Jesus christ - young people suck at voting

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
http://www.971freefm.com/pages/4103.php

Look at the 3rd podcast: "Those Young Voters" and skip through to the callers. Many of them are Obama supporters and don't know crap about his policies although they claim to like his policies.

Example:
Host: So what do you like about Obama?
Caller: I like his new plans on Social Security
Host: Oh really, what is it?
Caller: Ummm - I'm not so sure

I like Obama and Clinton, but these voters are retarded - smart people need to vote to cancel out these idiots

Don't turn this into a politics thread - it's just for bashing stupid voters

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
I find that all people are idiots, but young idiots are worse because they don't know it yet.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
The problem is the push for everyone to vote. MTV rock the vote is a perfect example.

A person should vote because they want to, not because other people tell them to.

And honestly, if you don't know who or what you are voting for, do the educated voters a favor and don't vote.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: EarthwormJim
And honestly, if you don't know who or what you are voting for, do the educated voters a favor and don't vote.

I agree - and people wonder why America still has the electoral college...

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: yamadakun
Hmmmm, old people know what politicians stand for?

Most of them actually can name how many senators are in the United States or the number of chief justices in the Supreme Court

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001

statistically, they are the most concerned and educated about our candidates. it all works out though folks, in the end young people in november get too lazy, cold, high, drunk, busy, hungry to vote when it actually counts. i don't care who says vote or die whether it be diddy, p.hil, mtv, random stars, young people never vote as often as older folks. i am 22 and i feel that i am educated about the candidates but some of my friends are voting for obama cause he's black and cool. :eek: everyone should be able to vote, i just wish everyone was educated on the topics and candidates.

Jun 27, 2005
without reading any of the posts here... i am going to assme that this is another Ron Paul thread...

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
That's why I didn't want to register to vote. Because I don't know wtf is going on, I have school to worry about, I'm not paying attention to politics. But of course, dad made me register to vote so now I have to start caring...

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
what about the state congressman on msnbc? (?) who supported obama but couldn't tell the news guy about obama's political record? that guy was old. by your awesome generalization methods, that means all old people are idiots too. so looks like everyone cancels each other out.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: Xylitol
Originally posted by: EarthwormJim

I agree - and people wonder why America still has the electoral college...
Yup, exactly. I see so many irresponsible idiots on campus and cry when I think they are somehow going to be contributing (or lack thereof) to society later in life.

The one thing I do wish we had were open primaries.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001

Most of them actually can name how many senators are in the United States or the number of chief justices in the Supreme Court

That pretty much does not answer his question.

Most voters vote for the person who represents the side of the political spectrum they chose to vote for (Democrat/Republican), and then on the person who they see in the news the most, and not too negatively.
Rare few actually know what they are getting themselves into by voting for someone, and even fewer know what policies the other politicians stand for.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Were you complaining when dumb people, AKA the Republican fundy base, voted for GWB over McCain?

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I'm 23 and never voted. Never will. Your politics are safe from my idiocy :p

Tommouse

Feb 29, 2004
My grandfather is so solidly in one camp he doesn't care who comes down the candidate pipeline. If he is the party's choice he gets his vote. He also hates it when we (his grand children) try to talk politics with him, to get a reason out of him for his stance, but he never backs up his positions. To me when someone can't or won't give me the solid reasons for why they make such a decision, it means the "logic" they used is faulty or so full of holes it couldn't stand up to scrutiny. So my Grandpa is just another ignorant "vote the party no logical thought required elderly voter."

Don't think it's just young people who can't back up their stances, old folks do it too.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: dethman
what about the state congressman on msnbc? (?) who supported obama but couldn't tell the news guy about obama's political record?

Heh. Same thing happened with Hillary after her "3 AM Ad".

Reporter: So what major crisis has Hillary dealt with?
Supporter: <crickets>

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I still wish they'd have a few options on there:

1) None of the above
2) Format and reinstall Washington DC

They're never there, dammit.

It's a matter of time and priorities. How much time do we allocate to learning about politicians? What sources do we use to get that information? Whose agendas are we really listening to? How much of the story are we really hearing?
"All the news that's fit to print." - that's a bit of a misnomer. "All the news we feel like giving you" is a bit more accurate, and that applies to all news outlets. The news you get passes through a lot of filters. Managers decide which stories to report on, the reporters or field directors decide how to report a story, and editors decide what you're going to get to see. There's advertising to worry about, too. If you're getting some serious ad revenue from a certain source, you might be hesitant to report that that source is involved in some illegal scheme, as it not only threatens your bottom line, but also your public image.

Either way, not voting is a sign to those higher up that you simply don't care. Do that, and you get more of the same old same old. And don't just vote for the incumbent because he's got a familiar-sounding name. That's part of why incumbency rates are so damn high. That, and people running unopposed. Corrupt officials get voted to stay in office over and over again, thus condoning and validating wasteful or outright useless spending.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Reminds me of the video where they have a doctored map of the world with all the countries labeled correctly except they keep swapping Iraq around. Then they ask people to point to Iraq on the map and no one notices its not in the right place. They're like "Are you sure that's where it is?" Lmao. They even labeled Australia as Iraq and the dorks pointed to it.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
I forget who the quote is, but it's one of my favorites:

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
http://www.971freefm.com/pages/4103.php

Look at the 3rd podcast: "Those Young Voters" and skip through to the callers. Many of them are Obama supporters and don't know crap about his policies although they claim to like his policies.

Example:
Host: So what do you like about Obama?
Caller: I like his new plans on Social Security
Host: Oh really, what is it?
Caller: Ummm - I'm not so sure

I like Obama and Clinton, but these voters are retarded - smart people need to vote to cancel out these idiots

Don't turn this into a politics thread - it's just for bashing stupid voters

How is this different from some older voters?

Politician: JESUS JESUS JESUS GOD GOD GOD JESUS JESUS CREATIONISM!!!!!!
Voter: I'm voting for him!

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
without reading any of the posts here... i am going to assme that this is another Ron Paul thread...

More to the point, they suck at anything that requires critical thinking.