Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2630 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
9zo4msoacts21.jpg

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

I give props to people that can get photos like this...I've tried but the long exposure required always results in streaky images due to the Earth's rotation. Those sub-24mm f/1.8 wide angle lenses are hella expensive to do it right. Can't fork out $1500 for one, so I just enjoy everyone else's work :D

Reactions: KMFJD

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I give props to people that can get photos like this...I've tried but the long exposure required always results in streaky images due to the Earth's rotation. Those sub-24mm f/1.8 wide angle lenses are hella expensive to do it right. Can't fork out $1500 for one, so I just enjoy everyone else's work :D
Earth is flat! You can't fool me!

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

That's definitely a composite/stacked photo, not a single frame.

I haven't mastered it myself either, but the main trick is to take multiple exposures of shorter time-lengths, then stack, blend, adjust exposure, etc. As you stated, after a certain amount of time you get noticeable star trails which can look great if that's the goal, but generally people are looking for the hyper-detailed galaxy image which you are not going to get with long exposures. I think it's gotta be under 10 seconds to keep stars sharp. I don't get out to areas with low light pollution much at all so I haven't had much experience with this tactic in the end.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
My father in law taught himself to do this taking astronomy pics. He has some amazing nebula and galaxy photos.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001

This image is not just a single capture. It might also be heavily stacked and/or post processed.

Generally, once can safely expose with wide angle up to 30 seconds. Star trails will show when longer.
It is not that hard to get into this.

Once you get serious, a designated tracking system is a must. Read on it, it will not be that hard after a few tries.

Mar 11, 2004
Has to be in Canada ... ?

Canadian police in shorts?

This image is not just a single capture. It might also be heavily stacked and/or post processed.

Generally, once can safely expose with wide angle up to 30 seconds. Star trails will show when longer.
It is not that hard to get into this.

Once you get serious, a designated tracking system is a must. Read on it, it will not be that hard after a few tries.

I was gonna say, I think that's a composite of two different images (what appears to be the sun setting in the lower part).

Everytime I saw the U.S. Capitol Building under renovation a few years back, all I could think is "I'm not sure anyone would mind if it collapsed, with most of the politicians still inside").