Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2631 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
zkz2pjgmr1t21.png

It probably should be nervous - the Palace of Westminister is in a truly terrible state, falling apart. There are leaking pipes of steam hot enough to scald someone to death. Bits of it are as old as Notre Dame. (It's basically a physical metaphor for what goes on inside it, but that's another sub-forum)

Reactions: KMFJD

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

Makes you wonder: would it be physically impossible to navigate out of the interior without GPS? I guess perhaps a star chart would be the winner, especially with a flat and featureless interior, but I gotta imagine that would still be difficult.

I guess you could just start walking and never deviate from a straight line - but that is actually easier said than done. Unless there were enough topographic features to utilize dead reckoning, it's an odd little fact that a human will rarely ever successfully walk a truly straight line - we tend to end up favoring one side or the other in our gait pattern and drift left or right over even relatively short distances.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Makes you wonder: would it be physically impossible to navigate out of the interior without GPS? I guess perhaps a star chart would be the winner, especially with a flat and featureless interior, but I gotta imagine that would still be difficult.

I guess you could just start walking and never deviate from a straight line - but that is actually easier said than done. Unless there were enough topographic features to utilize dead reckoning, it's an odd little fact that a human will rarely ever successfully walk a truly straight line - we tend to end up favoring one side or the other in our gait pattern and drift left or right over even relatively short distances.
Since you'll be doing this in the summer, just follow the sun in relation to your watch. Whatever timezone you want to be in, make that your noon sun and start hiking.

Reactions: ctbaars

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Since you'll be doing this in the summer, just follow the sun in relation to your watch. Whatever timezone you want to be in, make that your noon sun and start hiking.

I mean, that's when you'd *want* to be trying to tackle Antarctica, but I didn't know that was a given. That's your best shot at it of course, if only for the weather and visibility factors.

Needs "The Other South" and "The Other Other South".

??
Wherever you start on the continent, heading South will take you to the pole.

Now if you want only one North and multiple Souths on an image, you'd need to show the North Pole. And that may be navigating on ice or open water.

Then again - if we're talking magnetic compasses, this wouldn't be accurate because it's not presently located on the continent of Antarctica, it's actually over water. Is that what you're getting at? All ways are truly north from the geographic South pole, but a compass wouldn't reliably produce that result from either pole. Right now you could conceivably start at the magnetic south pole, end up traveling geographically south before then beginning true northerly movement.

Which is all to say that, unless you have a GPS device, you're probably going to die, at either pole. Visibility can be shit with high winds and blowing snow, obviously the brutal cold is a major factor, and you'd have to be an old-school navigator with knowledge of star, sun, and moon positions and relative motions.

I will not be signing up for this.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
??
Wherever you start on the continent, heading South will take you to the pole.

But you have to choose _which_ South pole, no?

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-south-pole-1434334

Like the North Pole, the South Pole also has magnetic and geomagnetic poles which differ from the 90˚S Geographic South Pole. According to the Australian Antarctic Division, the Magnetic South pole is the location on the Earth's surface where "the direction of the Earth's magnetic field is vertically upwards." This forms a magnetic dip that is 90˚ at the Magnetic South Pole. This location moves about 3 miles (5 km) per year and in 2007 it was located at 64.497˚S and 137.684˚E.

The Geomagnetic South Pole is defined by the Australian Antarctic Division as the point of intersection between the Earth's surface and the axis of a magnetic dipole that approximates the Earth's center and the beginning of the Earth's magnetic field. The Geomagnetic South Pole is estimated to be located at 79.74˚S and 108.22˚E. This location is near the Vostok Station, a Russian research outpost.

| might be being a _trifle_ pedantic.