Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3738 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
4AuxeYc.jpeg

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005

The main reason was because they were non-native species in those mountains (Olympics)... but if youve ever hiked in the mountains before you know they're addicted to salt. It's a bit uncomfortable when they come up to when you're taking a leak. Sometimes it seems like they want to drink it before you're done.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I almost feel bad about the goose I sent into the lake, almost. The airport did what they could to keep them off the grass at the lake end, but they persisted. I was on approach to grapple a banner and something spooked them up. I took evasive action but my 5 pound grapple hook was swinging below the plane like a medieval mace, and beaned one. The ground crew said it went into the lake like a "lawn dart". The ground crew was old enough to remember lawn darts, and they hated the goose poop.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
When I was a kid geese were just making a comeback after being protected in the early 50's and it was exciting to catch a glimpse of a migrating flock.

Now however for multiple reasons (but mainly very few predators) the population of Canada-geese has exploded and they're a major nuisance in many places.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Whatever happened to human predators? Do geese taste bad?

Migratory Bird Treaty Act (Audubon.org)

Federal Regulations: What You Need to Know About Getting Rid of Canadian Geese (Avian Enterprises)

Federal-Regulations-for-Geese.jpg

From the 2ed above-linked article/advertisement:

What the Bird Act of 1918 Means for You:

"The Act worked so well that several generations of Canadian Geese later have adapted to the American climates and urban expansions. Now the U.S. has an excess of resident birds that eat 2-3 pounds of grass a day and leave behind about 1-2 pounds of potentially toxic droppings in the same amount of time."

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
When big guys bring it. Reminds me of a kid I played hockey with for a time, he was "drought and flood resistant" too. Luckily he was a really nice guy, because playing D if he checked you he'd go through you like a door.

Reactions: GunGuy