Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2640 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
As an astrophysics nerd, I have to point things out for accuracy as this photo represents one of mankind's most amazing achievements :)

The black hole itself does not emit light as the escape velocity of the singularity in the center of the hole is greater than the speed of light. However, matter swirling around the event horizon (the point of no return around the hole) is being whipped around at relativistic speeds. Particles crash into each other, creating very powerful x-rays, gamma rays, radio signals, and visible/non-visible light. By photographing this area of space over and over, we can collect a composite picture from any captured photons and eventually put together an outline of the actual black hole.

Black holes went through a process to prove they exist:
- A thought experiment in the 1700's
- A mathematical curiosity in the 1800's
- A mathematical model in the early 1900's
- A theory in in the 1940s
- A discovered candidate in the early 1970s
- Actual photographic evidence in 2019

You're looking at an object that actually breaks the rules of the universe. Amazing to think about.

It's still so nuts to think about the fact that the actual "black hole" supposedly wouldn't even have measurable dimensions. A nearly infinite volume in an infinitesimal point, or in other words a whole epic amount of matter crammed into something that, no matter what resolution, magnification, or other technowizardry, would still be smaller than a single digital pixel at any scale.

That black donut hole is also exaggerated a bit by the physical properties of light and gravity. That's called the shadow. The diameter of the actual event horizon (the point of no return) I believe is roughly 2/3 the size of the shadow, or thereabout. Saw some good science discussions describing just exactly what we are looking at and what it tells us. I've always been fascinated with astrophysics and astronomy.

Reactions: Fritzo

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
PebJkdU.jpg

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
man, if that were a real baby in there, it would be so dead. look at that thing bounce. It'd be like taking a ride in the back of a Baltimore police wagon.

--too soon?

I'm just curious how much hatred he got from the 'omg think of the children!' people out there who can't think beyond their eyes.

Reactions: Zanovar

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
man, if that were a real baby in there, it would be so dead. look at that thing bounce. It'd be like taking a ride in the back of a Baltimore police wagon.

--too soon?
Naw, we all know babies are innocent and wouldn't end up in the wagon to start with.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Ravens, crows, maggies, all those corvids... some damn smart birds. Love the Predator soundtrack here.

This has been around for quite a while but it's really well done. The guy has a knack for movie scoring (I guess there's a science behind it).