Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3714 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The older I get, the more I find money distasteful. I require enough to get by, but for anything above that, I'm not willing to wheel/deal, scam or screw anyone out of more, and I'm not chasing pennies or baubles from companies using money as bait. I'd like to live in StarTrek land where you do things cause they're interesting, and machines take care of anything needed.

That said, fuck stepdad. I don't forgive, and I don't forget; ever. You're transgressions can counterbalanced by positive actions/attributes, and I may choose to ignore what you did, but I won't forget. Stepdad's paying rent unless he's paid for his transgression some other way.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
He can charge and evict as a matter of "right". There is no common law or statutory exemption to charge to let tenants keep possession even if they are family. Law trump pop morality, including familial ties.

Now, if he really wants to exercise the full extent of rights in case the stepdad and/or mom engages in the legally allowed way of breaking the law(not paying but keeping possession), there are some notices to give before filing for eviction(and often times there are different causes of action, such a failure to pay rent, holding over/lease expiration, breach of lease.

What laypeople don't realize is that possession restoration to the owner is already systemically slow. But tenants unleashing sob stories treat it as an imminent ejection.

Now, mom could exact her vengeance with other means in the future...like making sure her son doesn't get a single cent of her estate(without him attempting a lawsuit like in the case of Joan Crawford)

1. Legal system and gubment doesn't stop for intangible morality.
2. That doesn't mean the other afflicted party can't exercise rights in another aspect of law to get back at "right exerciser". Or even...less than moral but practically unenforceable conduct violations. Maybe mom and stepdad break a few things before leaving. It will be ALL CIVIL, nothing criminal.
3. Rights can be exercised but retaliation can happen both officially and unofficially.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This situation is what I would refer to as "poetic justice" .... step-dad didn't like when what WENT around CAME BACK around... as it tends to do!

I say tough titties .... step-dad shouldn't have been a dick! ;)

0622883a2ef8015b63f0f20e2d6861a6.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pmv and skyking

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Right? That is some risky shit, though honestly the notion of getting to feel what a "buoyant anvil" feels like it might do it for me. fuckit.exe -shrug

(after a triple bagging)

Of course the obvious wonder is thought of trying to swim in a pool of mercury...how strange and amazing that must feel.

And of course you then realize that there is probably no shortage of stories in human history of insane leaders back in the bronze age, and even earlier, that would have had great access to this magic material and probably used it for all sorts of displays of insane wealth and power....just pretty much poisoning themselves to death as they impressed their awed vassals and subjects with their mercury pool parties and such.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
it's simple to me. Stepfather wants son to be responsible, to learn responsibility. Son has asset and wants to maximize the value and growth of the asset. Pay up or move out, dear stepdaddy.
It sounds like stepdaddy is a gold digger looking for a free ride to start with.

yeah, stepdad goofed when he seemed to think "dumb teenager" doesn't understand how houses work, probably just assumed kid didn't know that there wasn't a mortgage that he (or mom) was paying. Though, I guess the mom was paying it and maybe stepdad was even splitting it and just never asked or had any understanding anyway to clarify the ownership.

seems...dodgy to not understand that after getting married.

anyway, at the end of the day, dude went into battle with terrible information and even worse: a stupid brain with no cards to play, and now is trying to backpedal in the worst way. I'd be curious if he actually was splitting the mortgage and didn't know the deets, or he was seriously paying nothing and thought he could exploit the kid for some free cash that would only be going into his pocket.

..the weird bit is the kid just turning around and asking stepdad and his mom to start paying him--is there actually no mortgage and it's just property tax? Has mom been paying the mortgage all along anyway, and it's just a formality and simple arrangement that never was an issue between them? If the latter, then the kid doesn't have much leg to stand on, because it's not like he's paying the mortgage with no job.

....but depending on circumstances of dad's death, the family could have gotten some sweet death insurance from the mortgage company that wipes out something like 60% or more of the remaining principle? (I guess it depends on where they live--but some of these are really generous and depending on your zipcode, can pay off nearly all of a mortgage)...so that's another situation that could make the house pretty much paid for, and this dumb stepdad in a really bad light, assuming that's the case.

Last edited:

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Yesterday I was taking the ballons my two-year-old daughter had drawn on her drawing pad, blowing them up tying a knot, throwing them up in the air and letting them bop down her head and body, her giggling loudly every time. I think had to blow up something like twenty of these virtual ballons until we (I) decided it was enough :)