Jessica Lynch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Whitling
Nitemare (how appropriate). Just shoot us a link that backs you up. I havent listed a link to support my statement and I'll tell you why.

The statement "You can't prove a null hypothesis." Means that there is no satisfactory way to prove that something doesn't exist. This is a maxim of science, not my personal opinion. You want to prove something exists, go ahead. I knew some ---I don't want to be insulting here --- poster would say, "What about Sadaam (or Uday)?" Some one has already answered this. That fact that it's happened doesn't mean it's a societal norm. After all, we generally don't approve of preemptive stikes based on suspicion, but it happened.

Rape is not a crime if it happens at home

"The age of marriage has been reduced for women from 18 to 9. All the harsh punishments prescribed under Islamic law are applicable to a 9-year old girl, whereas a 14 year old boy is still regarded underage and will not be subjected to such punishment until he is 15 (Paragraph 2, Article 1210, Civil Law). Furthermore, with the permission of the guardian (father or grandfather) and provided it is in the "best interest" of the ward, a girl can be married to a man even when she has not reached the age of consent, or indeed even when she is a baby girl (Article 1041 of Civil Law). This is legal child rape. "

How about a gang rape because her brother was seen walking with a girl?

Good news is that they were apprehended, but check out some of the other items on the page

Washington Posts article on it

The origins of women wearing head coverings was to prevent rape?

Kipper

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2000
I think people are taking this Jessica Lynch thing too far. Sure, she was a POW and may have gone through hell. But that does not mean she should be an instant hero...there's something wrong with the logic here. :disgust:

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: MadCowDisease
I think people are taking this Jessica Lynch thing too far. Sure, she was a POW and may have gone through hell. But that does not mean she should be an instant hero...there's something wrong with the logic here. :disgust:

She is a not bad looking young white girl. Draw your own conclusions.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
It really sucks that she got caught in such a horrible situation but ya gotta admit that the Republicans (or at least the folks producing her movie) are probably going to exploit this news about her like every other bit. They're gonna dispict Iraqi's as rapists and every republican with an agenda is going to mention it in their speeches

.......no, no don't look at me like that. You know its gonna happen

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I guess she can't wear white at her wedding now..
rolleye.gif

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: tallest1
It really sucks that she got caught in such a horrible situation but ya gotta admit that the Republicans (or at least the folks producing her movie) are probably going to exploit this news about her like every other bit. They're gonna dispict Iraqi's as rapists and every republican with an agenda is going to mention it in their speeches

.......no, no don't look at me like that. You know its gonna happen

Yup, just like all the Dem's will point out all our boys who have died, yet their signature was on their death warrant

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
some of you need to turn in your American citizenship cards.

anyone who goes into battle for the country, becomes a POW, and still comes home alive is a hero.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
I guess she can't wear white at her wedding now..
rolleye.gif

Oh that's uncalled for... show some respect for an ex-POW...

I agree she's not the hero the media portraits her to be, but she DID get captured in combat and went through hell...

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Tnitsuj:

I don't believe that story in the link is true. Very hard for me to believe. Also, did you read the "Disclaimer" at the bottom of the page. Man giveth, the lawyers taketh away. :)

-Robert

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
MaxDepth:

Too many video games have fried what little brain you possess.

That is a truly vulgar and inappropriate comment.

-Robert

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: chess9
Tnitsuj:

I don't believe that story in the link is true. Very hard for me to believe. Also, did you read the "Disclaimer" at the bottom of the page. Man giveth, the lawyers taketh away. :)

-Robert

It is a true story. I had heard of the incident prior to this being published in the Haaretz magazine last friday. Haaretz is a major Israeli newspaper not prone to making things up. Just because it is hard to believe doesn't mean that it and other incidents like it didn't happen.

here is a link to letters to the editor in response to that article:

Haaretz Letters to the Editor

prometheusxls

Apr 27, 2003

I agree 100%. I don't think anyone really cares about Jessica Lynch.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
How come they didn't rape the other female POW who was taken with Lynch and was in much better condition?

Doesn't quite add up...of course I didn't see the medical records.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

She is a not bad looking young white girl. Draw your own conclusions.

You saw her pic on abcnews? Not too shabby. I guess that's why there's no rape story for the fat non-white woman that was captured too.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Tnitsuj:

None of the letter writers confirm the event. Also, the orginal story seems very thin on supporting names and documentation. The writer is a well-known reporter but that still doesn't make it true. I simply cannot get my mind around that sort of thing happening. When I served in the military there were days when I thought I would do anything to just SEE a woman, but I can safely say I would have never forced myself upon a woman in such a manner. Furthermore, I find the "uncleanliness" of the whole thing as a further barrier to its plausability. Finally, given the age of the allegations, with no one around to correct the record, so to speak, I think we should take this story cum granulo salis. Frankly, I've only read of a few alleged instances of Jewish soldiers raping Arab women and I can't recall any corroborated events, to say nothing of convictions. (Which doesn't mean it's never happened. My memory isn't a steel trap like it was 50 years ago. :) )

Something else. The translation is very bad so that might be part of the problem.

-Robert

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
How come they didn't rape the other female POW who was taken with Lynch and was in much better condition?

There were OTHER female POWs with her??? I thought Lynch got all the attention because she was the only female but if thats true....

NorthRiver

Golden Member
May 6, 2002

There were OTHER female POWs with her??? I thought Lynch got all the attention because she was the only female but if thats true....

There was a black girl to. I think she was a cook.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: chess9
Tnitsuj:

None of the letter writers confirm the event. Also, the orginal story seems very thin on supporting names and documentation. The writer is a well-known reporter but that still doesn't make it true. I simply cannot get my mind around that sort of thing happening. When I served in the military there were days when I thought I would do anything to just SEE a woman, but I can safely say I would have never forced myself upon a woman in such a manner. Furthermore, I find the "uncleanliness" of the whole thing as a further barrier to its plausability. Finally, given the age of the allegations, with no one around to correct the record, so to speak, I think we should take this story cum granulo salis. Frankly, I've only read of a few alleged instances of Jewish soldiers raping Arab women and I can't recall any corroborated events, to say nothing of convictions. (Which doesn't mean it's never happened. My memory isn't a steel trap like it was 50 years ago. :) )

Something else. The translation is very bad so that might be part of the problem.

-Robert

Well, just because you won't do it, doesn't mean others wouldn't. We've all heard stories from Vietnam. I think if you remove accountablity and add that with I'm horny and she's an enemy. the chance of a rape increases.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Stop calling Jessica Lynch a "hero" - she's not. Even from her own words, she feels she's not:

In the interview, Lynch also clears up conflicting stories about her actions during the March 23 ambush in which Lynch was taken prisoner. Initial reports portrayed the Army supply clerk, then 19, as a hero who was wounded by Iraqi gunfire but kept firing until her ammunition ran out, shooting several Iraqis.

But Lynch confirms that was not the case. She tells Sawyer she was just a soldier in the wrong place at the wrong time, whose gun jammed during the chaos. "I'm not about to take credit for something I didn't do," she tells Sawyer in the interview, airing Tuesday, Nov. 11.

"I did not shoot, not a round, nothing," she tells Sawyer. "When we were told to lock and load, that's when my weapon jammed ? I did not shoot a single round ? I went down praying to my knees. And that's the last I remember."

Lynch, now 20, says she feels hurt to have received praise she says her colleagues deserved. "It hurt in a way that people would make up stories that they had no truth about. They did not know whether I did that or not. Only I would have been able to know that, because the other four people on my vehicle aren't here to tell that story. So I would have been the only one able to say, 'Yeah, I went down shooting.' But I didn't. I did not."

Link

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

Yep, there was another African-American female soldier captured as well... But apparently she was given pretty well treatment... only suffered minor injuries.... She was filmed during her captivity and shown on TV along with the other males POWs...

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Stop calling Jessica Lynch a "hero" - she's not. Even from her own words, she feels she's not:

In the interview, Lynch also clears up conflicting stories about her actions during the March 23 ambush in which Lynch was taken prisoner. Initial reports portrayed the Army supply clerk, then 19, as a hero who was wounded by Iraqi gunfire but kept firing until her ammunition ran out, shooting several Iraqis.

But Lynch confirms that was not the case. She tells Sawyer she was just a soldier in the wrong place at the wrong time, whose gun jammed during the chaos. "I'm not about to take credit for something I didn't do," she tells Sawyer in the interview, airing Tuesday, Nov. 11.

"I did not shoot, not a round, nothing," she tells Sawyer. "When we were told to lock and load, that's when my weapon jammed ? I did not shoot a single round ? I went down praying to my knees. And that's the last I remember."

Lynch, now 20, says she feels hurt to have received praise she says her colleagues deserved. "It hurt in a way that people would make up stories that they had no truth about. They did not know whether I did that or not. Only I would have been able to know that, because the other four people on my vehicle aren't here to tell that story. So I would have been the only one able to say, 'Yeah, I went down shooting.' But I didn't. I did not."

Link

Good for her for stepping up and admitting that, and not taking credit for things she didn't do....

I heard before there was actually one male soldier in her unit who went down with guns blazing, killing several enemy soldiers... but sadly he didn't make it out alive...

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
"The records do not tell whether her captors assaulted her almost lifeless, broken body after she was lifted from the wreckage, or if they assaulted her and then broke her bones into splinters until she was almost dead," Bragg continues.

Bragg wrote Lynch's biography (and I assume) had access to her medical records (don't know how he would manage that one). Anyway, it's very easy to tell the difference between vehicular trauma . . . and even a savage beatdown, gang rape. Somebody is trying to sell books . . . not tell the truth.

I won't buy the book or watch the movie but I hope Lynch has a wonderful wedding and makes a semblance of an attempt to fade into obscurity . . . so she can have a somewhat normal life.

elanarchist

Dec 8, 2001
Lynch has finally admitted that the military outright lied about the details of her rescue to make it seem more dramatic, heroic, and patriotic than what actually transpired:

Jessica Lynch criticized military for exaggerating accounts of her rescue and recasting her ordeal as patriotic fable.... MORE.. Asked by ABCNEWS anchor Diane Sawyer if military's portrayal of rescue bothered her, Lynch said: 'Yeah, it does. It does that they used me as a way to symbolize all this stuff. Yeah, it's wrong' ... Asked how she felt about reports of her heroism: 'It hurt in a way that people would make up stories that they had no truth about. Only I would have been able to know that, because the other four people on my vehicle aren't here to tell the story. So I would have been the only one able to say, Yeah, I went down shooting. But I didn't' ... Asked about claims the military exaggerated danger of the rescue mission: 'Yeah, I don't think it happened quite like that'...

And no, this isn't from some wacky liberal news source, but instead from one of the facades of conservatives on the Internet, http://www.drudgereport.com/