and all that's been accomplished is the world's a tiny bit shittier than it was 10 minutes ago. The only variable is whether or not the individual decides to participate. Not too many choices in life are binary. This shit's easy ;^)

as to the bolded, that is certainly untrue. It is the obstinance of those that actually can't change their minds, and those that believe this is somehow a fundamental condition of humanity that is one of the roots of the problem. Running away from humanity is no solution--though I understand that it can be comforting and pleasant for many, which is of course totally fine.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
aHmGU22.jpeg

Despite current events, I'd probably go Red pill.

The most valuable thing any of us have is time.
It's conflicting decision for me, because I have a "intangibles matter" side. On the other hand, if I get 10 million now, well, I can do quite a bit with that money for matters right now.

There would have been many things that would have been done different if I knew everything I know now.

One, would be to tell my mom that just getting grandma's guardianship back was not enough. A Fair housing Complaint and other discrimination complaints(that might have been lost anyway some issues are worth even a lost lawsuit).

I would have also told my piano teacher about my thoughts tying Mozart and Mariah Carey together....she died just this April...

I probably would have approached schooling differently. No regrets about my economics degree because it's useful in a noneconomic manner. But given my hatred to doing the "tango of intangibles" when it comes to building a resume...I probably might have skipped college and got some A.A as an Xray tech because I like mundane, repetitious work that doesn't involve soft, difficult to prove skills. Having to get cozy with professors for letters of recommendation would have been something natural to my extraverted mom, not me.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
as to the bolded, that is certainly untrue. It is the obstinance of those that actually can't change their minds, and those that believe this is somehow a fundamental condition of humanity that is one of the roots of the problem. Running away from humanity is no solution--though I understand that it can be comforting and pleasant for many, which is of course totally fine.
Humans can change their minds, but are generally inflexible the more they value a belief.

Thus, I've always considered humans semi-pliable.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This you?
cVAOtxK.jpeg