Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ! My stepmom just asked me to give my dad half of my liver! *UPDATE*

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Long story short:

-Father having more and more complications due to Hepatitis C. Liver expected to fail soon.
-Father VERY low on list to get a transplant (due to age, weight, other factors)
-He went back into the hospital tonight for more complications.

My stepmom just called me and told me what's going on. She then also told me that the doctors are recomending that my father find a "living donor" to give part of their liver, as he has very little chance of qualifying for one before his current fails completely. I said yes, I'd do anything I could (I'm a compatible blood type and being a direct genetic relation helps a lot) but I'm still pretty freaked out right now. I'll know more when I get back from drill on Sunday night (his test results come back about 2 hours after I leave for the field training this weekend).

One thing that scares me though, as a military person they place emphasis on having (for lack of a better word) "no defects." Does anyone in the military know if this is going to make me non-eligible for my enlistment anymore? I know that they have medical leave that will go up to 6 months, and my step mother told me that it would take about 6 months to heal back to my full liver. If I have to go under the knife I hope I won't have to give up my career as a Marine :(

UPDATE: I just talked to my dad at the hospital. They won't start doing the surgery until the spring, so I've got a few months. His insurance will cover him 70% at the moment, but hopefully it will raise to 100% like a kidney transplant soon (the live donor transplant is still fairly new). They're trying to cure his Hepatitis C with his old liver still in before putting the new one in, but if it does not get completely cured then the doctors already know which medications NOT to put him on (those that they tried before and got bad results from). I may also be moving down to Texas to be with them. I was at my drill center today asking what would happen, and could not get a definite response from the Navy people that were in the medical center, I'll have to ask the actual Marines when I go in on Friday. My dad is very low on the transplant list and the doctors really don't want to give him a liver from a cadaver due to possible rejection and unknown previous history. At that point the doctors were back in the room and he had to hang up so he could get a transfusion and some meds. Will update more when I know more.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Wow man, thats a really brave thing to do. I hope everything works out for ya, good luck.

Warthog912

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
man, that is serious. Hope he gets to feeling better. No answer on the military question though. I do know they give you time off if a family member is extremely ill don't remember what it is exactly called though.

Good luck

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: GtPrOjEcTX
my step mother told me that it would take about 6 months to heal back to my full liver
livers grow back?

Yes

EDIT: As far as I've been told, if you cut a piece off of a healthy liver, both pieces will grow to full size, like cutting a worm in half.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
I know that they won't let you enlist if you've donated an organ (but I'm not sure if "part" falls under this as well), at least that's what I've read from the marines info i got.

gunblade

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2002
Yes, when you are under certain age and you have more than 2/3 of total liver cells that is functioning. Or so I heard.

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
my step mother told me that it would take about 6 months to heal back to my full liver
livers grow back?

Yes

EDIT: As far as I've been told, if you cut a piece off of a healthy liver, both pieces will grow to full size, like cutting a worm in half.

***passes out***

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
livers grow back?
Yes

cool.

good luck to you and your dad.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Well, what's good is that the part of your liver they remove (the smaller "lobe") will grow back :p

IN the Air Force, you have to get approval from the base hospital that the procedure is medically sound, then you must get approval from the base commander for permissive leave (with is paid leave). They usually are willing to help you out in any way possible in these kinds of circustances.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Talk with your CO and maybe the local medic. One of them should be able to get you the answer.

I'm sure they'll agree that your dad's life is more important than a career in the Marines if it comes down to that.

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: TechnoKid
I know that they won't let you enlist if you've donated an organ (but I'm not sure if "part" falls under this as well), at least that's what I've read from the marines info i got.

Hopefully they've got some kind of loophole for people that are already enlisted who just need to take a few months off. I hope so at least... my future plans in life kind of revolve around going through officer school and flight school with the Marines. It'd be really rough if I had to give that up :(

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Well, what's good is that the part of your liver they remove (the smaller "lobe") will grow back :p

IN the Air Force, you have to get approval from the base hospital that the procedure is medically sound, then you must get approval from the base commander for permissive leave (with is paid leave). They usually are willing to help you out in any way possible in these kinds of circustances.

Thank you for the info :beer:

Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Talk with your CO and maybe the local medic. One of them should be able to get you the answer.

I'm sure they'll agree that your dad's life is more important than a career in the Marines if it comes down to that.

I'll be asking them about 30 seconds after I show up on base this friday for my reserve drill.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
That's really cool to help your dad like that. And yes, your liver will completely recover fairly quickly. Six months would be an "outside" estimate. Should be no cause for concern as far as eligibility... I can't see how they could use this against you because it would definitely be a temporary condition and not one that should even impact a healthy soldier.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Grand Cow,

I take my hat off to you in respect for doing the right thing for your father.

Good luck to you and your dad.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Wow, that's a very selfless thing to do. Especially to agree not knowing if it will affect your future plans. :beer: to you. Best of luck on both counts.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
ThaGrandCow, you are making one of the best choices of your life :beer:

I commend you on making such a good choice and helping your father out in a time like this. Best of luck and hope you're surgery goes well! Your father has a great son! :) Good luck! :D

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Thanks for all the support guys :)

It's not definite that I'm going under the knife just yet. My brother and also my uncle and aunt (from fathers side) also are being approached. My brother is in a worse spot than I am, as he has decided to join the Marines after seeing what they did for me, and he's getting ready to ship out to boot shortly. I haven't spoken to my uncle or aunt yet. My stepmother herself also has stepped up and volunteered to be tested for compatibility for donation. There's a chance either way as to what's going to happen. We'll know more when the test results come back.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
AFAIK, donating part of your liver won't hinder your military career. That's according to my Marine PLC instructor. You're doing the honorable thing, and I salute you.

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: dtyn
AFAIK, donating part of your liver won't hinder your military career. That's according to my Marine PLC instructor. You're doing the honorable thing, and I salute you.

:beer: YES!! Best news I've heard all night :D:D:D:D

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
livers grow back?

Yes

Wow, I did not know that. IMO, you should definately do this, even if it does put your dream career in danger.

There are many careers out there, but only one father.