Jessica Lynch

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: smashp
Not surpising.

Deep down we all know what happens to pretty White women.

Hell, Rape is an accepted means of torture in the Arab World.

They torture men by bringing in their daughters, sisters, mothers, wives and raping them right in front of you.

Ten bucks says the crappy Nbc movie leaves this little titbit out.

Yeah smash, all over the Arab world people randomely rape women. Why give parking tickets? Just rape the daughter! From Riyadh to Abu Dhabi! Rape for all!
rolleye.gif
Have you ever even been to an Arab country? Do you even know an Arab? Or are you just repating what Hannity told you?

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Whitling
It's been years since I've seen the statistic quoted, but rape is not a part of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. When I last saw a published statistic on this, there had never been a rape by the opposing sides. Contrary to what someone earlier said, I do not believe that rape is a customary part of Arab culture. I'm not going to try to prove a null hypothesis, but one of you gonzos who thinks its a customary thing, come up with some data. And, by the way, I do believe the tales of Sadaam's regime where rape was apparently a part of the brutality. But this is not a general Arab custom.

It's not customary but it is a perfectly accepted form of punishment in some areas. How many women did Uday rape in his short albeit evil lifetime?

So now Uday represents the actions, convictions and philosophies of all Arabs?

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Nitemare (how appropriate). Just shoot us a link that backs you up. I havent listed a link to support my statement and I'll tell you why.

The statement "You can't prove a null hypothesis." Means that there is no satisfactory way to prove that something doesn't exist. This is a maxim of science, not my personal opinion. You want to prove something exists, go ahead. I knew some ---I don't want to be insulting here --- poster would say, "What about Sadaam (or Uday)?" Some one has already answered this. That fact that it's happened doesn't mean it's a societal norm. After all, we generally don't approve of preemptive stikes based on suspicion, but it happened.

Rape is not a crime if it happens at home

"The age of marriage has been reduced for women from 18 to 9. All the harsh punishments prescribed under Islamic law are applicable to a 9-year old girl, whereas a 14 year old boy is still regarded underage and will not be subjected to such punishment until he is 15 (Paragraph 2, Article 1210, Civil Law). Furthermore, with the permission of the guardian (father or grandfather) and provided it is in the "best interest" of the ward, a girl can be married to a man even when she has not reached the age of consent, or indeed even when she is a baby girl (Article 1041 of Civil Law). This is legal child rape. "

How about a gang rape because her brother was seen walking with a girl?

Good news is that they were apprehended, but check out some of the other items on the page

Washington Posts article on it

The origins of women wearing head coverings was to prevent rape?

Nitemate, You say Arab culture is permissive of rape and you give us a link to an article about Pakistani tribal men and one from some completely uncredited site on Iran (Iranians are not Arab BTW, they are Persian). Bravo! All you people who still beleive that Arab culture in general is permissive of rape need to get your heads examined. Besides, has anyone provided a reliable statistic on rapes in Arab countries yet or are we just supposed to take Nitemare and smash's word for it? We don't have a particularly stellar record on rape in this country either, yet no one suggests that American culture is conducive to rape do they? There are bad people everywhere but a lot of you have a hard time understanding the concepts of generalizing and stereotyping. Then again, maybe it works to your political advantage to do so.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001

So basically you use articles which claim that Muslimas did not cover their hair before 1970, when some guy decided it would be a cool idea?
I guess it's safe to presume that you don't read religious books, nor do any background research on stuff you want to post BS about?

Read the Quran, or just check http://www.al-islam.org if you are too lazy to go to a library. I guess that guy from 1970 was one of the infamous time travellers, if he went back in time to put it in a book written many hundreds of years ago?

Over 70% of South Africans is Christian, yet that country has the highest percentage of rapes in the whole world. I guess it's something Christian, to rape women.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
You people who are claiming that somehow Islam or Arab cultures encourage a culture of rape are pillars of ignorance.

I can think of many Christian dominated areas and groups that have far higher incidences of rape.
Democratice Republic of Congo, the Serbians during the wars with the Bosnian Muslims and Croats, South Africe, the US. etc.

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
You people who are claiming that somehow Islam or Arab cultures encourage a culture of rape are pillars of ignorance.

I can think of many Christian dominated areas and groups that have far higher incidences of rape.
Democratice Republic of Congo, the Serbians during the wars with the Bosnian Muslims and Croats, South Africe, the US. etc.

yes, thats all i could think of when reading the story. how many rapes go on in this country that never get reported?

rape is a horrific thing and i think we all agree that this is a terrible event in her life. but to suggest that rape is something that only happens in "lesser countries" or have an attitude of "oh how could they?" seems a little shameful. shameful becuase it seems that some people are using a universal social problem as qausi-propaganda leverage against the enemy.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: PatboyX
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

yes, thats all i could think of when reading the story. how many rapes go on in this country that never get reported?

rape is a horrific thing and i think we all agree that this is a terrible event in her life. but to suggest that rape is something that only happens in "lesser countries" or have an attitude of "oh how could they?" seems a little shameful. shameful becuase it seems that some people are using a universal social problem as qausi-propaganda leverage against the enemy.

Probably cause a large number of guys here blame a girl for 'probably changing her mind afterwards' if she claims to be raped.

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Probably cause a large number of guys here blame a girl for 'probably changing her mind afterwards' if she claims to be raped.

i seriously doubt the vast majority of rapes in this country or this world are becuase a woman changes her mind during the act.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Reading that report on drudge gives me an amout of respect for this woman i cannot express. The Willingness to call the military and the media on their overblown accounts and use of her as "Propaganda".

This young girl is stronger mentally and morally than any of us could ever hope to be.

She tells the truth and is angry of the use and exageration of her story.

she had every opertunity to Play the hero card yet she stands up for the truth and what is right.

That is heroic.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce
Not surpising.

They torture men by bringing in their daughters, sisters, mothers, wives and raping them right in front of you.

Yeah smash, all over the Arab world people randomely rape women. Why give parking tickets? Just rape the daughter! From Riyadh to Abu Dhabi! Rape for all!
rolleye.gif
Have you ever even been to an Arab country? Do you even know an Arab? Or are you just repating what Hannity told you?

F@CK no Hannity is as EVil as they come. He is a master of the emotional half-truths and a propagater even Joseph Goebels would be proud of.

These are methods used in interrigation in syria, eqypt, and the former Iraqi regime. They arent Muslim or Arab "Traditions" as you infer I Suggest but rather methods used by OPPRESSIVE GOVERNMENTS which the middle east and arab world as a whole have quite a few of.

Do a little research.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Bragg wrote Lynch's biography (and I assume) had access to her medical records (don't know how he would manage that one).
If Lynch made copies of her medical records like the rest of us were encouraged to at the time of seperation, then that part of the equation is solved. Otherwise, yes, the "literary license" once again triumphs over truth.

skylark

Feb 24, 2001
Nope. they never interrogated her that way. its all made up. use your eyes to discern it not third-party sources to determine the veracity.

sensational bullcrap..

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
sensational bullcrap..

hey, that was my nickname in high school.

so do the vast majority of people follow the idea that this is too staged and seemingly fraudulent to be true?
i cant find enough good info to make a decision on it. however, that i feel the need to consider that an option is quite disturbing.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Not surpising.

rolleye.gif

F@CK no Hannity is as EVil as they come. He is a master of the emotional half-truths and a propagater even Joseph Goebels would be proud of.

These are methods used in interrigation in syria, eqypt, and the former Iraqi regime. They arent Muslim or Arab "Traditions" as you infer I Suggest but rather methods used by OPPRESSIVE GOVERNMENTS which the middle east and arab world as a whole have quite a few of.

Do a little research.

If you make a claim it is up to you to provide evidence, not me.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Shouldn't we be invading/overthrowing these oppressive governements using these methods?

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I remember a report that said the Iraqi doctor tried to deliver Lynch to the Americans via an ambulance 2 days before the 'rescue', but was turned away with gunfire. Has this story ever been debunked, and if not I wonder if Lynch can confirm the story.

Banana

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
It's funny how this allegation has become "fact" without proof. FWIW, the Iraqi doctors who treated Lynch said they saw no evidence of rape. This is an Associated Press article in Saturday's paper. (I can't link because you have to log in to read the articles.) There is no proof of rape unless Lynch's "amnesia" goes away. She should undergo hypnosis to release those memories--probably bad for them to be lurking in her psyche.
NASIRIYAH, Iraq - Iraqi doctors who treated former prisoner of war Jessica Lynch dismissed on Friday claims made in her autobiography that she was raped by her Iraqi captors.

Although Lynch said she has no memory of the sexual assault, medical records cited in "I am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story" indicate that she was raped and sodomized by her Iraqi captors, according to U.S. media who said they had advance copies. The 207-page book, written with her cooperation by best-selling author Rick Bragg, is scheduled for release Tuesday, Veterans Day.

The book is part of a flurry of attention to Lynch in coming days. ABC will air Diane Sawyer's interview with Lynch Tuesday evening on "Primetime," she will be on the cover of Time magazine, and NBC will broadcast a movie Sunday night based on an Iraqi's account of her ordeal.

The book covers Lynch's experience from March 23 -- when her convoy was ambushed in Nasiriyah -- to April 1, when she was evacuated from an Iraqi hospital by U.S. commandos. It was unclear if the book cites American or Iraqi records.

A family spokesman, Stephen Goodwin, confirmed the book alleges Lynch was raped.

Dr. Mahdi Khafazji, an orthopedic surgeon at Nasiriyah's main hospital, performed surgery on Lynch to repair a fractured femur and said he found no signs that she was raped or sodomized.

Khafazji said he examined her extensively and would have detected signs of sexual assault.

Dr. Jamal al-Saeidi -- who examined Lynch at the now disbanded Military Hospital, where she was taken about an hour after the attack -- remembers seeing her motionless body on a bed in the crowded lobby of his hospital.

He said Lynch was fully clothed with her field jacket buttoned up. "Her clothes were not torn, buttons had not come off, her pants were zipped up," al-Saeidi said.

Lynch had lost more than half of her blood because of a 4- to 6-inch wound on the left side of her head, as well as broken limbs that caused internal bleeding, al-Saeidi said.

"We had a few minutes, golden minutes to save her," he said. He rushed her to the operating room, and gave her intravenous fluid and blood and stitched her head wound.

"Why are they saying such things?" said Khodheir al-Hazbar, the deputy director at Saddam Hospital, where Lynch stayed for nine days, until American commandos evacuated her. "We were good to her."

In the interview with ABC's Diane Sawyer, Lynch said she has no recollection of a rape. "Even just the thinking about that, that's too painful," she said.

Lynch told Sawyer she doesn't remember being slapped or mistreated at the hospital, and she recalled one nurse sang to her.

She also accused the military of using her capture and dramatic nighttime rescue to sway public support for the war in Iraq.

Video of U.S. commandos whisking Lynch to a waiting chopper helped cement Lynch's image as a hero. But in the "Primetime" interview to be aired on Tuesday, Lynch told Sawyer there was no reason for her rescue to be filmed.

"They used me as a way to symbolize all this stuff," Lynch said. "It's wrong."

That footage of U.S. commandos wheeling a grimacing Lynch to a waiting chopper was among the most dramatic of the war -- and helped cement her image as a female warrior. But Lynch said the true heroes were the soldiers who saved her.

"I'm so thankful that they did what they did; they risked their lives."

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
And whos to say her amnesia isn't a load of BS as well? I for one doubt anything she says or the govt says on her behalf, because we all know how honest they were a few months ago when she was initially captured and "rescued". I for one will boycott her movie and book and all shows she appears on.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Nitemare (how appropriate). Just shoot us a link that backs you up. I havent listed a link to support my statement and I'll tell you why.

The statement "You can't prove a null hypothesis." Means that there is no satisfactory way to prove that something doesn't exist. This is a maxim of science, not my personal opinion. You want to prove something exists, go ahead. I knew some ---I don't want to be insulting here --- poster would say, "What about Sadaam (or Uday)?" Some one has already answered this. That fact that it's happened doesn't mean it's a societal norm. After all, we generally don't approve of preemptive stikes based on suspicion, but it happened.

Rape is not a crime if it happens at home

"The age of marriage has been reduced for women from 18 to 9. All the harsh punishments prescribed under Islamic law are applicable to a 9-year old girl, whereas a 14 year old boy is still regarded underage and will not be subjected to such punishment until he is 15 (Paragraph 2, Article 1210, Civil Law). Furthermore, with the permission of the guardian (father or grandfather) and provided it is in the "best interest" of the ward, a girl can be married to a man even when she has not reached the age of consent, or indeed even when she is a baby girl (Article 1041 of Civil Law). This is legal child rape. "

How about a gang rape because her brother was seen walking with a girl?

Good news is that they were apprehended, but check out some of the other items on the page

Washington Posts article on it

The origins of women wearing head coverings was to prevent rape?

Nitemate, You say Arab culture is permissive of rape and you give us a link to an article about Pakistani tribal men and one from some completely uncredited site on Iran (Iranians are not Arab BTW, they are Persian). Bravo! All you people who still beleive that Arab culture in general is permissive of rape need to get your heads examined. Besides, has anyone provided a reliable statistic on rapes in Arab countries yet or are we just supposed to take Nitemare and smash's word for it? We don't have a particularly stellar record on rape in this country either, yet no one suggests that American culture is conducive to rape do they? There are bad people everywhere but a lot of you have a hard time understanding the concepts of generalizing and stereotyping. Then again, maybe it works to your political advantage to do so.

Our track record on rape is not that good either, but at least we don't have to have at least 4 male witnesses to proove that it was zina (rape). Also, in Muslim culture if a woman alleges rape and she can not find 4 male witnesses than she has committed Qazaf and is punished be receiving 80ish stripes across her back. How many rapes in this day and age have an audience?

So in Arab culture a raped person has only 2 recourses, lie and get 4 Muslim male friends to lie for you or just bend over and say thank you can I have another