Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 301 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mk

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2000
Who'd they kill? Aztecs? Olmecs? Incas?
The Aztec and Inca empires among others. The Olmecs were gone long before that. The Mayan civilization was still alive after the classic period Maya collapse in 8th-9th century CE although in a much reduced form, the Spaniards did conquer them as well in the 16th century.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
33mbfwg.jpg

3451y1j.jpg

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006

That would never work in the Bay Area because of the rough waters in the Bay and at the Golden Gate, but I wonder which one is more cost effective: 1) Low to the water, then under or 2) like the Golden Gate and Bay bridges?

MotionMan

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
That would never work in the Bay Area because of the rough waters in the Bay and at the Golden Gate, but I wonder which one is more cost effective: 1) Low to the water, then under or 2) like the Golden Gate and Bay bridges?

MotionMan

I would think the high bridge. Tunneling and underwater work is difficult and expensive. Also, a high bridge, with a bit of oversimplification, just adds height over the low bridge design. For an example:
Merrimac-Monitor
Sunshine Skyway
Sunshine Skyway has about 30% more bridge length, significantly more bridge height, and lacks the tunnel segment, costing about $250 million. The Merrimac-Monitor cost $400 million, with a nearly mile long piece of tunnel (so both structures have about the same total length).

Last edited: