Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2731 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
JO11jzB.png

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Did the driver walk away from that unscathed? Surely can't have been too bad or the footage wouldn't be out there?

In fairness, it looks like it went brilliantly right up to the point of hitting the ground on the other side. They just need to finesse that part.
it's just like any other short wheel base vehicle, consider the Jeep on ice :)
It is just as happy going sideways on ice as it is forwards, there's no aerodynamic penalty:D

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Do the process in NC, and then we'll see if you have changed your opinion. :p
Several years ago I had to take the wife to an appointment, but we had about 9 inches of snow that morning, so no one was out. Driving by NC DMV I noted they were open, but parking lot empty. I needed to renew, so I pulled in. 4 examiners sitting at their desk, and not another soul in the place.

I was told I had to "take a number" and wait, and they made me wait about 5 minutes.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Did the driver walk away from that unscathed? Surely can't have been too bad or the footage wouldn't be out there?

In fairness, it looks like it went brilliantly right up to the point of hitting the ground on the other side. They just need to finesse that part.

Yes he did, walked away on his own power and only thing cited is getting an MRI as a precautionary followup. Otherwise only stated he was injured a little, and I'd take that to mean most likely just some likely deep bruising, maybe some cuts.

Modern engineering and protective harnesses make walking away fairly routine sometimes. Most things just depends on angle or what happens next - rolling only looks violent but is much better for the human body -- and the roll cage designs are good at that -- than sudden stop type crash (Earnhardt, et cetera)

Reactions: pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Several years ago I had to take the wife to an appointment, but we had about 9 inches of snow that morning, so no one was out. Driving by NC DMV I noted they were open, but parking lot empty. I needed to renew, so I pulled in. 4 examiners sitting at their desk, and not another soul in the place.

I was told I had to "take a number" and wait, and they made me wait about 5 minutes.

When I go to one of those places that have you take a numbered ticket, I take about 10 consecutive tickets, and then offer the surplus 9 to much later arrivals for a small fee.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005

In fairness, every time a jump of any sort goes wrong it's the hitting the ground part where you see the consequences.

Nov 8, 2012
...I'm not sure what the issue is? Seems no different than pre-internet classifieds when trying to find a babysitter, no? Or are parents "required" (social stigma?) to use licensed services these days?

You don't think those lists of demands and the pay itself aren't completely ridiculous?

Requirements:
Take care of children (babysit, childcare, etc) for 11.5 hours PER work day. Must work weekends on top of it without notice. lol. PLUS travel time to/from their residence.
Must submit a background check (but the person won't pay for it themselves) lol.
Must Provide Food for THEIR kids? Is this person nuts? And it has to be vegan organic only? Yeap, this person is nuts.

Top it off: WEEKLY Pay of $100/week that will go to $150/week after 6 months? lol You're talking about $5,200/year pay for what is essentially 60 hours minimum of work.

That's just batshit crazy. But whatever, maybe that's totally acceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avalon

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
...I'm not sure what the issue is? Seems no different than pre-internet classifieds when trying to find a babysitter, no? Or are parents "required" (social stigma?) to use licensed services these days?
I don't recall baby sitters working almost 12 hour days, taking care of two kids, for $100 week.

If the indentured servant babysitter is "lucky" enough to make it to 6 months, they go up to a whole $150.