Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3435 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I have a panny 3CCD camcorder with usb and firewire :colbert:

did nobody get the clue that firewire was a bad idea with electronics? Nobody remembers the phrase, " let the smoke out of it?"

Right, the issue here is that this was an early model very fancy camera designed "for science"--one of those scope mounted-only jobs that was manufactured at a time when 1394.whatever version was really the only thing going. At least, it was standard in this particular field, which often found people connecting their inverted big fancy scopes to old shitty Macs, which only had firewire, and these power-hungry early digital CCD devices needed tons of power. I'd say this camera was from late 90s, early aughts, and someone just handed it to us ~2017 or so. With the scope, which was what we were after anyway.

He was trying to run the camera through some backup laptop--I think an old personal one that he had replaced. I was like "what are you doing?" ..."I got this adaptor from Amazon to that I can hook up the camera cable to the laptop USB." I said "You know, that's a really terrible idea. I don't think this is going to work out very well for you or the laptop." About 50 seconds later, there was a lot of smoke pouring out of his laptop.

We tried the camera later--I picked up a firewire PCI adaptor and installed it on one of our desktops in the scope room. It was also toast.

Oh, to clarify: the "thing" that I can't believe that was made and sold was the USB-Firewire adaptor. It astonishes me, the complete lack of any sort of regulation from unscrupulous shits selling things like that.

Reactions: Captante and dank69

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
mmpS64m.jpeg

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Right, the issue here is that this was an early model very fancy camera designed "for science"--one of those scope mounted-only jobs that was manufactured at a time when 1394.whatever version was really the only thing going. At least, it was standard in this particular field, which often found people connecting their inverted big fancy scopes to old shitty Macs, which only had firewire, and these power-hungry early digital CCD devices needed tons of power. I'd say this camera was from late 90s, early aughts, and someone just handed it to us ~2017 or so. With the scope, which was what we were after anyway.

He was trying to run the camera through some backup laptop--I think an old personal one that he had replaced. I was like "what are you doing?" ..."I got this adaptor from Amazon to that I can hook up the camera cable to the laptop USB." I said "You know, that's a really terrible idea. I don't think this is going to work out very well for you or the laptop." About 50 seconds later, there was a lot of smoke pouring out of his laptop.

We tried the camera later--I picked up a firewire PCI adaptor and installed it on one of our desktops in the scope room. It was also toast.

Oh, to clarify: the "thing" that I can't believe that was made and sold was the USB-Firewire adaptor. It astonishes me, the complete lack of any sort of regulation from unscrupulous shits selling things like that.
They sell this on Amazon today. I rest my case.
614U7rIzIbL._AC_SL1256_.jpg

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Although I rarely used Firewire back when it was a lot more commonly around it was a very useful tech prior to USB3.

Pretty sure the electrical power levels drawn by the FW camera could be an issue for USB/any device used but I would still think it would be possible to make an adapter that safely carried the "data" part of the signal no?

Not as bad as it first seems.

While its far from an ideal solution this could be used to connect two shorter extension-cords without much issue provided the wire safely supported the current.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

While its far from an ideal solution this could be used to connect two shorter extension-cords without much issue provided the wire safely supported the current.
I'm sure someone, somewhere needs a cord with two male ends, but I can't think of a thing I'd use it for that doesn't violate law, code, and common sense.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'm sure someone, somewhere needs a cord with two male ends, but I can't think of a thing I'd use it for that doesn't violate law, code, and common sense.
Outside Christmas lights. People hang them up, then realize that one string is backwards. They then trot down to the hardware store to pick up an adapter with two male ends. Hardware stores don't sell them, so they get angry and swear at the clerk helping them.
A friend of mine went through this every year.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I used to work at a skid manufacturing company. While they were building the units, the elections would shove bare wires from an extension cord into a standard 120v US plug, which would power the panel. (Power flowing from the plug to thev panel instead of the other way)

Using this would've been much safer than the bare wire technique, not that that place cared about safety.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Although I rarely used Firewire back when it was a lot more commonly around it was a very useful tech prior to USB3.

Pretty sure the electrical power levels drawn by the FW camera could be an issue for USB/any device used but I would still think it would be possible to make an adapter that safely carried the "data" part of the signal no?

This would only create a longer extention cord with 2 male ends. Not a very sensible solution for your given issue.

Is there a link to this item on amazon.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Shouldn't the chain be spinning the other way?
Chain rotates away from the operator on the top of the bar. Using the top of bar pushes the saw into the operator. Makes it harder, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Contacting the upper portion of the bar tip(first ~33% of the radius) will violently throw the saw back at the operator. Yay chainbrakes! Even better is understanding your tool, being aware of the ways it can fuck you up.