Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ! My stepmom just asked me to give my dad half of my liver! *UPDATE*

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BigJelly

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
Long story short:

-Father having more and more complications due to Hepatitis C. Liver expected to fail soon.
-Father VERY low on list to get a transplant (due to age, weight, other factors)
-He went back into the hospital tonight for more complications.

My stepmom just called me and told me what's going on. She then also told me that the doctors are recomending that my father find a "living donor" to give part of their liver, as he has very little chance of qualifying for one before his current fails completely. I said yes, I'd do anything I could (I'm a compatible blood type and being a direct genetic relation helps a lot) but I'm still pretty freaked out right now. I'll know more when I get back from drill on Sunday night (his test results come back about 2 hours after I leave for the field training this weekend).

One thing that scares me though, as a military person they place emphasis on having (for lack of a better word) "no defects." Does anyone in the military know if this is going to make me non-eligible for my enlistment anymore? I know that they have medical leave that will go up to 6 months, and my step mother told me that it would take about 6 months to heal back to my full liver. If I have to go under the knife I hope I won't have to give up my career as a Marine :(

I did a research paper last semester in college about stemcells and one of my sources:
Title: Clonal identification and characterization of self-renewing pluripotent stem cells in the developing liver.
Author, Editor, Inventor: Suzuki-Atsushi; Zheng-Yun-wen; Kaneko-Shin; Onodera-Masafumi; Fukao-Katashi; Nakauchi-Hiromitsu {a}; Taniguchi-Hideki
Source: Journal-of-Cell-Biology. [print] January 7, 2002; 156 (1): 173-184.
Publication Year: 2002
Document Type: Article-
Language: English
Abstract: Using flow cytometry and single cell-based assays, we prospectively identified hepatic stem cells with multi-lineage differentiation potential and self-renewing capability. These cells could be clonally propagated in culture where they continuously produced hepatocytes and cholangiocytes as descendants while maintaining primitive stem cells. When cells that expanded in vitro were transplanted into recipient animals, they morphologically and functionally differentiated into hepatocytes and cholangiocytes with reconstitution of hepatocyte and bile duct structures. Furthermore, these cells differentiated into pancreatic ductal and acinar cells or intestinal epithelial cells when transplanted into pancreas or duodenal wall. These data indicate that self-renewing pluripotent stem cells persist in the developing mouse liver and that such cells can be induced to become cells of other organs of endodermal origin under appropriate microenvironment. Manipulation of hepatic stem cells may provide new insight into therapies for diseases of the digestive system.
Accession Number: 200200043926
Update Code: 20020219

was about the insain regenerative nature of the liver and explained it through hepatic stem cells. The beginning of the introduction reads "The enormous regenerative capacity of the liver after partial hepatectomy [excision of the liver or of part of the liver] or chemical injury is very well known. In rodents, liver weight returns to normal within weeks even after loss of up to two-thirds of total liver mass."

so it appears that you should be back to normal after 6 months

Little Po

Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: GtPrOjEcTX
my step mother told me that it would take about 6 months to heal back to my full liver
livers grow back?

Yes

EDIT: As far as I've been told, if you cut a piece off of a healthy liver, both pieces will grow to full size, like cutting a worm in half.

------

You're correct - fortunately for us the liver an organ that can regenerate. Six months is the usual timetable for a full regeneration but that can vary per person. In the meantime, you'll be able to function normally despite having just half a liver:) No worries...

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: SaltBoy
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ?

Now that's a way of expressing your feelings that I've never seen. :Q:confused:

Good luck!

Its not much different than Jumping Jesus Christ on a Pogo Stick...

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: ATLien247
How old is your dad, ThaGrandCow? And if you do end up giving him part of you liver, does that mean his Hepatitis C will eventually destroy the new one too?

My father is 45, and if he does not get a new liver from us he'll have to wait until he's basically on his death bed before he'll have enough "points" in the system to qualify for a transplant from a random person. Apparently the closer to death you are the harder it is to make a transplant not be rejected, so having one of the kids donate one now while he's still got a better chance is the best chance he has for living.

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Kanalua
I know it may sound harsh, but I probably wouldn't do it. Frankly, I can't believe your step-mom would ask you to do it. No parent in their right mind, would ask their own child to cut their life short to save themselves or their spouse. MAybe she doesn't see it that way because she is your step-mom and doesn't.

I wouldn't do it.

I won't be cutting my life short, my liver will grow back. They're not taking the whole thing, just about 1/3(?) of it. My step mother didn't come out and say "will you do this?" She told me about the status of my dad and the options that he's got, and the fact that the doctor told her that my dad's best chance for survival is to find a living donor within the family. I volunteered to do anything I could.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well, it's established that you're doing the right thing, but I do have a legitimate question: How much would something like this cost? Will insurance cover it? If so, what's the deductible?

Just curious.

illustri

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
i would think is father's insurance would be paying not grandcow

yes this is one of the best options for liver transplant currently, although the operation is dangerous you will be assigned to a capable surgeon who has done it before probably.

ThaGrandCow much respect, I'd like to think that I wouldn't hesitate to do the same in your shoes.

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: GtPrOjEcTX
my step mother told me that it would take about 6 months to heal back to my full liver
livers grow back?

Yes

EDIT: As far as I've been told, if you cut a piece off of a healthy liver, both pieces will grow to full size, like cutting a worm in half.

Sweet, now I just have to line up a few "Donors" and Livers 'R' Us will be open for business...

Opening day special, half off!...

:D