Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3308 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
0Me1cRF.png

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
There's nothing to fix. The vast majority of viewers are watching on their phones so vertical is the appropriate format for the dominant consumption device. Geezers need to get hip to the times.

If we were meant to see things vertically instead of horizontally, our eyes would've been stacked on top of each other and not aside from each other!

Turn your phone sideways to watch anything and everything like our eyes were meant to see.

I don't understand why you would call vertical "appropriate" in any case other than just being too lazy to rotate your phone. What shape & orientation is your desktop monitor and why is it so?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If we were meant to see things vertically instead of horizontally, our eyes would've been stacked on top of each other and not aside from each other!

Turn your phone sideways to watch anything and everything like our eyes were meant to see.

I don't understand why you would call vertical "appropriate" in any case other than just being too lazy to rotate your phone. What shape & orientation is your desktop monitor and why is it so?
Because people generally hold their phone fucking vertically not horizontally when just using it to browse social media sites. It's much easier to use your phone with one hand holding it vertically than horizontally which many people do.

You can fit more content on a phone vertically than horizontally when it comes to websites, apps, etc. You consume stuff differently on your phone than you do on your computer monitor.

Why is this so fucking hard for you all to understand?

EDIT:

Also you must not work in IT. Many people in IT have one monitor turned 90 degrees because you can consume more information that way for the tasks at hand.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Because people generally hold their phone fucking vertically not horizontally when just using it to browse social media sites. It's much easier to use your phone with one hand holding it vertically than horizontally which many people do.

You can fit more content on a phone vertically than horizontally when it comes to websites, apps, etc. You consume stuff differently on your phone than you do on your computer monitor.

EDIT:

Also you must not work in IT. Many people in IT have one monitor turned 90 degrees because you can consume more information that way for the tasks at hand.
I work in IT. Vertical landscaping is one of the many reasons why cellphones are one of the greatest things created by mankind, made absolutely idiotic by Steve fucking Jobs.

We interact with our world on a horizontal plane. There's zero reason why video content should be vertical. Phones should be designed where I can easily flip them horizontal for video consumption without mashing 35 goddamned buttons. Webpages should be designed where I can flip them horizontal for video consumption without them collapsing under the weight of garbage coding.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I work in IT. Vertical landscaping is one of the many reasons why cellphones are one of the greatest things created by mankind, made absolutely idiotic by Steve fucking Jobs.

We interact with our world on a horizontal plane. There's zero reason why video content should be vertical. Phones should be designed where I can easily flip them horizontal for video consumption without mashing 35 goddamned buttons. Webpages should be designed where I can flip them horizontal for video consumption without them collapsing under the weight of garbage coding.
You should cry moar.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Noticing the missing mirror on the left side, I suspect this has not always gone as planned.

And what PSI do tires have to be inflated to standup to that kind of side load?
I might be reading it wrong but i was thinking that car is about to flip based on the way the tires look. Or it's a chop.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

EDIT:

So what extra good information do you like on your verticle videos? The extra ground or extra sky, where nothing is happening. Or is the inability to see what is going on right next to the subject, you know, usually the thing the subject is interacting with.

Reactions: rise and dank69

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So what extra good information do you like on your verticle videos? The extra ground or extra sky, where nothing is happening. Or is the inability to see what is going on right next to the subject, you know, usually the thing the subject is interacting with.
I never said I liked vertical videos or preferred them. I said I understand why there are so many of them.