Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3718 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
yeah but french isn't simple...it's uh, the classic all time definition of complicated shit, lol. (western/"new world" standard, anyway--as still the basis of about 100 individual world cuisines today, wouldn't you say?; probably doesn't stand today as most complicated, of course, but that's the first thing you think about french...fucking complicated).

....but anyway, Italian is the simple, champion of the world kitchens, I would say...but not really artistic in comparison. It's just about living well. :D

Or is that the point? Asian is finally bringing the artistic, to the actual simple...but no less delicious or valid? etc. (Granted, many of those cuisines have long, old, French roots as well, haha)
That's a bit of a misconception- most French food IS simple. Beef bourguignon, crepes, coq au vin, fondues, rarebits, tatins, au gratins...these are all made with simple ingredients and can be whipped up pretty quickly without any special training. The rustic nature of the foods tends to make them photogenic as well.

The video above similarly shows simple foods being cooked to perfection and combined in creative ways, retaining that rustic feel but with fresh presentation. That's what the French used to be famous for (and they priced themselves out of the market doing so).

Korean cuisine is sweeping the planet right now- Anthony Bourdain predicted it would because it was undiscovered and underutilized. That was 10 years ago, and here we are today...

Reactions: KMFJD

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
cmfT4fv.jpeg

Jul 27, 2020
Just heard the following jokes on Youtube. Guess whose.

Joke 1:

I have a kid in Africa. I feed him. I clothe him. I inoculate him.
For 75 cents a day.
That's nothing.
Nothing compared to what it took to send him there.

Joke 2:

For some reason, my wife gets really mad at me. I just keep quiet and listen most of the time. But sometimes, even though I should know better, I tell her things I shouldn't. Like last night, we got hammered. Got drunk out of our minds. So we wake up in the morning with a huge hangover and I know I shouldn't tell her anything but I say to her, "Ummm..I'm sorry but I think I slept with your mom last night". She goes nuts, "What the hell are yout talking about??? That's impossible!". So I think about it for a minute and I understand what happened so I tell her, "You know, you should wear make-up ALL the time".

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
PSA: how to survive a kangaroo attack

Guy I used to dive with was from Oz. He told me best way to handle them is to catch one of their feet and just starting dragging them backwards. When they drop, put the boots to 'em. Make them understand human = assbeating

He had a scar on his leg from a kangaroo so I assumed he knew what he was talking about, though maybe that explains the kicking part. He's just bitter.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: blackangst1

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Korean cuisine is sweeping the planet right now- Anthony Bourdain predicted it would because it was undiscovered and underutilized. That was 10 years ago, and here we are today...

I recall Ruth Reichl saying this well before that; though her argument at that time was general perplexity that it wasn't already long popular in the US, because it focuses on the things that Americans already love.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
There's an insane amount of Korean restaurants in the Philippines, the fried chicken is the best i've ever tried, nothing has come close.

Reactions: zinfamous