Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2652 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
The fact that you guys know WTF that even is makes me wonder about you all.

I had to look it up - and I'm utterly disturbed by even a single obsessive fanboy potentially buying a jar of bath water. I was thinking, oh maybe it's something else, just cheekily named bath water... and then oh this is some real person's bathwater. wtf

Nov 8, 2012
The fact that you guys know WTF that even is makes me wonder about you all.
Men are horny beasts... Especially sex deprived incels on YouTube. Doesn't surprise me they sold I guess since she was videoing water running through her butt crack.

But as far as how I found out, I watch a YouTuber by the name of Phillip DeFranco. He basically goes over daily news items, some relate to whatever is trending but also just what is going on in the world. Much more entertaining and informative than local news where they show me stupid crap

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
But as far as how I found out, I watch a YouTuber by the name of Phillip DeFranco. He basically goes over daily news items, some relate to whatever is trending but also just what is going on in the world. Much more entertaining and informative than local news where they show me stupid crap
tenor.gif

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Interesting article. I agree with some of that but as a former employee of a Boyne ski resort, I can tell you with absolute certainty that falling out of a ski lift chair is more than adequate to mess you up. During my time there we had 2 separate events where people fell out and required ski patrol evac. If people can find a way to drop out of a chair equipped with the restraint bar, then the same thing can happen in a chair without a bar. Where I worked, the trip up to the highest peak took awhile and was in no way a consistent height all the way there. It varied from 20-25ft to 50ft, maybe more.

Restraint bar equipped chairs are no safer than chairs no bars? Yeah no sorry Ms LaCapria. I can't agree with that simply because I've witnessed restraint bars keep kids in place when they went to slide off the seat prematurely thanks to leaning forward to much. Having restraint bar chairs on older lifts I can see slowing down mountain traffic, but all the newer, high tech, "Looks like it's from Austria" lifts I saw were able to seperate the incoming chair or gondola to a slower speed egress/ingress loop that allows the main line to keep moving at a constant speed. I don't think restraint bars represent as much of a time liability to operations as they used to, but I could be wrong, Mnt Operations wasn't my dept.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
Well at least that ski lift isn't trying to actively kill people:

An "administer antivenin" step might belong in there somewhere.

I don't care if you have an IV line already setup, I wouldn't fuck with a King Cobra.

O....Kaaay... Don't believe me I guess?

I actually watched the clip you linked, yeah he pretty much is like if local news was given a gameshow timer. Not the worst (its certainly better than the average "look guys YouTube is actually the best source for real news, stop listening to the lamestream media!!" type shit that usually is involved when someone is trying to get you to watch their favorite YouTube conspiracy theorist channel - and is behind the other person's comment), but he's kinda babbling through news stories and could stand to take a breather. Plus he covers them about as well as local news does, and they seem similarly esoteric to local news stories as well.

Like and subscribe, please comment down below so I can ignore most of them but heart the ones that flatter me! Don't forget to hit that bell. This comment brought to you by dollar shave club, promo code fuckyou.

Average IQ was 30 points higher in the 60's.

You've got Dunning-Kruger Effect hard. Flynn Effect showed that average IQ was going up by about 3 points every 10 years, although I think that tapered off and some regions have shown no changes in decades or even minor decline past the 90s. But that'd still put average IQ about higher than the 60s. Not terribly surprising due to rampant environmental lead and other crap making people violent idiots. Its not entirely your fault for being dumber.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Not terribly surprising due to rampant environmental lead and other crap making people violent idiots. Its not entirely your fault for being dumber.

Just want to give a thumbs up for the mention of environmental lead and its effect on intelligence/behavior. I often go to great lengths to bring it up when its called for because it's often an ignored topic when it comes to a lot of things.

Mar 11, 2004
IQ tests were more of a joke then than they are now.

Yep. They've adjusted them to keep 100 the average baseline number. Younger generations score higher on the older tests. That's actually what caused the person the Flynn Effect is named after to look into it, as they found out that they adjusted the IQ tests every so often so he looked into why. Doing more research he found that IQ scores consistently went up by about 3 points every 10 years (think starting around WWII, and I think through the 80s - this is something known for some time and the 80s were the last time he had data; more research showed it wasn't always consistent, and that in Europe it tapered off and even started slightly reducing some, like I think it showed a 2 point drop since then in the 90s). They've tried to figure out why (it was happening and why it stalled in some places).

Just want to give a thumbs up for the mention of environmental lead and its effect on intelligence/behavior. I often go to great lengths to bring it up when its called for because it's often an ignored topic when it comes to a lot of things.

Yeah, its like people think that's just a joke (the old "did you eat paint chips when you were a kid"). I believe its theorized that (reducing lead) was also partly responsible for the drop in violent crime rates. But who cares if there's lead in our water system, we've gotta save a few pennies!

Nov 8, 2012
.....why do you watch this shit?

I actually watched the clip you linked, yeah he pretty much is like if local news was given a gameshow timer. Not the worst (its certainly better than the average "look guys YouTube is actually the best source for real news, stop listening to the lamestream media!!" type shit that usually is involved when someone is trying to get you to watch their favorite YouTube conspiracy theorist channel - and is behind the other person's comment), but he's kinda babbling through news stories and could stand to take a breather. Plus he covers them about as well as local news does, and they seem similarly esoteric to local news stories as well.

Like and subscribe, please comment down below so I can ignore most of them but heart the ones that flatter me! Don't forget to hit that bell. This comment brought to you by dollar shave club, promo code fuckyou.

All YouTube stuff has its annoying factors - for sure. But it's the same as TV media, they need revenue to continue they just don't have the option of 20 annoying TV commercials so they go by other means.

My main source of news typically is political shows (Bill Maher and John Oliver mainly). I've tried to watch local news but it's in all honesty too painful and too cheesy. I don't need someone to explain the weather to me for 20 minutes. Then they do their cheesy stupid shit in studio with their stupid jokes and stupid marketing gimmicks. I also don't really care anymore about the latest gun robbery at a Taco Bell.

So right now Bill Maher and Oliver are off for a month or so - which is where I use Phillip DeFranco to fill in the gaps a bit. Phillip has his stupid things - in Particular what I don't care for is "Youtube news". No, I don't care what's trending - but the majority of what he covers is actually news. He also does deep dives on topics and explains things a lot more than your local news ever will.

Here is a good example about China and their disputes of land in the South China Sea:

I also don't mind that he gives his opinions on the news, but yeah... the concept of us giving our opinions in the comments is just fucking dumb. Anyhow, watch a few more episodes, he might grow on you a bit :p