Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2768 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
yrmYfZ1.jpg

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I find it hilarious that every week there is another post in our neighborhood of people leaving their keys in the mailbox.

One reason I'm glad I still have a car that requires a key in the ignition instead of the push start shit.

View attachment 19338
Why would it matter if your car is keyless or not if you leave your keys in the mailbox?

Nov 8, 2012
Push to start still requires the keyfob on you...

Why would it matter if your car is keyless or not if you leave your keys in the mailbox?

Right, so my understanding is that these folks pulled up to the mailbox with their car (on the way back from work coming to their house for example)... they take their keys out (since they have the mailkey on it)... They then grab the mail bot leave the key because their engine is still running.

Key fob or not - if the engine is already running then it doesn't stop even if you leave the keys (only the start of the engine), no? Or am I mistaken there?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
^ true, but my car and a couple others I know will beep and msg the remote is no longer detected.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Right, so my understanding is that these folks pulled up to the mailbox with their car (on the way back from work coming to their house for example)... they take their keys out (since they have the mailkey on it)... They then grab the mail bot leave the key because their engine is still running.

Key fob or not - if the engine is already running then it doesn't stop even if you leave the keys (only the start of the engine), no? Or am I mistaken there?
Ah OK I was thinking of someone walking to their mailbox, but yeah my car beeps like crazy if you take the keys aren't in anymore when it's running. I think if you try to drive without the keys still in it it cuts the engine too but I haven't tried that.