Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 302 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
1454263_700b_v1.jpg

I've made something similar in Minecraft, so I can attest to the difficulty of such a project.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
*Shudders*

I do bridge inspections at work. A 3 span bridge takes a good hour or two. FML to the people who have to get a boat to inspect that f*cker.

The boat may get you there, but you may also need some scuba gear, no?

MotionMan (<--- Dad was a bridge engineer/inspector)

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The boat may get you there, but you may also need some scuba gear, no?

MotionMan (<--- Dad was a bridge engineer/inspector)

About fifty inspections later, I only had to do a few in-water with chest waders in streams. haven't had to take a boat yet. Regardless, water is so shallow, you just assume the footings are fine unless you see major settlement or eff-ups.

For deeper water where piers go lower and ar exposed, and where there may be ice, more or more powerful water - yep, someone's going down... Not me though, I have 20/200 or worse vision (-7.00 -ish myopia).

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001

wow that looked familiar. That is not Denmark, that is the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel in Virginia. My wife was totally freaked out when we dove under the water.

Gotta love how accurate the internet is lol.

Also that looks like a horrible design when you think about a storm surge, no? Looks like a good way to flood the tunnel and kill anyone in it. Course you'd close the bridge and tunnel in such a case but you'd think they would build up more of a wall around the island.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
About fifty inspections later, I only had to do a few in-water with chest waders in streams. haven't had to take a boat yet. Regardless, water is so shallow, you just assume the footings are fine unless you see major settlement or eff-ups.

For deeper water where piers go lower and ar exposed, and where there may be ice, more or more powerful water - yep, someone's going down... Not me though, I have 20/200 or worse vision (-7.00 -ish myopia).

And they let you inspect bridges? Oh god do you need binoculars to inspect something?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Gotta love how accurate the internet is lol.

Also that looks like a horrible design when you think about a storm surge, no? Looks like a good way to flood the tunnel and kill anyone in it. Course you'd close the bridge and tunnel in such a case but you'd think they would build up more of a wall around the island.
Our policy on a lot of things seems to be that a once-in-a-decade event will never happen. So you end up with places that get flooded every time it rains really heavily, and rather than invest in infrastructure modifications and enhancements to prevent the flooding, people just rebuild what was destroyed and hope it never happens again.